1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Huey Lewis has Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by James, Apr 13, 2018.

1. tornadito68

tornadito68 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    He says that things were weird a lot. Things are weird with Menieres. It's hard to explain at times. I can relate to the fact that he goes hiking and he had no choice but to keep his balance. I feel that way when I go mountain biking.

2. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I’ve also sent the story to TheRubinReport via Twitter. Please consider sending your own tweets at the above mentioned and at anyone you feel may respond. Get the message out. Be loud enough someone with 50%+ hearing loss would notice.

3. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Tweet this story to:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RubinReport

https://mobile.twitter.com/theneedledrop

https://mobile.twitter.com/mundanematt

And tell them you’d like to see awareness for Meniere’s disease. Please share any other personalities that may help spread awareness.

Posting here what I’ve posted on FB

4. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    It’s frustrating to explain it because there are so many facets. You can tell he has it by the way he tries. I need to get back on my bike, it’s been a long time.

5. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Progressive and literally deafening, drunken-quaalude, ringing ear pressure. I think he was trying to avoid how mentally brutal it is. He did say most of his success was with alternative healing. Designed frameworks of ignorance — which is effective to a point. I find it hard to be upfront with my girlfriend about every nuisance (and it probably wouldn’t be advisable, usually). Systems of ignorance are kinda built-in. Then, when she asks why I’ve suddenly said no to something I was doing before, she thinks it’s an abrupt problem rather than one that built over time.

6. Kristen Chenowith (also a singer) has Meniere's. There are definitely more celebrities dealing with this than the average person knows!

7. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    I watched her interview with Dave Letterman. She talked about MM for a while but it seemed with all of the exposure she gets she would promote awareness and research of the disease.

8. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Joey Lewis, or at least the person who runs his FB Page “liked” the comment I left there recently. There are over 12,000 comments so that’s cool. Here’s what I wrote.

Huey, I’ve been suffering from this disease for over 10 years. As you know, it sucks and the answers are foggy and hard to come by. More than anything, we need more awareness and more research done for possible treatments that work. You are in a very unique position to bring this disease out of the shadows. But first, get well and know that all of us fellow Ménièreians stand with you!

9. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    ^^ Should say Huey, not Joey.

10. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    Sorry, not to be a downer but I don't think Huey Lewis is going to become the poster child for Meniere's anytime soon. If the average person finds out that he has hearing issues, most will shrug it off as the consequences of a life in rock 'n roll. Also, his star has faded somewhat. He's just not that big of a celebrity anymore. To really draw attention to the cause, we need someone with a lot of clout, someone like Oprah.

11. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    We have Dana White, President of the UFC. But he's a scumbag who no one trusts.

12. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Lol, this is true. Kristen Chenowith would probably be the best one to get a message out there.

13. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    We don't need someone famous to be effective. There a few celebrities that would probably assist if they saw a directed community trying hard to raise awareness and funding.

We've gotta try before anyone else will. Wishing upon a star isn't action. If they eventually support us, that's awesome. If not, does anyone really want to wait to be represented by an unlikely savior?

14. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Huey was on the Today show talking about MM.

https://www.today.com/health/huey-lewis-anguish-hearing-loss-i-may-never-sing-again-t128471?cid=sm_npd_td_fb_ma

15. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks for the link.

I'm glad Huey doesn't seem to have spinning.

It's unfortunate when people/celebs, say that there's no cure for MD. While this is technically true, it's misleading. It probably causes much fear and sadness to people hearing it. They can say the "no cure" thing, but in the same breath should say "BUT there's surgical fixes for the vertigo, the worst part about it."

My God. When I first starting reading about my MD, the only thing that stood out was the big NO CURE. It made me stop reading for weeks.