1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

IF YOU HAVE MÉNIÈRE’S YOU ALMOST CERTAINLY HAVE LEAKY GUT

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mindosa, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    In a 2017 study by the American Journal of Otolaryngology, 100% of symptomatic Ménière’s sufferers had a leaky gut. Leaky gut is when holes appear between the cells of the gut wall, allowing undigested food, toxins and microbes into the body via the bloodstream.

Once in the bloodstream, the undigested gluten is seen as a foreign invader. This triggers an immune response, which over the long term may lead to Ménière’s in susceptible individuals.

Laura Fisher Nutrition

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...0b2576265ca8/1539096847978/MENIERES_EBOOK.pdf

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  2. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I for sure have leaky gut.

3. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Just to chime in — I think it's important to address the claim made in the title of this thread is a gross mishandling of the research.

The article Fisher is referring to concludes: "An altered intestinal permeability, according to the two assays, was found only in symptomatic MD patients. The rationale for a possible relationship between MD and intestinal permeability is forwarded."

Even the original article suggests we cannot say Meniere's patients "almost certainly" have leaky gut. It says future research is warranted to either validate or problematize the relationship between MD and intestinal permeability. It's a fallacy of induction to conclude otherwise based on this study alone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Christian S

Christian S New Member

Oct 1, 2021
    I have ulcerative colitis as well as MD. My ENT said if he had to pick an underlying issue for my MD, it would be an autoimmune cause. Funnily enough, when I finally found a diet that calmed my colitis down, two months later I had my first Menieres attack. So as my gut health was waaay better, I got MD. My psychotherapist told me it sounded like a ''sympton shift''. Currently, I am trying to treat it as the herpes inflammation. I am slowly looking into trying a new diet that adresses autoimmune causes more than the herpes thing. I simply dont know... but what do I have to lose?

I would be careful with ANY 99-100% claims when it comes to those types of diseases. We simply dont know. Yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    I had just recently posted on the forum about Histamine Intolerance and my opinion that it may be a major causative factor for MD.

Histamine intolerance goes hand in hand with leaky gut and SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). It goes something like this: bacterial overgrowth and issues with the bacterial composition of the intestinal tract leads to inflammation and leaky gut which leads to histamine intolerance and the histamine messes everyone up in many different ways....

Bottom line... it may not all be in your head (the ears specifically) - there's a good chance it's what's going on in your gut too...

6. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    thank you. The OP is posting misleading information for some MM people who are desperate for help.

7. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Check: University of Granada researchers identify genes linked to tinnitus and MD

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    I don't think so. I got it in both ears due to COVID 19 vaccines I took on June. I am so mad at myself. I am only 47 years old and I want to live and build on my career. Last week boss told me to either leave voluntarily or take a short term disability. I don't want to be this person. I keep thinking in my head how it would be if I did not take the vaccine. My life would be normal and now I screed. I always wanted to exceed in life but now I am just existing. I am experiencing brain fog and not even sure how I am able to work. Also I took the vaccine because we were supposed to be back in the office in June. I did not even think about it and bam. I can just cry over my stupidity.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Lana,
    Why do you think, if you have Meniere's, that it was caused by Covid vaccines? You say you had a vaccine in June and yet your symptoms didn't start until October. What's the connection?

I don't want to offend you, but do you even know for sure that you have Meniere's? I think you need to get your anxiety over a possible MM diagnosis under control. Get your head on straight and start to think rationally.

Your life is not over. For what it's worth, I've had MM for around 47 years. Part of that time I had it in only one ear, but it became bilateral later on, after I'd had a VNS in the first MM ear. So, I have no balance function on one side and a compromised balance system on the other. I am deaf in one ear and have severe hearing loss in the other. Life goes on. I have raised a family and now enjoy two granddaughters. I worked at a very stressful job for awhile, until I found a job I loved.

If you are having a horrible vertigo attack, of course you're going to be down for the count, but on all the other days, if you learn some coping skills, you can work, drive and still enjoy life.

It makes me sad that you're in such a state of despair. I hope you can find the help you need to help you cope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  10. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Hi Cherry please see the link below:Otologic Manifestations After COVID-19 Vaccination: The House Ear Clinic Experience - PubMed
    And yes my life is ruined. I have worked in banking industry and got education as well. I am going to lose my job and be forced to file for bankruptcy. Yup and probably go to jail due to unpaid medical bills and tax for this year. Yeah. Instead of living a normal life I got myself ruined over the stupid vaccine now that everyone is going to leave COVID 19 begin I am going to be a homeless person. If I had known had to end it successfully I would do it now.

11. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Lana, I may be missing something but the study you linked to states there is no "definite correlation to COVID 19 or the vaccination..." to the oto symptoms.

If you indeed feel your "life is ruined" then please reach out for some assistance. There are people/agencies available to get you through these feelings of crisis. Start with your family doctor and look him/her straight in the eye and tell them how you feel and your thoughts on what to do about it. They can at least get you set on a path toward help.

God bless you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    that study >>> "There are no definite correlations to the COVID-19 pandemic or vaccination and new or worsened otologic symptoms." Blaming the vaccine seems convenient to me. MM is caused by other things most of which are unknown.
    Lana, I have had MM for decades. Today marks the twelfth day into brain fog, dizziness, disequilibrium, fatigue and nausea, but I refuse to surrender and I am being as productive as I can. I lost two careers and all of my savings and my investment monies because the MM disabled me and I could not do my job. I went bankrupt and lost so much because of that. I lost my truck and almost lost my home. Yet I maintain a positive attitude and do what I can in my truncated world. No matter how I feel there is always something to celebrate. There is something positive in every day and I always find it. Always. It seems to me that you are sinking into mental and emotional unwellness. Please reach out to people who will gladly help you. Your life is not ruined unless you allow that. Normal is different now and the old normal will never return. That is sad and even horrible, and seemingly unmanageable but life is still here waiting for you to embrace it. I am not writing to put you down, but rather to encourage you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dolfan

dolfan Member

May 20, 2014
    Miami

14. dolfan

dolfan Member

May 20, 2014
    Miami
    I believe you Lana and I'm sorry that you are going through this. I got the booster 1 month ago and my condition is like it has never been before. The first two shots did not affect me at all. The booster went well up until 4 days later. It could be the antibodies building up and causing a reaction....at least that's what I'm hoping. I have generally felt bad for over 25 years, but nothing like this.

15. Tim Spetzman

Tim Spetzman New Member

Feb 17, 2022
    Minnesota
    I have had Meniere's since 2017. I just had a colonoscopy last month and they said that everything looked good.They deliberately checked the walls of my colon too.
    No issues...