1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

meniere's reference in Stephan King's novel "revival"

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by bill, Jan 13, 2015.

1. bill

bill New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ormond Beach
    I've shown a couple of good quotes but the entire section "nails" the onset and the dilemma of coping with Meniere's:
    Menieres reference by Stephan King;
    In “Revival”copyright 2014
    pp: 202 – pp: 209

pp: 207:
    … I told him Menieres disease was a mystery – doctors didn’t know if it had to do with the nerves, or if it was a virus causing a chronic buildup of fluid in the middle ear, or some kind of bacterial thing, or maybe genetic.

Good description in section on pp:209:

“Hugh sat in the office, the cloth (still damp but now warm) clutched in one hand, seriously considering Jacobs proposal, and a large part of his mind found serious consideration, even on such short acquaintance, perfectly normal.He was amusician who had gone deaf and been cast aside by a band he’d helped to found, one now on the verge of national success. Other players and at least one great composer – Beethoven – had lived with deafness, but hearing less wasn’t where Hugh’s woes ended. There was the vertigo, the trembling, the periodic loss of vision. There was the nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, galloping pulse. Worse of all was the almost constant tinnitus. He always thought deafness meant silence. This was not true, at least not in his case. Hugh Yates had a constantly braying burglar alarm in the middle of his head

2. Chrisk

Chrisk Member

May 12, 2014
    Cool, I haven't read this one yet and looking forward to it, I've read every other Stephen King. Love the stand and the dark tower books.

I read the Sci-fi book Fluency a couple of months ago, that author talks about Meniere's as well, in fact I sent her a PM in facebook asking her about it and she responded telling me she googled the symptoms she wanted her character to have and came up with Meniere's. I think I posted that in the front porch.