1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Med-El Adhear?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nicmger, Mar 16, 2020.

1. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Just wondering if anyone has heard about or tested the Med-El Adhear? In reading this uses bone conduction to help with SSD without implant (baha or cochlear).

In "theory" if bone conduction devices work when implanted for those of us with Meniere's it would stand to reason that this device could work to be an option if someone was not able to have an implant surgery?

Audiologists closest to me do not fit/trial the Adhear (even if they work with the Med-El bonebridge implants). Closest dr/office nearest me would be almost 2 hrs away. Before I make that trek only for them to offer me another trial for a standard hearing aid (as if I haven't tried a majority) figured I would ask to see if anyone has any insights/knowledge to share!

Thanks.

2. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    IMO, the BAHA is more impressive in the marketing literature than in real life. It does help to pick up sound on the bad side and send it over to the good side, but CROS hearing aids do that better. CROS is where the hearing aid on the bad side is essentially a mic and bluetooth transmitter that sends the signal to the receiver on the good side. Sound quality is better with CROS hearing aids than with the bone-transmitted BAHA implant, particularly with respect to music.

According to the Med-El website, the AdHear is designed for conductive hearing loss. Damage from Meniere's, however is sensorineural (SNHL). Be sure to check whether AdHear is an appropriate device for the type of loss you have.