1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Lemon Bioflavonoids and Thyroid hormone levels

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Jan 26, 2018.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    There may be no connection between the two; however, I recently had a rather extensive panel of bloodwork done, and it was revealed that my T4 levels are low. Since I have no history of this, it made we wonder what might be causing it. I have been using the Bioflavonoids for over a half-year, felt good initially, but have noticed an increasing feeling of tiredness. As I wish to point out again, there may be absolutely no connection here, but I find it interesting that several websites I looked at seem to point to a possible link. A US National Library of Medicine / National Institutes of Health abstract reported the following, "Experimental data have shown that many flavonoids could inhibit thyroperoxidase activity, decreasing thyroid hormones levels thus increasing TSH and causing goiter. Flavonoids could also affect the availability of thyroid hormones to target tissues, by inhibiting deiodinase activity or displacing T4 from transthyretin. Thus, flavonoids have been shown to interfere with many aspects of the thyroid hormones synthesis and availability in in vivo and in vitro models."

My doctor prescribed levothyroxine, but after I mentioned to him that I've been taking flavonoids, etc., he wants me to discontinue the flavonoids for a period of weeks, retest the thyroid levels, and then we'll go from there prior to starting the meds. I would actually like to start the medication, but by doing so would introduce too many variables to determine if indeed the flavonoids have any association with the thyroid. It will indeed be interesting to see if the T4 level comes back up without further medical intervention. I'll report back at a later date, but just thought I'd share all this for whatever it's worth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. That is good to know and to keep an eye on! I'll be interested to hear how it turns out after discontinuing the bioflavinoids!

3. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Thanks for the heads up! I have been taking synthroid for a number of years for hypothyroidism and have only started taking lemon bioflavonoid last month, so I will be prepared when I get my T4 levels checked. I hope it there is no connection, but good to know.

4. rwj6001

rwj6001 Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Toledo, Ohio
    Please let us know how this turns out as I'm sure many will be interested.

Thanks!

5. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Just had the TSH retested....came down from 4.08 to 2.62, so no need for treatment. Obviously with an isolated case like mine it's hard to draw a generalized conclusion, but, not having changed any other meds, etc. over the past several weeks other than discontinuing the bioflavonoids, it's certainly interesting that the TSH level came down that far. Makes me wonder if indeed there is a link between the two.

6. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    There are some links between thyroid disorders and Meniere's. I made sure to get tested for them, as well as bunch of others, in case it wasn't Meniere's but something else.

https://www.entandaudiologynews.com/features/audiology-features/post/thyroid-dysfunction-and-meniere-s-disease-is-there-a-relationship

7. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’ve been hypothyroid since 1995.

This is a great caution about The Bioflavanoids- I’m on the lemon bv for joh. I noticed my long acting vitamin C also has other Bioflavanoids. I’ll use regular vitamin c, and get my thyroid labs checked on my next bloodwork.

We are so complex!