1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.
John of Ohio

JOH (John of Ohio) Regimen for Meniere's Disease details

1. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    My tinnitus is very loud right now. I wanted to know if the vitamins D and k work for your tinnitus. Because I might try it

2. Conniempaul

Conniempaul New Member

Nov 27, 2023

I read that you can rub oregano oil on your low spine as thats where herpes virus hides and make it come out and then you take oil of oregano internally and it can kill it I never researched it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Jan 14, 2024
    The list of Arginine rich foods is long: Turkey, Pork, Red meat, Chicken, Pumpkin seeds, peanuts, walnuts, Eggs, Whole grains, Spinach etc. Would you know which foods have the most Arginine? That information would help. Thanks, Carmen

4. JanieJiffy

JanieJiffy Member

Apr 30, 2023
    JOH,

Thanks so much for the info on arginine. For years, I have been eating a ton of arginine-rich foods (especially, nuts, as well as chocolate) so I am sure I have been creating the perfect environment for the virus to flourish.

Besides using the Lysine as directed, I have also ordered the green tea extract so I can "hit it from every direction."

--Janiejiffy

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    As noted above, arginine is found in many foods. Trying a diet without any arginine would be difficult. And, yes, arginine is an essential amino acid for certain enzymes that replicate viruses. If those enzymes are diminished by a lack of available arginine in cells, viral replication is inhibited or terminated.

This is why it is crucial to consume lysine without food, at least 20 minutes before a meal, or 2 hours after eating food. Most food has some arginine, and if the lysine is mixed with it, the viral enzymes preferentially utilize the available arginine. But if the lysine is not mixed with any arginine (found in many foods), the lysine substitutes for the arginine in the viral replication enzymes. The enzymes are formed, but they are misshaped and can no longer synthesize new viruses.

To combat herpes viruses with lysine, take the lysine, as noted above, in the absence of food.

--John of Ohio

6. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Jan 14, 2024
    Hi John - would taking a anti viral like Acyclovir be more effective than Lysine? My Dr seems willing to prescribe that. Also, once the virus is under control are the anti virals to be taken on a long term basis? Thanks for your help. Carmen

7. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    I am not able to determine which is more effective as a herpes antiviral, Acyclovir or lysine. I've seen no studies on that subject. From the many dozens of reports I have from users of my regimen, it is clear that properly administered lysine has a success rate (suppression of Meniere's symptoms) of at least 85%.

Chronic (long-term) use of Acyclovir would be determined by a prescribing physician. I'm not familiar with the factors that would be weighed in considering chronic Acyclovir dosing. That's a question for a pharmacist or physician. But there seems to be minimal hazard with chronic dosing of lysine.

But in both cases, Meniere's symptoms should eventually subside, and after a good period of no symptoms, when the herpes virus is completely inactivated for a long period (many months, a year?) dosing can be terminated. That's called a "cure."

--John of Ohio

8. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Jan 14, 2024
    Thanks John. I'm hopeful that I feel "normal" in the near future. Again, thanks for your help.
    Carmen

9. EAOfficial

EAOfficial Member

Jan 10, 2024
    North Jersey

Uhhhh.... I don't know what the hell JOH is talking about, but it's pretty basic that am actual ANTIVIRAL will stop the virus more effectively than a freggin food ingredient.

Oh, and for anybody reading, you must understand, arginine is an amino acid. Amino acids are the basic building blocks of protein. Pretty much any protein is going to have arginine in it. The only thing that will vary is exactly how much. It's not really feasible to avoid it outside of some extreme dietary restrictions that would cause more problems than it would help.

10. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    "It's not really feasible to avoid it [arginine] outside of some extreme dietary restrictions that would cause more problems than it would help."

It is feasible to avoid food-borne concentrations of arginine that would otherwise contribute to viral replication enzymes. Understand, if arginine is available, from food, it is preferentially taken up and used in the synthesis of viral replication enzymes. That's why to be effective in suppressing viral replication enzymes, the amino acid lysine must be taken in the absence of foods containing arginine. (Lysine is not "a freggin food ingredient." It's a natural amino acid, similar to arginine.)

The easiest way to do this is to take the lysine by itself, absent of any foods. No foods, no arginine. The lysine amino acids are then taken up in the synthesis of viral replication enzymes --- but if they have lysines filling in for arginines, the enzymes don't effectively replicate viruses. Just what is needed to stop the herpes virus infections of the inner ear that cause Menier's symptoms. Simply, take the lysine, by itself, at least 20 minutes before a meal, or 2 hours after a meal. With that, there will be no arginine to include in the viral replication enzymes. The enzymes with lysine instead of arginine are made, but they don't cause replications of viruses.

--John of Ohio

11. EAOfficial

EAOfficial Member

Jan 10, 2024
    North Jersey
    An amino acid. Where would you find amino acids? In proteins. Where would you find proteins? In food. It's a part of food, semantics of the word "ingredient" notwithstanding. Though they also use it as an ingredient.

I mean, like, seriously?

Ok, just to be clear, are you going to claim "you don't know" whether lysine is as effective as antivirals?

12. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    EAOfficial, antivirals require a doctors prescription. The JOH protocol or ideas do not and have helped a lot of people. One approach might be to try the Lysine, correctly, and if you see improvement then it might be worthwhile to keep looking for a doctor to prescribe antivirals, or maybe the JOH protocol will be enough. There is a nice feeling of freedom to be able to treat yourself without begging for a doctors blessing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JanieJiffy

JanieJiffy Member

Apr 30, 2023
    EA Official-- Lysine has been suggested to be helpful not just with herpes viruses that may be associated with MD, but also COVID and the flu. Read the abstract below and note that the researchers say, "Our findings suggest that lysine supplementation and the reduction of arginine-rich food intake can be considered as prophylactic [preventative] and therapeutic regimens against these viruses..."

Effects of Basic Amino Acids and Their Derivatives on SARS-CoV-2 and Influenza-A Virus Infection

Abstract
    Amino acids have been implicated with virus infection and replication. Here, we demonstrate the effects of two basic amino acids, arginine and lysine, and their ester derivatives on infection of two enveloped viruses, SARS-CoV-2, and influenza A virus. We found that lysine and its ester derivative can efficiently block infection of both viruses in vitro. Furthermore, the arginine ester derivative caused a significant boost in virus infection. Studies on their mechanism of action revealed that the compounds potentially disturb virus uncoating rather than virus attachment and endosomal acidification. Our findings suggest that lysine supplementation and the reduction of arginine-rich food intake can be considered as prophylactic and therapeutic regimens against these viruses while also providing a paradigm for the development of broad-spectrum antivirals.

14. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Jan 14, 2024
    So I guess it's best to take a prescription anti-viral on an empty stomach also? I'm currently taking both lysine and an AV together. Maybe take them at different times?

15. EAOfficial

EAOfficial Member

Jan 10, 2024
    North Jersey
    No, that's not going to make a difference. It's better to take the antiviral with food to avoid nausea and so it's better absorbed.

It's the nature of lysine that it has to be taken without food, since foods (proteins) are loaded with both arginine and lysine

16. Mark55

Mark55 Active Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Washoe Valley, Nevada
    John/all:
    I have been taking Lysine along with a high Lysine/low arginine eating plan. I started the Lysine back in November.prior to starting Lysine, no vertigo previous 5 months. Had several short duration drop vertigo attacks as soon as I started Lysine.
    Never had a drop type till on the Lysine. Over the last 2 weeks, I have had sudden onset vertigo that would put me to my knee and hanging on. Very short.like 15 seconds. Spin stops, I get up and continue with what I'm doing. This has been daily for 2 weeks now. Today, out shoveling snow and super bad drop hit me. Felt like someone knocked me down hard. Similar to one I had in November. Hard hitting and took some time to get on my feet. I had just taken my afternoon 1000 mg Lysine before going outside. (I take 3000 mg a day). The big question: do I keep on the Lysine? Go off of it and see what happens or increase to 4000 mg day or more?? Been about 3 1/2 months on the Lysine. I am willing to ride this out for awhile if potentially beneficial. Thoughts, ideas please.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    For me, I would think 3 1/2 months is enough time - I would see what happens without it.

Time to try something new.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JanieJiffy

JanieJiffy Member

Apr 30, 2023
    I wish I could say, "Ask your doctor," but as we all know, answers don't very often come from the mainstream medical practitioner.

I have a few thoughts... first, I wouldn't radically restrict arginine-rich foods, as we need both lysine and arginine.

Second, although I myself deal daily with balance instability due to damage to my inner ear, I haven't had a vertigo attack in many months since I have been on a low-inflammation diet and have been going to the chiropractor for monthly maintenance. On a normal high-carb diet with sugar, my back and neck muscles were pulling my cervical spine out of alignment and I was getting those same sudden vertigo attacks when I changed head position, especially in the evening or late afternoon when inflammation is highest. Now, being on a vegetable-heavy diet and going off gluten, sugar and dairy has helped inflammation a lot.

Also, another thought... maybe you should find out if your ear crystals are causing this? And if the Eppley Maneuver could help...

19. EAOfficial

EAOfficial Member

Jan 10, 2024
    North Jersey
    John of Ohio

In the regimen you mention B-vitamins, and also a couple of yeast extractive based supplements

...would this mean a product like marmite or vegemite would be ideal to take, being fortified with B vitamins and being made of yeast itself?

Outside of the salt content itself - I'm pretty sure I don't have menieres, but Gacek says I have recurrent vestibular neuritis eith the same viral etiology. Suffice it to say salt hasn't been an issue for me

20. EAOfficial

EAOfficial Member

Jan 10, 2024
    North Jersey
    Guys, I have to reiterate that it is not realistic to "restrict arginine". Any decent quality proteins will have significant arginine.

Pretty much only dairy has a favorable ratio, but that's only a ratio. It still has a bunch of arginine in it. This would be a huge dietary change, to only get proteins from dairy. I'd say that South Indian cuisine would be great for that, except they also eat plenty of legumes and you're right back to arginine again.

The point of the lysine is to take it when you haven't eaten and there isn't much food residual/digestate left in your system