1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Incredible motivational double success story!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mindosa, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I have found and I want to share this incredible story!

Short story:

Alan Shepard become the first American man in space. His promising astronautical career was soon scuttled by spells of dizziness and tinnitus later diagnosed as Ménière’s disease, until William F. House performed endolymphatic-subarachnoid shunt—for the treatment of his inner-ear disease. The procedure was remarkably successful.

Within 6 months Alan Shepard was symptom-free. Dr. House soon formally declared that the Ménière’s was cured, but not quite in time for him to pilot the doomed Apollo 13 mission; he was reassigned to Apollo 14 and as a result would step foot on the moon on February 5, 1971.

full text:

Rear Admiral (Astronaut) Alan Shepard: Ménière’s disease and the race to the moon in: Journal of Neurosurgery Volume 131 Issue 1 (2019)

Have a good reading!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    My friend, I'm sorry to say, this story (in general) is old news. For anyone who is interested and doesn't know his story: Shepard was grounded by NASA from 1963-1969. He really remained a desk jockey until his 2nd, and final, flight in 1971. From the rest of 1971-1974 he again returned to desk duty, in the same position as Chief of the Astronaut Office, until his retirement.

It's just too bad he wasn't more of an advocate for our community. Every time I pass the, "Admiral Alan B Shepard Hwy," sign my blood boils.

The clinic is famous. Seemingly, as a result of Shephard's, "miraculous," cure. While they may offer some wonderful treatments that work for some people, I know for a fact their treatments do not work for everyone, so please remember that there is still no one size treatment for this disease. This clinic is no better than any other specialized clinic. They just happen to have treated an early astronaut.

The whole world used to be inspired by astronauts. Here's hoping the SpaceX astronauts make it back from the International Space Station. I don't know about anyone else, but that's the incredible story I want to read!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Yep, this is an old story. This happened about 50 years ago, but I believe, not everyone in this forum knows about it, so I thought is worth to share ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I was told that "The Right Stuff" miniseries on Disney+ has his Ménière's disease as a plot point