1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is Smoke taste & smell associated with Menieres Disease

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by STEVEV, Mar 15, 2019.

1. STEVEV

STEVEV New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    I have experienced constant smell and taste of smoke over the last seven weeks after experiencing a vertigo attack and continually experience vertigo initially in the mornings and this has progressively gotten worse and now with me all day. I've had 3 courses of antibiotics for sinus infection which I've had none of the typical sinus infections symptoms and there has been no improvement. After spending 4 days in hospital for suspected TIA which has been negated. I have to visit ENT and Neurologist for follow up to determine the possible causes. I haven't been diagnosed with MD at this stage.
    I understand self diagnosis is frowned upon, but I would like know if anyone with MD has similar symptoms.
    I see no harm in take the B5/B6 as per BennyHills post as a possible way of reducing my vertigo.
    I look forward to your kind thoughts.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Smelling things that aren’t there... not a sign of Menieres. Please tell your doctor! It could be related to TIAs. Need to rule out more serious causes.

3. STEVEV

STEVEV New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    AnneT thank you for your reply.
    This symptom is at the top of my list when I see the ENT and Neurologist.
    MRI & CT Scans have shown no evidence of TIA. Though these were done 6 weeks after the initial episode.
    I hope they can paint a clearer picture of what is happening to me.
    Thank you
    Steve

4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    That’s good news that you’ve had both CT and MRIs. That should rule out the nasty potential causes.

Maybe there’s a secret smoker living nearby?!

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Migraine? I experienced phantom smell of smoke intermittently for a period of months. No cause discovered. It went away over time. It was confusing. Mostly i noticed it when sitting near noving air from a vent of some time.