1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Investigating Labyrinthectomy

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Marta, Nov 10, 2019 at 1:30 PM.

1. Marta

Marta Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I have been reading about laby recently and I found the old posts very informative.
    I have a question to everyone who underwent the mentioned above surgery: did you have drop attacks alongside vertigo? Also what happens if the disease spreads to the other ear?
    What are the options?

2. Philip valenti

Philip valenti New Member

Sunday
    New York
    I suggest exhausting all options first. I was 5 days away from doing that surgery thank god I canceled it. I got on a steroid for a short period got on a diaretic which I still take I started the John from Ohio supplements regimne and I went on a 1500mg per day diet and I’m doing great for about 2 years now. I know you feel like crap now but Don’t rush into that surgery. It took me a while but I’ve found tons of low sodium options out there. And a way to condense the regimne. you may have to continue to buy the supplements but if that’s the cost of no vertigo, who cares!
    Good luck Marta stay strong!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  3. Cheryl

Cheryl Member

May 23, 2014
    Marta, I hope your doctor will agree to a labyrinthectomy or VNS, whatever you choose. You are strong, but you have suffered too much and too long with the horrific vertigo attacks. It's time to do something to put an end to the vertigo, once and for all. I know you have tried everything under the sun. Sometimes nothing works and you have to take more desperate measures. Good luck at your upcoming appointment.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Yes I had drop attacks along with all the other horrible symptoms of menieres. When all else fails we are very fortunate to be able to once and for all be rid of the beast by choosing surgery. I have no regrets for choosing the laby. My OTO told me I would never have to live a life of silence if I do become bilateral. By leaving the cochlear in place I would be a candidate for a cochlear implant. So if you do decide on a laby make sure your cochlear is left intact. Once I started having drop attacks my decision to go forward with the laby was a no brainier. I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    My attacks were getting more frequent, sudden, and without any warning at all, but not quite to the degree of a drop attack. Had my laby over a year ago and don't regret it for a second. Ending the vertigo was the expected thing, but the laby also ended the anxiety that had taken a parasitic position in my life. So great to be free!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Marta

Marta Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Thank you all for your time to respond to me. I shall see what the doctor has to offer on 27th November.

7. Mustang1

Mustang1 New Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    I had only one drop attack along with lots of sudden vertigo, that was enough to push me into getting the laby. I had my surgery less than 3 months ago, I am back doing everything I was doing several years ago.
    Best of luck to you.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    A lot of people contact me about the laby, my experience, advice ect.....and I always tell them what Sid and so many others on this forum would tell me.... you’ll know when it’s time!!!

For me it was when mm became more than a nuisance in my life. It was when I went to dark places about life, not knowing if I would be able to enjoy my kids, watch them grow up, be a part of their life, missing things like birthdays, Christmas shopping, school plays ect....

I had the same questions you have... what if this, what if that, other ear ect.... and I finally said it’s out of my control, it’s in Gods hands and if I get 1, 5 , 10 or even more good years out of it, it was more than I was getting and so it became worth it.

I then met a man in our support group who because of 2 acoustic neuromas he had to destroy both his balance nerves via surgery and he would always tell me how fortunate he was and that life was still good. He had no issues except in the dark but he was still involved in his 5 kids and 12 grandkids lives, his church friends and looked forward to the day ahead of him.

“you will know when it’s time”
    and as Sid (who has no balance in both ears with a cochlear implant always used to tell me, “we got a life to live, it’s a good life, don’t be afraid it will all be ok”.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  9. Marta

Marta Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Mustang and Bulldog, thank you for your replies.
    Bulldog I totally agree with what you wrote. If only my doctor says YES, I am not going to hesitate. However I read somewhere that this type of surgery is not performed on patients with good hearing. And mine is good to the extent I don’t need a hearing aid. I have even been thinking of faking my hearing test. Perhaps that’s a silly thought but it did cross my mind.