1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by BumbleBea, May 15, 2014.

1. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I always defined Karma as What goes around comes around. Like people who are always putting others down, being mean, someone who disregards others feelings, etc. maybe it just makes me feel good to think someday they will get theirs. On the other end of that's spectrum there are those who are always ready to lend a helping hand, give words of encouragement, put aside differences of opinion for the greater good, and just generally kind and caring people. For those I like to think good things come their way.
    Generally it is like religion. It depends on what you believe.

2. Selene

Selene Member

May 18, 2014
    yes Bea, I thought the same thing but you are right, it is probably like religion. If you are brought up in the US with a typical Judeo-Christian mindset you would most likely relate to the "what goes around, comes around/treat people as you would like to be treated" .... or else! interpretation. I bet people from the East familiar with their various philosophies would have a different interpretation and since I believe it's an Eastern concept, they probably understand Karma better than I do. Now i'm wondering what Dharma means LOL one google attempt didn't enlighten me, I'm too exhausted to research right nowl ::)

3. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    I was letting you know what it originally means. Coloquially, people use it to mean the opposite. In Buddhism and Hinduism, it refers to actions- any kind of actions.

Dharma refers to your duty, your code (if it's easier) of conduct, your body of moral knowledge that helps you perform "right" karma so you reap positive benefits.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    *colloquially

5. Gustav123

Gustav123 Is it great yet?

May 12, 2014
    I haven't read or thought about this in a long time so I may be off base but I recall a lecture on it by an Indian prof I had. The goal he said was to avoid all karma, good or bad. All karma, good or bad, results in consequence so rebirth is needed to allow for it. The goal is to stop the cycle of rebirth, to be free from it, even if its to receive the benefits of good actions. But, im foggy on how he said this was accomplished. I think it had to do with the state of mind as you act and acting in accordance to your role(s)/duties in the current life you are born into. It played some role in the caste system. It has several similar but perhaps differing qualities outside Hinduism. Basically, achieve enlightenment?

6. Selene

Selene Member

May 18, 2014
    Thanks Intrepid, that explains Dharma very well and to the point. It's not that common here so there probably isn't several different theories as to what it means. Or the meaning stayed true to the original teaching. That's what I mean. Gustav that is interesting ... I wonder what that professor said about neutralizing all karma.

7. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Interesting topic!

8. Selene

Selene Member

May 18, 2014
    Bea, I think so too!