1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Menieres and betahistine?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Kendra munro, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Kendra munro

Kendra munro New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Was wondering if anyone has tried Betahistine,and has it helped?

2. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've tried it and it worked for a few months then tailed off for me. It's different for everyone. We have a lot of stuff about it on our forums, I did a search here for it (search box is in above right) and here's what came up:

Search Results for Query: betahistine | Meniere's Talk forums

3. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I took it for several years. Although things eventually deteriorated for me, I think it did help for a good spell, keeping the attacks at bay.

4. Jsnider

Jsnider Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Kendra Munro - I have heard that Betahistine taken 3 times a day works very well for many patients. Two of my good friends swear by it and they have not had a vertigo attack since they have started using it along with a low sodium diet. But for me personally, I cannot say the same thing. I have been using it for 18 months - 3 times per day at about the same time everyday but the vertigo issues are still there. My doctor at the House Ear Institute in LA says it is better that the Histamine SL that i used to put under my tongue. He was very excited to have me use it. I hope the best for you and if you use it - i hope it works. It is certainly as easy fix.

5. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I took Betahistine for almost 3 years and I know I should have stopped doing so much sooner as it had no effect on me whatsoever. I took it three times a day regularly and at some point the doses were really high. It still made no difference to me. Everyone is different though.

6. Ross B

Ross B New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    I've been using betahistine for a while and it seems to be helpful. Could be a coincidence but important to note that correlation does not indicate causation. I had an ENT bloke tell me that when I get the script filled not to accept generic meds, but that he had noticed an increase in complaints from his Meniere's patients after they had been taking generics. So I require the pharmacist to supply Serc. Seems to work for me.

Also worth noting is that it takes a while to be helpful. You have to have taken the drug for a few weeks for it to have any effect. You can't expect to take one pill and have it ameliorate your dizziness.

Cheers

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    I agree -- it takes time to work (and importantly, you have to be taking a large enough dose initially). I was also using the SERC brand (brought in from outside the USA) but I knew it wasn't working after several months of it and moved onto other methods that I had more success with, fortunately. : )

Glad it's working for you and I hope it lasts!

Ray