1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Monolaurin, BHT and essiac Tea the new frontier in Meniere's treatment?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by clearing, Jan 1, 2019.

1. clearing

clearing Guest

Hello,

I am a patient 2 years from diagnosis of Meniere's. I consider myself about 95% treated. I have been doing the following and shall continue for the foreseeable future:
    Acyclovir 800MG a day, Vitamin C 3 Grams a day, L-Lysine 3 Grams a day and a host of supportive vitamins and minerals. I also don't drink caffeine (sometimes decaf) alcohol or consume chocolate.

I am writing as I don't see anyone talking about these items in a formal manner in forums or even from enlightened Dr's of Meniere's patients anywhere.
    I have learned that many diseases have a viral connection (MS, Alzheimers, Crohn's Hashimotos, Celiacs etc). Furthermore, this connection also seems to be a location specific issue. Many have Epstein Barr and herpes but don't have Meniere's. Why? I believe (I cannot yet prove) the location of where the viruses have attached themselves may determine to a degree the disease diagnosis. If Meniere's then somewhere in the cranial region either inner ear, nasal passage, brain stem. If Hashimotos in the thyroid etc.

I recently ran across Dr's who have treated their viral patients (Epstein Barr, Herpes etc) with tools like monolaurin, BHT and to a small degree Essiac tea. Before I continue let me provide a few links for further study:
    The Properties of Lauric Acid and Their Significance in Coconut Oil
    http://www.advancedhealing.com/wp-c...in_lauricidin_under_laboratory_conditions.pdf
    Discoverer of Monolaurin | Dr. Jon J Kabara | | Lauricidin® the original Monolaurin Supplement

It is my goal to eradicate Meniere's completely. Honestly, I have not had hope until recently. My new goal is to first eradicate the viruses in me completely. This process may take 6 months to many years from what I have seen but now looks possible. I have read enough research and positive patient and Dr. reports on monolaurin (a coconut derivative) to know there is a possibility of a breakthrough here in regards to treating the viral side of my condition. There are patients who have completely or at least significantly removed the herpes and Epstein Barr viruses using Monolaurin and to some degree BHT and Essiac Tea. I started treating myself just 3 weeks ago.

You can get your viral load tested. And I will get tested periodically to see how much I have achieved over time.

The results have been interesting but I am only at the beginning of the process. My tinnitus has been averaging 50% less since I began. I must note however, there are die off symptoms that will surface and one must be very careful to manage these effectively so as not to toxify the body.

I also must note the delivery methods I am using:
    with small amounts somewhat regularly I use monolaurin pellets blended and filtered in neti pot. If the virus is in my inner ear then the closest way to deliver antiviral is to reach the eustachian tube area through the use of a neti pot. I also take capsules 3 grams a day orally. I also have employed (in a rotational manner ensuring not to exceed a 3-9 grams level) the use of colonics.

When I began all this I noticed right away I had a reaction. I noticed a small amount of pressure in my right ear which is my Meniere's dominant ear. However, it never led to an episode just stayed there for half a day. I also noticed mild die off in the lungs and an overall flu like symptom. I had experienced something similar but different when getting candida overgrowth treated. So I made sure not to exceed 3 grams of monolaurin daily until I became adjusted and the die off (Herxheimer symptoms were at bay).
    I also employ BHT melting the pure crystal form into coconut oil and taking in a pulsed manner half a gram a day for 5 days on and then taking 5 days off.

In summation, I cannot as a lay person state guarantees or effectiveness until I have seen the results for myself. I wish there to be discussion on this matter and to even receive guidance in a credible manner. I would welcome any comments or experience related feedback.

Sincerely, Jon

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  2. Jsnider

Jsnider Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Thank you Clearing. Happy New Year and congratulations on your success. My question is - how do you know and how can you be certain that the protocol you are doing to help with your MM won't come back to ultimately hurt you in another area sometime in the future. How do you know that your other important functions such as liver, kidney, heart, etc are not going to be impacted negatively by your regimen to eradicate the MM? I want nothing more than your success with MM to not have an impact anywhere else but I worry about that and wish I could feel completely certain that plugging one hole doesn't result in a few others opening up. If I was certain I would start your protocol or the JOH regimen in 5 minutes. My GP and others doctors not related to MM seem to be worried about the supplements and protocol to long term overall health. Thank you. That is my concern. Hoping for a good answer on this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jsnider

Jsnider Member

Oct 17, 2018
    To further clarify. I have 4 very close friends of mine who are very respected doctors in their field who are very familiar with my MM. They are a cardiothoracic surgeon, a neurologist, my prostate cancer surgeon who has become a good friend, and an oncologist specializing in liver cancer. I have obviously not run your ideas past them but in other cases that have been posted all say they would be fearful of some of the protocols and large doses for long periods of times of the various supplements I have shown them for the reasons listed above. They all want the best for me and understand how devastating the vertigo is. That is the reason for my question. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  4. clearing

clearing Guest

Very good questions.

Firstly, Its a good idea to get hepatic and other tests done periodically to see if anything has done damage. Secondly, what are all those Dr's doing to get to the underlying causes? Do they have a path for you? Or are they causing you to disengage from anything that could potentially have harm whilst incurring more harm from the episodes? How long have you had Meniere's?

I myself worried about L-Lysine and Acyclovir doing long term damage years ago when I started. Taking each one separately, L-Lysine in practice at 3G - 4G levels has not produced negative results in function and if anything has improved things. I have not heard of anyone who has had to discontinue use or incurred damage although that must be a possibility. The little bit of clinical evidence of potential damage (stones) in some small # of cases in lab animals has not surfaced in the general population or myself. In fact, that scare may have been overblown. Acyclovir while not producing negative kidney liver issues 1.5 years in, is another story and one I wish to see go away. I am hopeful that the monoalurin and others will allow me to stop. I may at least be able to go with a lower dose at some point if all goes well on virus removal efforts. In my case, it has not shown to cause anything yet. However, I do not trust that for the very long term which is partly why I am seeking better more natural answers always.

It is worth noting that many Dr's regardless of being board certified or competent in their specialized field simply do not accept the viral association with meniere's. They likely never will. You can show them the Gacek et al studies and they will continue to say (as mine did) "that is just a theory I don't accept". A theory with clinical studies (replicated) and successful patient results in the thousands or more that proves an association...is no longer just a theory. They are incentivized to treat symptoms and if you are waiting for a pat on the back or an approval it may never come. This goes for 90% + of the Dr's in practice who never get more than 1 semester of nutrition in their collegiate careers. I suggest you mix in (not exclusively) an experienced naturopathic or integrative Dr. which is more enlightened to candida overgrowth, virus removal, parasite removal or willingness to treat the underlying causes of your meniere's. My friend a general Surgeon trained at Stanford and in practice for 20 years had never heard of Monolaurin or BHT. He is right now doing his own research. Coconut is one of the more researched and well tolerated substances in the viral field. I will always be seeking sound natural ways to approach my condition but now...I am living a more normal life and have no damage done. I look forward to hearing what choices you make to address your meniere's underlying causes.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  5. Jsnider

Jsnider Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Thank you very much for your detailed response. You've given me a lot to think about.

6. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I was taking monolaurin for a while and I can't say it really helped any. The reason I stopped taking it though is because my cholesterol level which is normally borderline high (genetics I suppose) increased substantially. I don't know for certain if the monolaurin was the cause or even partially responsible but my levels did go back down to normal (normal for me at least) after I had stopped taking it for a while.

I should also point out that while people with viruses such as HIV and Herpes Simplex have claimed to have benefitted from monolaurin, I have yet to hear of anyone with Meniere's benefitting from it. What prompted people on this board to start taking it was the fact that MM might be caused by a Herpes virus. When this topic first came up there was not a single account of someone with MM having any sort of results. In fact, I don't think there was even any account of someone with MM trying monolaurin.

I know there were at least a couple of other members who belonged to this forum who were taking it. I don't recall who they were though and as far as I know, neither they or anyone else with MM has shown positive results by taking monolaurin. If you know otherwise, please share that info as I am sure we'd all be interested. I'm not saying monolaurin doesn't work, but I just haven't heard anything more about since I stopped taking it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  7. clearing

clearing Guest

Thank you zotjen.

I don't see how there would be a connection as to an abnormal rise in cholesterol with coconut extract?
    perhaps a slight increase from triglycerides. Perhaps something else was going on.
    Q.1 What was the 'high' number you reached?
    You say you tried it for awhile...lets drill down on that.
    Q 2.how much did you take and for how long?

Remember according to leading cardiologists - cholesterol blood scores don't matter as much as cholesterol ratio, quality and preexisting heart conditions. Despite the rather inappropriate AMA recommendation of 100...Remember this - 4 times as many people die of low cholesterol and as those with high cholesterol.

Setting an expectation here:
    To rid one of the viral load in their body it takes most patients (from what I have read) about 6 months to several years with persistent treatment to accomplish and then a maintenance routine must be inplace or as some report it may return. Although one might make good progress in as little as 3 - 6 months.

Whether symptoms of meniere's recede and at what point would be the unknown variable for each individual. But certainly if the virus is causing or contributing and the virus is located in a hard to reach area (inner ear etc) it would be logical to assume that the overall Meniere's symptoms would only improve slightly until those areas were reached. Getting one's viral load tested would be beneficial and then getting retested each year or 6 months to track progress. The load in the body is the 'shrubbery' one has to hack down to get to the 'roots' of the tree. Indeed the functional graph of the treatments progress suggests that around roughly 10 % can be reached (with persistent treatment) in the first 3 months - 6 followed by larger drops from 6 months onward. This makes sense as the viral load is greatest and still able to replicate close to a normal rate. Once the viral load comes down your body the treatment can focus on a smaller population of virus.

You are correct on your assertion that the Meniere's community is not yet onto this! That is why I presented this for discussion.
    If the cause or major contributing factor is a virus... and we all know this from progress made from Lysine, acyclovirs...etc. then why don't we just go about the job of killing the virus utterly?
    MANY including myself did not know this was even possible.
    On the other side of the pond in Europe, Dr's have been ridding people of viral loads and experiencing a return to normal or a significant improvement in health for decades utilizing monloaurin, BHT and others like essiac tea. I think its time for the Meniere's community to connect to the treatment and see how this translates!

8. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Jon,

This is great info. I love this type of stuff. Not only so you come with ideas but you have the smarts to get into the weeds on it.

Do you have any evidence of this working for anyone other than you?

Which of these can you get over the counter vs a script?

How much does it cost and who do you buy it from?

I know my MM is caused by a virus so this is very interesting to me... Have you gotten any feedback from John of Ohio? For how this would work with his regimen?

Thanks dude. Great post.

9. clearing

clearing Guest

Do you have any evidence of this working for anyone other than you? NO. I have an anecdotal comment I picked up on another board (cant even remember) that was positive. Thats it. The dearth of Meniere's patients trying this is why I am positing this as an approach. I read one patient Dr who was ridding himself of virus by self administering his own IVC treatments which from 3 - 4 IVC a month to the monolaurin orally with much better results.
    Which of these can you get over the counter vs a script? None require a script.

How much does it cost and who do you buy it from?
    Comparing to the cost of an IV of vitamin C the strongest natural form we know of previously; that cost is around 100 - 200 for one treatment and they recommended to do that weekly or at least monthly. For an initial load that would last 90 days for monolaurin, BHT and Essiac Tea it would roughly add up to the cost of one IVC treatment.

For capsules I bought this as they had little or no filers and had larger 800 mg pills. Monolaurin Top 10 Benefits — Natural Cure Labs
    for pellets I bought this. I feel you would need to blend and filter if using for neti pot. Inspired Nutrition
    I used this one below for BHT because it had no additives but I will search for a capsule that doesn't add stearates etc.

for essiac tea

No feedback yet from others.

10. joebiosolid

joebiosolid New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Monolaurin has done nothing for me. I've been taking the maximum dose since September.

11. justsaiyan

justsaiyan Member

Feb 23, 2018
    In August you posted that anti-virals were working for you, yet now you are saying that a virus supressing supplement which you are taking alongside your anti-virals I presume is doing nothing?

Do you know what Monolaurin this? Do you have any idea how long it may take to supress/kill a virus?

Nice way of spreading some unsubstantiated negativity.

12. clearing

clearing Guest

So if I start killing the virus what do I do and what should I expect?

Virus killing is for the long run. You have to be 'in it to win it' for life or at least many years. I read it took 6 months to cut viral load by 1/3rd to 1/2 or more according to many reports from Dr's who treat their viral patients. It wont be horrible and if so its temporary. Just dial back dosage - don't quit dosage. Bright side is with antiviral approach you are less likely to get flu and viruses from others.

As many have said in Meniere's land - if you are hoping to find a one pill and out/ I feel better right away solution....that isn't the way this is going to go. After initial kill off period expect to maintain a standard antiviral dosage to keep any remaining virus from spreading perhaps 3 grams perhaps little less. This will not alleviate much of your meniere's symptoms right away. Although, I noticed tinnitus AVERAGE lower once I had begun with some ups and downs. Many (like after quitting alcohol or starting acyclovir) get too hopeful when they see progress and relax the rest of their regimen. This would be a mistake that would lead to the virus returning. I recommend continuing any acyclovir, famciclovir or valacyclovir or other type of suppression such as L -Lysine and Vitamin C and continuing to avoid caffeine, alcohol, salt and chocolate. Not necessary but a great idea, get your viral load igg tested and retest each year or even every 6 months to track progress. Once at 0 though that doesn't mean you are done! that means that your blood doesn't show any sign. The virus is located in pockets and nerves that will still need attention. But your body will now have more than a fighting chance to help.

Die off symptoms: I can only speak to my experience yours will likely be different. I noticed viral die off about day 2 with 3 grams a day. Symptoms: tiredness. I felt like a nap around 3- 5 pm. After about 2 weeks that moved to 7 - 8 pm. Dial back the antiviral a little but not totally. say 1 - 2 grams with capsules instead of 3 for a day or two. Then return to 3 grams when die off is lowered. You want a little die off not a lot as it will tax your liver.
    I noticed lung cough. clear phlegm productive cough. At its worst, I felt almost flu like. My Meneire's related die off symptoms: I felt mild pressure in the ear after a 3 gram all at once dosage or colonic dosage. But never amounting to an episode. would seem to last about 2/3rds of a day and recede. at times tinnitus would rise a little (if doing 3 grams at once or colonics and other methods together).

Viral dosage delivery and managing die off.

Lets organize this into types of delivery.
    1. monolaurin only . 2. monolaurin with BHT and Essiac tea . 3. monolaurin et al via other methods such as Neti pot and colonics.

Level 1 monolaurin only . good starting place and easy to manage baseline treatment for most patients.
    3 grams of Monolaurin capsules taken throughout the day or all at once (throughout is best to manage die off)
    alternative delivery would be pellets - I recommend blending these first to dissolve the pellets as much as possible. Drink orally morning and or evening at the 3 gram daily level as capsules above. I hear there is a powder available but I don't not know of a good source yet. Please share if you find!

Increase the dosage once the die off is known and adjusted for. i.e 3 grams daily to start and then ramp up to 5 grams and if it can be tolerated up to 9 grams at times is considered the highest acceptable treatment dose.

Level 2 Monolaurin daily continued with BHT and Essiac tea. Level 2 would be best AFTER one's body gets adjusted to the 3 grams daily Level 1 Monolaurin only. weeks, months for die off to lessen? everyone will be different.
    Introduce BHT (capsules are easier but crystals mixed into coconut oil can also work). Only challenge with pure crystals is managing the exact dosage without measuring devices. recommended pulsed 500 mg 5 days on 5 days off. Note: anecdotal info from many who have been using BHT for years on end daily, report no side effects but for safety I am thinking a pulsed approach.
    Essiac tea 2 - 3 times a week 1 - 2 cups.

Level 3 - delivering monolaurin colonics (enema) and via neti pot
    ALWAYS USE ONLY CLEAN DISTILLED WATER. Tap water may have parasites, chlorine and other contaminants.

Viruses may be present all over your body (gut, head, Liver etc,) It is important to deliver antivirals to all areas as the antivirals wont kill unless it makes direct contact with virus. Most reading this have intestinal issues that colonics could bring relief to symptoms. I myself had IBS. I thought I had celiac's as my gluten/MSG allergy spiked way up in the last year. After rotating in colonics and maintaining an elimination whole food diet, the IBS went away in about 2 weeks for me. I have been working these in but for the general patient population I just throw a note of caution as to die off. If doing 3 - 9 grams in a colonic you would want to decrease the capsules amounts and other forms as needed.
    Try no more than a 7 - 10 day cycle of colonics. be careful to supplement with magnesium, potassium and vitamins as well as drinking lots of clean water. colonics can lead to dehydration.
    sample plan:
    day 1: 3 - 9 grams monolaurin antiviral
    day 2: decaf or CO2 decaf coffee or aloe vera
    day 3: probiotics 30 - 60 billion cells
    day 4: monolaurin
    continue til 7 or 10 day mark and STOP for 7 - 10 days.

Neti pot: ALWAYS USE ONLY CLEAN DISTILLED WATER. Tap water may have parasites, chlorine and other contaminants. when you use a neti pot you are now closer to brain so cleanliness will be important but don't be scared off.
    I recommend a cycle of about 5 days on and 5 days off. Use a mild strength filtered monolaurin ( 1 - 2 grams MAX using capsules broken up or powder is best...NOT PELLETS) anymore will likely burn or cause discomfort. If this happens for more than 30 minutes, rinse using neti pot with just clean water and that will bring it down. adjust as needed.
    see description in link. You want to hit the end of the eustachian tube if you can. Jala Neti method

13. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Clearing, Thank you for your interesting post. Monolaurin helped me to reduce the frequency of the attacks from 2-3 per week to one per month/ month and a half. It help me ‘survive’ to my surgery time and also it helped me keep my job. Everything is worth trying! Good luck!

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. clearing

clearing Guest

Marta, We really appreciate your feedback! Across the pond patients are usually more hip to these things than US patients are indeed. If I all I do is get these 'new to us' tools and virus killing realities brought to the minds of even a few more meniere's patients I would be ecstatic.

15. clearing

clearing Guest

Its almost the weekend so why not foreshadow a topic I will be researching and posting later on?
    There is no pill for OCD. :0

In my readings, I learned of virus cells that are more resistant than the gen population.
    Call them the 'castle keep' cells of any virus.
    These are due to metals they use and biofilms they develop in response to a threat.

Depending on an individuals metals count in their body, it may be that the Monolaurin and BHT need some assistance in diversifying the killing. Much like an killing candida needs an army of antifungals all at once to keep them from adapting to the protocol, it appears viruses also have the ability to resist and form a biofilm as well as bacteria.
    The next level up would be to involve chelation (removal of metals) as part of the effort. This may be smart to start about month 2 as they may start adapting (only some not all) to the monolaurin etc. Am told the monolaurin will get 80+% on their own perhaps a tad lower over time. Although this is why I suggest doing BHT and complimentary Essiac tea with monolaurin in the first place. You can chelate metals a number of ways. From the easy using Milk Thistle and Diatomaceous Earth or a more robust cleanse involving equal parts chlorella and cilantro are good self remedies. More? An EDTA IV can be a whopper to helping rid metals.
    Next aspect is enzymatic therapy. These can go with the monolaurin et al and deliver a satisfying compliment to the more resilient cells hiding in 'the keep'. Here is a link for more reading:
    Virus Biofilms | Putting the Pieces Together

As for this virus killing knight - I am gone for the weekend! Jon

16. clearing

clearing Guest

5 weeks in - small update.
    I have added BHT, monolaurin and Essiac tea to the acyclovir, lysine and vitamin c regimen. No episodes since beginning. T hats an improvement by 1 a month. Tinnitus is averaging about 75% less now with some ups and downs. I started olive leaf extract tincture yesterday. All die off has simmered down to very slight. That was the case about week 4 but it was robust the first 2-3 weeks. Full steam ahead.

17. clearing

clearing Guest

Here I am 5+ weeks in and started OLE (olive leaf extract) layering on top of everything else.
    Had relative stability from original die off on BHT, Monolaurin and essiac tea regimen. 3 days after starting OLE pretty strong die off at the treatment level last night. I guess it slowly built up and then - whammy. but that was at a treatment dosage not the bottle maintenance suggestion. symptoms for me (everyone is different) almost resembled an episode coming on. dizziness (that's a first for me on die off) fullness feeling slightly and flu like feeling. stronger than when I started the others. I am dialing it back but its at least good to know that over and above the others this is one product is really making progress on virus and other pathogen killing efforts. I still will continue acyclovir and lysine until i see more improvement on symptoms and a viral load shed of at least half on my IGG test. That may be 3 - 6 months more who knows. They all do their thing a little differently and its good to diversify to avoid biofilm resistance.
    Below: this is a good informational site on only olive leaf extract. It talks about dosages, what to expect on die off and even suggests a range of manufacturers. Olive Leaf Extract Dosage Guidelines

18. Glenn

Glenn Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Indy
    Questions-Drinking Essiac tea sounds good, but about the monolauren from the neti pot, do you pour it right in your ear? How do you do it? Can I get monolauren at walgreens, my local drugstore? Also, I would prefer to take a more natural approach such as eating more fruit with Vitamin C. I already take D3 1000mg a week. About the coconut oil, can I just eat some coconut flakes everyday, or real coconut? Or olive oil instead of leaves? I am very glad you have been getting results. Have you tried Garlic oil in your ear?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  19. joebiosolid

joebiosolid New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    I'm saying that I haven't seen any improvement in my menieres symptoms from taking monolaurin. That's not to say it doesn't work or maybe I haven't taken it long enough. I do know based on what I've read in this forum and others is that MD affects people in different ways and what works for one person may not work for another. I'm back to 2.5 grams of anti-virals/day, 4000 grams of lysene plus JOH's regimen and my symptoms have gotten worse since December. What would you suggest I do?

20. Kyle Bigman

Kyle Bigman New Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Thanks for this helpful post. Is it safe to take valayclovir every day? Is it possible to take it only when one gets an attack, such as when one gets a cold sore? I am planning to start a regimen with vitamin C, lysine, coq10, magnesium, taurine, and monolaurin. But not sure if it is safe to add valacyclovir daily or if there are drawbacks.