1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is it the Menieres?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by taledo, Oct 30, 2019.

1. taledo

taledo New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I was diagnosed with Menieres in my left ear in 2007 and it has been up and down but thought it was under control with the daily doses of dyazide and rubinol that my ENT had me on and meclizine as needed for vertigo attacks.
    My ENT of 12 years retired in March of 2019 and after a horrible meeting with a possible new ENT I found Dr. Fitzgerald who told me that migraines and menieres have similar symptoms. After an ENG test he determined that I did have menieres and he took me off of the dyazide as prolonged use could cause problems. I was put on hydrochlorothiazide, rubinol and after a bad vertigo attack was taken off of the meclizine and put on .5mg dissolvable Xanax for vertigo attacks.
    Now I probably should mention that I am premenopausal and have had sinus issues in the past so when the tinnitus in my left ear got louder and the pressure in my ear is almost constant I thought it may be hormones or sinus infection or something else.

The anxiety is the worst though as I try to remain calm but dealing with vertigo attacks that could happen at any time causes one to be anxious. Trying to pop a Xanax in work and hope that it works enough to help you get you though the rest of the work day makes one anxious. Worrying about what happens if the attacks don't stop and you cannot work makes one anxious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    You are correct this is a very "anxious" disorder! And the more you stress about it the worse it can be. You have come to the right place for support and suggestions. Many of us have found a way to conquer the beast through different avenues. You just need to find what works best for you. Soon members will be adding to this thread and you will have all kinds of helpful information. Best of luck to you and welcome to the group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Taledo,

Welcome to the site. I understand exactly how you feel. Not knowing when your next vertigo attack will come can be miserable.

There is a ton of info on this site and there are many more treatment options available other than Xanax and diuretics.

I would definitely investigate other treatment options, antivirals helped myself and others on this site live a normal life.

4. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    Hi. I found what helped my anxiety was reading this forum and taking some control over my situation by trying some of the protocols suggested. I take Lysine, Monolaurin, lemon bioflavinoids and B5/B6. I have slowly introduced these and I think I will add Vitamin C next. As the original JOH regime suggested vertigoheel, I ordered some from Germany and that has proven to be my rescue med if I feel a dizzy coming on. Stress is a huge factor for me as is not enough sleep and too much sodium. I try to control all of these. I really get your comment about stress and trying to be functional at work. It is very difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1