1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Meniere’s?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JaneL, Mar 23, 2021.

1. JaneL

JaneL New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Hi all
    I’m new to the forum and not yet diagnosed. Just wondering if this seems like Meniere’s (I’ve already had a clear MRI).

I was very fatigued in November and then my ear blocked in December. I had two periods of vertigo in the same day, about 30 minutes each. My ear unblocked over Xmas and then blocked again in January. I have moderate hearing loss in the affected ear. I have had no further symptoms to date apart from a constant very quiet tinnitus. My affected ear also clicks (not randomly but when I make it click by moving my jaw in a certain way or creating pressure - hard to explain!).

Does this seem like Meniere’s? Or more like sudden hearing loss? The only thing that makes me think definitely Meniere’s is the fluctuating fullness, what do others think? My consultant says he can’t diagnose me at the moment as he isn’t sure.

2. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I have found over the years that "Meniers" is difficult for many doctors to diagnose. From my experience I would say your symptoms are classsic meniers. When mine started it was just the ear blocking and my hearing going down to zero in that ear. But I didn't have the vertigo. Therefore the doc said it was not meniers. I suffered like that for years, on and off fullness and deafness with the tinnitus getting worse and my hearing getting worse overall in that ear. Then...wham...veritgo. THEN the doctor called it meniers. As you have probably already discovered, they don't really know what causes meniers, they just have guesses. But the overall symptom that everyone seems to have is the one ear getting full and the resulting hearing loss. Soooo... I would, if I were you, assume you do have it and try some of the treatments you will find on this forum. Cut back on salt, see if your doc will prescribe a diuretic. Start a log and see if you can find triggers for the symptoms. For instance, I have found amongst other things, that atmospheric pressure changes will sometimes bring on the ear fullness. Not much I can do about it but still intersting to know. I take a number of chinese herb pills that are suppose to help with veritgo and also help drain the inner ear. They seem to help. I also think that allergies sometimes bring on my symptoms so I'm going to see an alergist. Anyway, the disease really stinks to say the least but many here have learned to live with it and many have found ways to, if not defeat it, at least lesson the symptoms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JaneL

JaneL New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Thanks so much for your reply. I totally agree. It’s such a scary thing to be facing and it feels very uncertain to think vertigo could start at any moment. I’ve taken all the dietary advice going, apart from that is there anything that seems to help many people? I really want to stop anything progressing if I can! Thanks again :)

4. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    One thing I have found, and I know it's not the same for everyone, is that my vertigo attacks have only happened when my ear was full. I have dizziness much of the time but I just live with that (It's like being stoned. My son thinks that is "cool"..I don't). So at least that's a bit of a warning for me. I carry a pill bottle with dramamine and one with vallium in case the worse happens. For one of my attacks I did find the dramamine helped. I was at work so it was a real life saver. But the other times, nothing helped. Thus far I have gone 7 months without an attack so I'm hoping my regime is working. The test will be this summer as it always gets worse then.

Keep checking this forum. There are a bunch of really good people with excellent advise but they don't check the forum all the time.

5. JaneL

JaneL New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Thanks for all your help! I really hope that mine doesn’t get any worse than it is now (maybe wishful thinking there!) and I’m doing everything I can at the moment especially with diet to stop it happening. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I hope you continue vertigo free over the summer and far beyond!

6. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    You mentioned that your consultant can't diagnose you at the moment. Who is your consultant? You really need to see a doctor who specializes in Meniere's, such as a neurotologist. You've had an MRI which is essential when diagnosing Meniere's but there are a number of other tests as well that should be done to rule out other possible causes.

7. JaneL

JaneL New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Thanks for your reply. What other tests can be done? I’ve had a hearing test and a test to check the tympanic membrane, I haven’t had any balance issues at the moment so perhaps he wouldn’t have referred me for those tests? He said time will tell in terms of my diagnosis but I’d love to have more tests to get a clearer idea if you know of any I could suggest?