1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Littleton, NH ER Vertigo Visit

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Tomaso, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Tomaso

Tomaso New Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Just a warning to anyone. I was in an area away from home for work and I had an attack and strangely enough I was already at the hospital when it happened.

I went in and once I told the Dr what they usually give me to stop the attack she immediately changed her tone and attitude and I could see the look on here face change. She refused to believe that a benzodiazepine would work in my situation. It was by far the worst experience i've ever had in a hospital in my life. She made sure at the end she was raising her voice so other people in the er could hear her and acted as if I was an addict. I went in not walking straight and left the same way. I've never been so disgusted over something in my life. They only gave me two 12.5mg meclizine orally and something for nausea that was sublingual.

I honestly thought they would be able to pull up all my medical history and that it was all linked. Prior to this i've gone to one hospital two times and they immediately put me on i/v and administered drugs and completely stopped the attack. The most amazing thing the second time I went was when they give you the ativan? and your vision comes back like someone flipped a switch. Usually I go to sleep when I get an attack as they happen at the end of the day or early in the morning. I'm usually so tired from lack of sleep because of my job that I can just go to sleep.

I don't know why the ENT dr I see hasn't prescribed me anymore ativan. He gave me one script of 5 in the two years i've been going there and I have no history of addiction. The er Dr gave me a script of 12 ativan and meclizine the last time I went without even asking. I had no idea they could even do that.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  2. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    If I'm under my own power, I avoid ER's. They are typically staffed with the least knowledgeable Dr's with respect to what we suffer. Last time I took my son to and ER with a slight chainsaw cut, the attending Dr. freaked out and I had to tell him how to treat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Tomaso
    If you (or your supportive doctor) have time and emotional energy, maybe consider sending a feedback letter to that ER doctor’s department head, head of the hospital and ENT head in that city.

I always carry enough rescue meds with me, in the original prescription bottle if I’m passing through customs. Some people also carry a letter from their doctor. I don’t really want to wear a Medical Alert bracelet... I suppose I could keep one in my purse... with directions for the EMTs to shoot me up with drugs. Because yeah... during attacks I have always refused being taken to ER... moving is just not an option!