1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Miss my music

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by bill, Oct 23, 2014.

1. bill

bill New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ormond Beach
    As I downloaded new "apple software", looking at my albums, missing my music.

Some days I can get some of it, but most of the time my music just becomes part of the noise ... sigh !!!

2. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    I'm a full time musician. The only way I can perform is with m left ear plugged up. I mean I put an ear plug in. Same as if I am in a room with lots of people talking, gotta have the plug in. I have a recording studio, but I haven't used it in many months. I keep waiting for the aural fullness to go away.

3. DenverJ

DenverJ "The motivation is in the doing." --S. Powter

May 18, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I really relate to this. I was a military musician for 7 years and a singer for over 20 years. Meniere's has totally destroyed my sense of pitch. Even listening to music is painful. Most pieces sound like they are in at least 2 completely different keys. Acoustic music is especially
    distorted. I'm wondering if others experience severe distortion when listening to music?
    DenverJ :(

4. Gustav123

Gustav123 Is it great yet?

May 12, 2014
    I can relate. I love music and for years stopped listening to it. Getting new , state of the art digital hearing aids made a huge improvement for me. I now enjoy it again. Its sad to live without music. As the disease seems to be calming down for me music is sounding better and better.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I dont know where you are in the progress of the disorder but if you can hear music sometimes there may be a chance of regaining your hearing. For 9 months, I had such terrible distortion that i could not even tell a bass was a bass much less hear the melody and high notes caused physical discomfort to me. Now my hearing including music is normal. Antivirals were responsible for recovery of my hearing. If you haven't tried them, i would consider it. Also, i think the truth for all of us is that loud noise including live music is destructive to the ear and we dont have much to spare.

6. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I want to second what June is saying. Music was distorted in my bad ear. I am fairly new to the anti-virals, but just in the last couple weeks it is no longer distorted. A little quieter than with the other ear, but not distorted. I am loving and marveling at that. It seems like such a miracle. Because my ENT wasn't familiar with this treatment I was taking lower than recommended doses for Meniere's at first. I didn't start really getting hearing back until I did a couple weeks at the full dose.

7. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Bill,

I am a musician also. I had been one for about 25 years at the time of my diagnosis. I struggled greatly with this aspect of my life having this disease. At one point I almost sold all of my guitar equipment I was so discouraged. I am not recommending this for you because I don't know how far along you are with this disease, but what saved me musically was a labyrinthectomy. Sounds weird, I know, because it's a destructive procedure, but I hear music so much better now without all the garbage from the affected ear.

As an Apple user, you can change the settings in Accessiblility options to Mono output then slide the balance fully to the non-affected ear. This is very helpful when using headphones.

Best of luck and hang in!

Kevin

8. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    This is kind of weird.
    We usually have music on during the days on weekends. For some reason I can't have it loud. It really bothers my ears.
    Yet when I watch television I need the volume up high.

Since the antivirals my hearing has improved, but I still have to say,"what?" A lot. And it's different peoples voices that I have trouble hearing. I guess it has to do with the tones.

I miss having the music loud while I go about my chores.
    Even in the car, there are times when I just need to keep the music low. Very rarely, and mostly on long drives, I can increase the volume.