1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Howdy, new here, looking for answers.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by jharris1313, Jan 15, 2020.

1. jharris1313

jharris1313 New Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Here is my story.

About 3 +years ago I started having “issues” One evening I was sitting by the fire having few drinks ( not remotely close to buzzed) when suddenly I started getting really loud ringing tones in my right ear, horrible dizziness, blurred vision in my right eye and severely nauseous to where I wanted to puke. I had to crawl my way inside the house because standing was not an option. I made my way to the couch where after 45 minutes everything returned to normal except the ringing and slight dizziness. The next few days after I experienced sporadic ringing, dizziness as though I’m on a boat, nausea. and small black spots in my vision. Went to the doctor he said it was ALLERGIES. and that was that. But symptoms persisted. A few months later I woke one morning to having no hearing in my right ear. Freaked out I went to the doctor who couldn’t find anything. The hearing eventually came back later that same day. Around the same time this all started I became ultra sensitive to what would usually be soft noises seemed to be extra loud. Not convinced there was something more going on I went to see a neurologist who was zero help and more bent on telling me it was sleep apnea. Had MRI and nothing. Still have symptoms today. I have had more episodes of hearing going and coming in my left and right. Dizziness, and The tinnitus episodes. I’m starting to think this is Meniere's. I’m getting desperate looking for answers. I have an appointment tomorrow with an ENT who deals with it. Since this has started I have More (mini) attacks than I do big ones.

All Symptoms:

Horrible Dizziness

Tinnitus (bi lateral)

Hearing (sudden deafness gradually going back to normal)

Blurry vision (black spots once)

Nausea

Rocking boat effect

Sensitivity to sound (normal sounds are louder and hurt)

Off balance for a few days.

headaches

Hope to talk soon,

- J

2. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Has anyone checked to see if it’s MAV?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    J, it took about a year an a half for my annoying symptoms to escalate into hyperacusis, severe hearing loss in one ear, very loud tinnitus, and major and frequent vertigo attacks. All the while, I was seeing 2 different ENT docs in 2 separate practices, who over that time prescribed two MRIs, a hearing aid, a diuretic, a different diuretic, Sudafed for a couple of weeks, an antibiotic for a couple of weeks, and an anti-nausea drug for vertigo attacks which doesn't work. In that time, I started the JOH plan and vitamins B5 & B6 based on all the good results people here talk about. I am very careful with the diet recommendations you will hear from your ENT doc--low salt, no caffeine and no alcohol which put a big damper on my 2 glasses of wine a night habit, yet, things got worse. Finally, I asked the doc for an antiviral Rx based on discussions on this forum. I started Acyclovir 800 mg., 3x/day. It took a few weeks to make a difference, and then I had 3 weeks of vertigo-free life and the doc cut it back to 2x/day. Then a miserable week and the doc wanted to start ear injections. I resisted this, based on the comments from my "new friends" on this site and decided to be patient. Now I'm into my 9th week of no vertigo! I don't know if my remission is due to the antiviral drug or the combination of that with JOH and the vitamins, which are supposed to take a more time to be effective, but I intend to stay on all of that because being vertigo free is a huge relief and I can only hope and pray it holds.

You are smart to start with an ENT doc, and we will all be interested in what the doc advises for you. Be sure to reference this forum and the discussion of antivirals that you find here. I wish my doc would have started that Rx for me earlier. Most docs don't offer it without the patient asking for it, and I still don't know why. It seems like a no-brainer to start with that. It will either work, or not, and doesn't seem like a risk in any way. And please post here about your visit. You will have many people interested. All the best.

4. djrugg

djrugg Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Hi Diane,

Thank you for the informative post. I’m interested in the feedback you received on this site regarding ear injections. I’m assuming steroid injections in the ear. I’ve heard that in most cases steroid injections don’t work, but the risks are minimal. I would appreciate any information or references that you may have. I haven’t found much searching the site. If you meant gentamicin injections, my apologies.

5. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    You need to treat for MAV to determine if you have it. I know of no test to diagnose MAV. I went more than 3 years before I went down the MAV path. Turns out my Vertigo responded to MAV treatments, so I am told I have MAV. Don't get me wrong. I am grateful for the determination. It's unfortunate that the medical industry is so immature in regards to these disorders.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    +1 for investigating MAV. Lots of good posts about that on the forum. Research!

7. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    DJ, if you search "steroid injections" in the upper corner of this page, you will find many posts with reference to this. Here's one horror story from Clare. I remember others saying the shots may help but they are usually a temporary fix.

8. djrugg

djrugg Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Thanks!