1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Labyrinthectomy surgery

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Dhorsinround, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Good morning all , I am scheduled to have Labyrinthectomy surgery on Dec 7th . hoping there is someone who may be able to help me understand the recovery .... what to expect .... Now mind you this will be my 7th right ear surgery as I had a nerve section Dec 2014 for Vertigo . WoW is all I can say for the recovery on that surgery its like having Brain surgery .I have preop on Nov.30th but again not sure what to expect for the recovery of this one . needless to say I am so over the ear problems, I have had for the last 40 ish years . These MD attacks have taken their toll on me . :'( trying to stay positive any replies will be welcomed . Thank you

2. Next month I’ll be a year out from mine. Prior to the surgical labyrinthectomy I had a failed endolymphatic decompression/mastoidectomy in 2012. I also had many steroid injections. I never tried the gentamicin injections. The first 24hrs after my surgery were what you would expect. I threw up, because of the vertigo, for the first 12ish hours. The next 12 I just couldn’t see straight at all. The second day is when I felt well enough to think, “maybe this wasn’t a mistake after all.” After two days I could walk my dogs, unassisted, though my vision was still wonky.

As I’m sure you were already told prior to your VNS, you need to stay active, though you’ll probably feel exhausted. I suspect that your recovery may not be that difficult, in comparison to what you went through with the VNS, as your balance nerve has already been cut. VNS is really considered the hardcore surgery, from what I understand, though a laby isn’t fun.

I still have problems feeling exhausted, but others on the forum have been very encouraging about experiencing the same thing, and I think it will improve. I’m about to begin vestibular therapy.

Others on the forum describe their laby as the complete remedy to their illness.

You’ve already been through so much! Hope this helps. Good luck, and best wishes.

3. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Yes it does help Autumn, the last surgery I three up for weeks , I kept a bag with me for months because it was so bad . I have taken 2 weeks off for this surgery . I have been threw the ringer if you will.... this will be my 19 th surgery and I am only 47 , I want to be normal if there is any way possible but I think I am starting to get this in the good ear , something we have to discuss . the noise in my head will not go away and the pressure when I walk , like I can feel my heart beat is driving me nuts . he has me on Klonapan at night and valium 2 times a day for the drop attacks . again I am so over this . ready for a change . have a good one and thank you

4. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Did the surgeon for your VNS explain why it didn't work? I would be concerned about MAV or being bilateral and would want to eliminate both before doing another surgery.

5. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Also, best wishes on the surgery and hopefully this will be the end of your suffering!

6. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Thanks for asking , it did work for the vertigo that has been eliminated but I started having these drop attacks for several months now but I didn't know what was going on until I saw him several weeks ago for my routine cleaning . And yes I am concerned about this going bilateral . the noise in my head is driving me crazy even with valium

7. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    What is MAV by the way ? I am not familiar with it ....

8. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    never mind I googled it lol

9. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I dont understand how the ear with the vns could be responsible for drop attacks. Did the doctor explain that? Btw, a vns is brain surgery.

10. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    yeah there are some questions I need to get cleared with him , and after the last surgery when I went in for my post op I told him it was like he did brain surgery and he said yes essentially he did . I was rather speech less . he said this surgery I am having done on the 7th will take the whole balance system in the ear out so there fore I should not be dizzy . after the other side takes control.But I didn't realize at the time you can get bilateral MD. I have a lot of paper work and questions in folders I want to talk to him about , to make sure this is not the bilateral .... so confused :( :'(

11. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Vns' have been known to grow back.

Laby is an easy surgery, basically outpatient. It's ear surgery not brain surgery.

I could never imagine a vns. A laby is in and out. I could have done it same day but they said overnight is their protocol.

Good luck

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Consider a second opinion so you will have further understanding. Also make sure it IS the ear you think it is causing the problem and not the other one. Likewise make sure it is not MAV. Second opinion always in order.

13. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    ^^ Second opinion should be from a different group, not same practice.

14. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Bulldogs ...... VNS is like Horrible . So far as the Lamby i will be going home it is outpatient. And we will be looking at the other ear as well

15. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I think you will probably do pretty well with the recovery based on the fact that you have already had vns. Most likely you have been through the worse, I hope so. My recovery from the laby was pretty easy. I had to stay overnight, protocol, but left the next morning walking out on my own. I had 2 gent shots prior to the laby. I was driving after 2 weeks. Today I do everything I want. I still have tinnitus. On occasions I have also experienced fullness in my laby ear, a reminder that I still have meniere's. The best part, I don't have to worry about drop attacks. That monkey is off my back. Best of luck to you. During recovery you need to walk as much as possible, even when you don't want to. The more you walk the faster the recovery.

16. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Thank you all I belive this will be alot easier than the last. That was the first thing i asked him when it came up . I told him i just wasnt sure i could do it like the last again . Thatswhy i am trying to get others experiences . Did any of you have the cognative issues after wards , speech problems , and brain fog afterwards ???? I have it severe at the present moment . Will this all subside as well? Please say it will............ Hoping

17. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    VNS surgery---what is that exactly? And how does it differ from the Laby in it's effect?

As I have reported--often--I've had the Endolymphatic Shunt surgery in 2012. No vertigo after about a month following surgery.
    Still--no vertigo--thankfully, but feels like it's 'about' to happen at times.

Had balance therapy 2 times over the last couple of years. Don't use a cane, but have learned to focus and move, etc. in ways that don't aggravate the balance system. My hearing has gotten so poor--distorted more than not actually hearing, even with very expensive hearing aids.
    Head pressure (not ear pressure)--no pain, just the every day pressure/sometimes nausea and total exhaustion feeling so lightheaded (strange sounding when I say pressure--then feeling lightheaded), but that is the best way to describe it. Was totally 'wiped out' Thanksgiving after a day with family--trying not to show how truly badly I felt. Got home 'crashed' in my recliner and usually fall asleep but it was early evening--and we had two grandkids with us overnight. So--did the best I could and finally 'crashed'.
    This is a daily thing with me. No answers--only low dose of Xanax helps to get thru the days--sometimes it really helps, other times, makes me more tired---but mostly helps. Ent (a very good one well known and 'up' on Meniere's, etc.) has nothing more to suggest. So,
    I rely on things here--and ask questions when I see him.
    Just hoping and praying this 'eases' at some point. I do have some days that are not as bad---but never a 'symptom free' day anymore.

Thanks for listening.

18. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014

I will give this a shot, although i have not had either surgery. I have had skull base surgery of a type similar to vns and it is a pretty big deal.

Vns, when it works correctly, severs only the balance portion of the 8th nerve. (The eight nerve contains a balance and a hearing part.) the point of the vns over laby is that the hearing is saved. However, the vns is a more complicated surgery than the laby and is in fact, a type of brain surgery, more at risk for serious complications. The laby is an ear surgery which removes the both the hearing and balance function for that ear but requires a much less tricky and risky access to get the job done. With a laby both the hearing and balance are lost completely in that ear.

Some of the possible issues with a vns, are all the risks of brain surgery like spinal fluid leaks etc as well as the fact that (i read) there can be some crossover between the hearing and balance part so that there are times when removing the balance portion does not get it all.

In either case or the case of any ear surgery, the question should be specifically asked of the surgeon who is going to do the surgery, whether it would be possible to get a cochlear implant in that ear down the road. Do not assume that because so and so had the surgery and did that you will have that options. Surgeries and approaches differ.

But if per chance all or part of what you are experiencing was dueto migraine (no headache necessary) then these sugeries would not be the answer.

19. Dhorsinround

Dhorsinround New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Me myself,.... i dont ever never want another surgery like that again (vns)i am sure everyone is different . And i have has some surgeries but that one was like the worst . As i had no control of the spinning every second everyday for at least a week and trying to learn to walk , balance it was like being abany again and puking my guts up for weeks
    As well. Horrid !!!!!

20. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    It all sounds so horrible. I am sorry you suffered so much and I hope that laby will help you get your life back! good luck