1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Menieres and High Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MDandHighBP, Aug 4, 2014.

1. MDandHighBP

MDandHighBP New Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Hi All:

I have had MD for 7 years. In the past year, its been as bad as when I was first diagnosed - i.e, multiple episodes in a day for weeks at a time. Prior to this past year - i t was several years since a major MD attack.

It took me awhile but I figured out the main issue - my high blood pressure medication that had worked for about a year - suddenly, makes me incredibly sick. After a lot of experimenting (for 3 months), I determined that the majority of my MD symptoms were due to an adverse reaction to that medication.

All of this being said, I took myself off all meds (with doctor supervision) and after 3 weeks - 100% free of Menieres attacks, and the bulk of its symptoms. The issue: My high blood pressure remains. It runs in my family - and not a single person has NOT had it. Without being medicated, I get 150/110 readings on a regular basis -not good.

I am currently trying a new medication, Alcovir, and its helping in small doses, but as soon as I up the dose to 25 MG (doctor wants me on 50), I cant handle it, and the vertigo, tinnutus, MD attacks start all over again. Keeping it at 12.5 mg, I am dizzy 100% of the time, but able to function - although I dont trust driving too often.

Anyone found a better solution? I need medication to keep my BP from going so high, but not a single class of BP meds has left me able to function and have my BP under control (I have tried every BP class drug over a 5 year period)- it seems I just have to pick which I want to control.

The all natural route - i.e., not smoking, losing weight, exercise, proper diet, etc is what I have always done. Not that I am getting older - its just not enough.
    Any advice is appreciated! :)

2. MDandHighBP

MDandHighBP New Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Sorry - put the name of the wrong medication - should have said Amlodipine Besylate - 2.5 mg - which still causes some issues - and DR want me to up it to 5 mg.

3. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    I am on Diovan 160 mg and also Atenolol for A-fib and high b/p. Have ongoing dizziness--but didn't have it until I was hit with Meniere's. The atenolol was just added --due to the a-fib. Now I'm wondering if that's the cause of my increased dizziness. Keep blaming it on an anti-depressant I was given to try for all this stuff causes. Hmmm!!! Never had the bad dizzies when just on the Diovan but that was prior to MM. Anyway, hoping you find a good med you can tolerate for your B/P==that's important to get it under control for sure.

4. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I'm sorry to hear you are going through that. I hope you get some good ideas for the BP medication. That is not an area I know about, but want to mention for low-level persistent dizziness and nausea, both I and a friend of mine with similar issues find acupressure wrist bands super helpful. For me they take the edge of the dizziness/nausea. These are the ones I use: http://www.sea-band.com/.

5. Vicki

Vicki Guest

So sorry your bp meds are making you ill. There are many kinds maybe one won't make you feel ill.

There is a study that shows taking a probiotic lowers your bp, and I believe it. I have been on 100 mg of metoprolol for a few years. About a year or so ago I started taking a daily probiotic and in the beginning of this year or end of last my pulse and bp were getting so low. So my dr said take 1 50 mg a day and its fine now. I am sure it is the probiotic that lowered it.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/Probiotics-May-Lower-Blood-Pressure-268335462.html

Research now shows that taking good bacteria — probiotics — can do more than increase immunity.

A new study in the American Heart Association journal Hypertension shows that taking supplements and eating foods like yogurt that contain the live microorganisms could lower high blood pressure by as much as three points.

"Even with a small reduction like that, it can show a 22 percent decrease in heart attacks and strokes,” said Bryan Bradford, a certified nutritionist at the Sunflower Shoppe natural foods store.

The research was a retrospective analysis of nine studies involving more than 500 patients. Patients with positive outcomes used probiotics routinely for at least eight weeks.

Probiotics work by increasing the number of good bacteria in the gut, Bradford explained. That improves digestion, which — in turn — increases the absorption of nutrients.

"When you absorb nutrition, it requires a lot of that good bacteria to break this down to get your calcium, your iron, your vitamins — like vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E," Bradford said. "They're all broken down through good bacteria, and this helps us with healing throughout the body."

6. Vicki

Vicki Guest

here is the abstract-I am taking a multiple dophilous
    http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/07/21/HYPERTENSIONAHA.114.03469.abstract?sid=da3d2ef5-497f-42a2-8012-c812150a4edf

Abstract

Previous human clinical trials have shown that probiotic consumption may improve blood pressure (BP) control. The aim of the present systematic review was to clarify the effects of probiotics on BP using a meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. PubMed, Scopus, Cochrane Library (Central), Physiotherapy Evidence Database, and Clinicaltrial.gov databases were searched until January 2014 to identify eligible articles. Meta-analysis using a random-effects model was chosen to analyze the impact of combined trials. Nine trials were included. Probiotic consumption significantly changed systolic BP by −3.56 mm Hg (95% confidence interval, −6.46 to −0.66) and diastolic BP by −2.38 mm Hg (95% confidence interval, −2.38 to −0.93) compared with control groups. A greater reduction was found with multiple as compared with single species of probiotics, for both systolic and diastolic BP. Subgroup analysis of trials with baseline BP ≥130/85 mm Hg compared with <130/85 mm Hg found a more significant improvement in diastolic BP. Duration of intervention <8 weeks did not result in a significant reduction in systolic or diastolic BP. Furthermore, subgroup analysis of trials with daily dose of probiotics <1011 colony-forming units did not result in a significant meta-analysis effect. The present meta-analysis suggests that consuming probiotics may improve BP by a modest degree, with a potentially greater effect when baseline BP is elevated, multiple species of probiotics are consumed, the duration of intervention is ≥8 weeks, or daily consumption dose is ≥1011 colony-forming units.

7. James

James ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

May 12, 2014
    Have you tried Verapamil? I and a lot of others take it,for some reason it can help with Menieres while also reducing BP.