1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is this meniers?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Sandra005, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Sandra005

Sandra005 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Hi everyone I'm new to this site. I was diagnosed with bppv and positional persistent dizziness about 7 months ago. I first experienced vertigo the morning after a fun fair ride which makes sense. Crystals could of been dislodged. Immediately afterwards I felt I was on a boat and I had that on and off for a few days but the entire dizziness lasted 5 weeks. I had Brain fog, lightheadedness, tinnitus on and off and everytime I layed down I'm on that boat again but changing positions or getting up it went away so I controlled it.
    I booked a hearing test which I couldn't do due to a buildup of ear wax in my right ear which is also my bad ear.
    I mentioned to the audiologist a couple of my symptoms and he said it's highly likely meniers disease and that doctor hasn't been honest with me.
    I don't have the classic symptoms of meniers. I don't get the tinnitus, ear pressure and hearing loss during an episode of vertigo and my true vertigo only lasts a minute or so and only get that in bed. He said everyone is different but because I have bouts of vertigo "the feeling of being on a boat" and tinnitus it's meniers. I can control it by changing positions or by keeping still. It's mainly when I lay down nearly every nite I'm rocking. I don't understand because tinittus could be due to a build-up of earwax. I don't want him diagnosing me on just a hearing test. He also thinks I have bppv and I find it strange that a funfair ride has triggered 2 conditions.
    I've only had this for 7 months do don't know if I'll have reduction in hearing at an early stage if it is meniers. I have a microsunction earwax removal and hearing test next week but so nervous!

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    We are not doctors, but if you do not have tinnitus and hearing loss. Right now it is not minor, it can be vestibular migraine, benign positional vertigo, otitis, iron or vitamin B anemia, etc. But not Meniere.

What it can be is a Meniere that is starting and that the first symptom that has shown is vertigo. Not common, hearing loss or tinnitus usually appear first.

3. Sandra005

Sandra005 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks for the reply. It's difficult because there's no specific test to diagnose meniers. Yes I have tinnitus but that could be due to earwax as I have it in right ear and that can cause hearing loss. I am quite sure I have bppv and I find it odd that I'd have 2 conditions at the same time.i didn't know tinnitus starts first. Thanks I'll wait for my hearing test as I won't assume until I know.