1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is it worth getting prescription hearing aids ?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yellowboy, Oct 10, 2020.

1. yellowboy

yellowboy New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    When my tinnitus started 2 1/2 years ago I went to 3 audiologists. At that time my tinnitus was up and down - a 2 one day a ten the next, sometimes changing pitch. Two audiologists were only interested in selling me aids. The only honest one said since you change day to day just get a pair of over the counter for now, which I did.

I was diagnosed with menieres about 3 months ago and now my tinnitus is a constant #10 roar in my right ear all the time . The problem is that when I turn the right one up to hear over the tinnitus and loud noises like a car backfire will actually hurt.

I was wondering if prescription aids will work any better, especially on the bad ear. I am also wondering if they help with the distorted sounds and tones I can't make out Thanks

2. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    The key word here is aid. They are not perfect but I can't hear much without them. I think you can get aids that mask the tinnitus. I have behind the ear Phonak aids and I love them. They connect with bluetooth to my phone which helps tremendously. They also stream to the TV wirelessly so I turn the TV volume off so don't wake the wife early in AM. My aids are adjusted together so I can't turn one up or down. I have MD over 30 years and didn't get aids until my hearing leveled off. Aids are very expensive so if you can afford them I would say they are worth it.

3. yellowboy

yellowboy New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks am giving Costco pair a try next week. If they don't work out I can always return them.

4. JonBubo

JonBubo Member

Apr 11, 2019
    I am exploring all this now. Heady subject.
    Since the law changed allowing non prescription assitive devices to be made, a whole universe of products have opened up. Tons of manufanturers are joining in at MUCH better prices (100-500 vs 1000-10000).
    I started with a bone conduction device I wear while working and I can make calls. I can hear fairly well in my bad ear with this type (which has a 90% loss). Oddly, I can hear well even plugging both ears. Amazing tech. An app can be installed in your phone at a price to do the audiology testing. Still researching that one. May also need a smaller singlet over the ear bone conduction for other occasions. Sentien is coming out with an all day device next year. Looks interesting and will have an audiology test to fine tune. Lots to learn here.

5. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Member

May 12, 2014
    It was absolutely 100% worth it for me. I resisted it for several years and to this day, regret my stubbornness. At the time I had major fullness in addition to the tinnitus and the Rx aids made a HUGE difference, especially in the fullness which had been unbearable at times. Plus of course the "added benefit" of better hearing.

6. yellowboy

yellowboy New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks was going to do a for a "fitting" today but my Doc wants to do an MRI of my brain so he said to hold off for now.