1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

I thought the antivirals were helping me..

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Dnrpn, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dnrpn

Dnrpn Member

May 11, 2019
    Canada
    I was recently thinking about posting my success story with valtrex until everything came back!! I don’t know what to think now and am totally crushed. I am scheduled to do a gradual return to work on dec 16th, but this was based on 11 weeks of great improvement that is no longer.

I initially was having episodes of roaring left sided tinnitus, fullness, pressure, foggy head, head vibrating, decreased hearing in low range. Some lightheadedness. These episodes were present more often than not. Almost always. Serc didn’t work. No identifiable triggers.
    I started 3000 valtrex in May after discovering this forum. Things got worse for a month or so, then eased. I decreased to 2000 in July. Things weren’t perfect but it was less frequent and less intense. Very exciting. I decreased to 1000 at the end of August. One week later my symptoms came back like crazy. I immediately went back up to 2000, and within ten days I was ok.
    I had almost 11 weeks from that point on of almost no symptoms!! life! Some rumbling and ringing and off feeling but that’s it. I was certain the valtrex was responsible.

then last Friday I woke in the morning to everything back strong for 2 days. I’m still having symptoms, a bit less, but today even seemed to increase compared to last 2 days. This is day 6 :(

Has anyone’s experience been like this? Was it just a coincidence? My fear is that I’m back to my usual hell of almost always having symptoms and I can’t work. I’m still taking 2000 valtrex.
    Thanks so much for your time.

2. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I have relapses on avs. Usually it means your system is be weaken by something else, allowing virus to flare up. Go back to 3000mg until you feel better. Did your pharmacy change brands of your medication? Hang in there. Sorry about your set back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dnrpn

Dnrpn Member

May 11, 2019
    Canada
    Thank you for your reply. I get name brand Valtrex so it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll increase to 3000. I really want to go back to work! It’s been 2.5 years! how often do you get flares and how long do they last?

4. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Once or twice a year. They usually last one week. They are never as bad as when I wasn’t on av. I have been pregnant 3x while on av and I have had 6 weeks long flares each time. I think pregnancy is an immune suppressor so I think maybe that’s why? You’ll have to be the judge of what happens with you. I keep a log. I have for 4 years. I record the bad days. I can look back and try to see what was going on, how long the flares lasted, what times of year they happened, etc. It’s helpful and it encourages me to see that the bad times don’t last forever.

5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Meniere's is pretty random, but the attacks generally increase in frequency, in starts and fits, the longer you have it. But, as some recent posts have noted, there can be environmental factors like barometric pressure that can play a role. And stress, too. Some people say the vertigo will "burn out" over time, but that wasn't my experience. With any treatment, it's difficult to make a cause-effect relationship since the attacks are so random. I found it helpful to accept that I won't be able to control it, won't know the cause, and just have to deal with it on a day-to-day basis, relishing any good time I got. Eventually I had to change careers to something I could do from home. Then even working from home became impossible. When the attacks progressed in frequency to the point of life not worth living, a labyrinthectomy restored me and connected me with the world around me once again. Life is so much better now.

6. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Dnrpn,

It sounds like the anti virals were working but the dosage was lowered. With the anti viral approach that many of us take, we are not getting rid of the virus we are suppressing it. The longer you can stay on 3000 mg the better. For me , I stay on 3000mg I do not taper, plus I take JOH regimen. I do not see a benefit to tapering the dosage. I get blood work once a year, and the doctors have not found anything.

I hope you feel better soon.

Blake

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Great summary, Jon. Really appreciate it.

You mention number of pills of monolaurin but not specific dosage amounts. Are they pretty standard? I started on monolaurin two weeks ago and have been taking 2 pills per day. 2 pills = 1 serving =990mg. Are you saying to work up to 6 pills per day (i.e. 3 servings)?

8. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Excellent plan!!!!!!!!!!