1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

med situation

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by stanh, May 16, 2014.

1. stanh

stanh New Member

May 16, 2014
    Hi, I am looking to see thoughts on the following situation that has come up. I posted here like a decade ago, although I don't remember my old name. I have an inner ear problem and I can get dizzy flare ups under control with medication. Since this is how the situation is for me I don't feel the need to go to my doctor. I would only go every toq years to continue with my prescription. I thought everything was all good until this week when I tried to get a new prescription called in. They were telling me it's to long and they can't do it. They only gave me a one month renewal and say they can't keep this up long term and they would have to tel me to visit some other doctor who can prescribe. Even though I can get my inner ear problem under control I still feel I Ned to get prescriptions. Can this happen even if patients require to keep getting their meds? What can be done in this situation if they completely stop with prescribing? I don't feel it is necessary to go somewhere else and start from scratch. I don't think I can just tell doctors this is what I have and this is what you should give me. Chances are they would want me to redo tests I don't want to take again.

2. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I think prescriptions are only good for one year so chances are you will have to go to a Dr. To get it.what Dr. Depends on the script. I see an Otolarygologist and if I request something that he's aware of, usually he will give it to me and sometimes he will call it in after a year has past but every Dr is different.
    Good Luck and I hope you won't need more tests but chances are they will want some tests to validate why you are getting those meds.

3. 1Dizzybee

1Dizzybee New Member

May 12, 2014
    Tennessee
    So, are you asking the original doctor who prescribed this for you? I know a lot of times a doctor won't keep refilling scrips if its been a while since they've seen you. I'm sure you just need to go in and talk to him/her (if its the same doc).

4. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    What medications are you on? (I may have missed that piece) Sometimes certain meds have problems long term.

My doctor in Seattle was "good" if I visited him once/year (if not needed earlier). My doctor here in VA requires me to visit at least every 6 months - so refills are only for 6 months at a time.

5. stanh

stanh New Member

May 16, 2014
    Yes, it is the original doctor.

The medication is lorazepam.

Thanks.

6. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I think because Lorazapam is a controlled substance doctors are required to physically examine you on a certain basis. Another thing to keep in mind is that the doctor may be cautious because Lorazapam is addictive.

Is there a reason that you can't visit your doctor? Or simply that you don't think you should have to?

7. stanh

stanh New Member

May 16, 2014
    I only go every two years cause I figure I don' t need to do anything more.

8. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    We'll then it seems simple. Go back for a visit and get your meds.

9. stanh

stanh New Member

May 16, 2014
    I am scheduled for July. I just hope it works out and this isn't a new rule or something.

10. rondrums51

rondrums51 Diagnosed 2004, went bilateral 2013

May 12, 2014
    Southwest Florida coast
    In Florida, controlled substances can only be refilled three times, then you have to see the doctor for a new scrip. It's because of all the "pill mills" down here.

Good luck getting your scrip.

Ron