1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is there someone in your life that talks too much?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Pupper, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I have a really tough time with such people. Motor mouths. Most people have a knack for being patient with them. Like it's a duty. I'm usually a polite person. But I will be rude in cutting them off, in a way purposely designed to make them suddenly aware of their domination and rudeness. I just don't have time for that crap. Other people get to talk TOO you freak! You unaware self absorbed freaking freak!

2. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    There used to be such a person, Pupper. She didn’t ever really listen, just waited for a chance to reply.

Unaware , self absorbed is an apt description. However once I made her aware that she was monopolizing every conversation that esentially was a monologue, she moved on to another target. I considered that a gift.

3. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I thought you were going to say something like, "she felt bad, and thanked me for making her aware of it, and she got better about it."

There's many annoying conversational types. A few off the top of me head.

A. Talks too much, doesn't listen, doesn't care.

B. Talks too much, pretends to listen, doesn't care.

C. Talks too much, listens, cares. (very female)

D. Talks normally, listens, doesn't care. little to no response, feedback or questions. (very male).

I've a friend who's a B. Most of the time he's not a motor mouth, but he tends to monologue about uninteresting things. For instance, unlike most people, he won't just give you a brief plot summary about a movie. He will attempt to tell you the whole movie. Or he will tell you certain events of his day in a very detailed manner. He expects you to pay attention through it.

But when I'm telling him something (with an awareness that one should try not to bore), he gets visibly impatient and almost willfully distracted. For instance, if I'm in the middle of telling him something (even something obviously important to me), and he sees a cute waitress he knows in the distance, he will almost always call to her and start doing his silly banter with her. Sometimes he'll turn back to me and pretend like he cares. Other times he'll forget I was talking and he'll just start on another subject.

4. I’m calling either possible attention deficit disorder, or just plain jack a$$ on this guy. I will say, however, that based on the little you have described, if you told me you asked the guy, “have you ever noticed you have problems paying attention, or tracking with a conversation?” He’ll probably tell you he’s noticed, and laugh. If it’s as bad as you say, and he’s experiencing this difficulty in other facets of his life it would certainly be a good idea to be evaluated, I should think. That’s just...tragic.

5. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I did mention something to him about it and he did get a bit better. You can tell he could still care less. But at least he tries to fake it better now.

He does well in his professional life (very narrow profession with low need for interpersonal skills). But not in his personal life. I've noticed that people who are conversationally selfish tend to be lonely...and like you allude to, never get a clue as to why...or know and don't care/can't change. His first dates never return his calls.

OK, lunch is over. Back to trying to forget I'm dizzy.