1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.
Lulu

Monolaurin Update - Vertigo Free For Almost A Year

1. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi friends :)

I’m just a little over a month away from being vertigo free for an entire year. After reading a thread at this forum about monolaurin which Vicki so graciously shared with all of us, and doing some research of my own, I decided to start taking Lauricidin (a brand of monolaurin) near the end of April 2015. Almost immediately after I began taking it my vertigo attacks subsided.

Here’s a little background about myself for anyone who may not be familiar with my MM journey. I was diagnosed with single sided Meniere’s (left ear) in March of 1998. From day one I tried every possible non-invasive avenue to try and get my attacks under control (low sodium, diuretics, no caffeine, Vestibular Rehab Therapy, countless supplements, moderate exercise to try and increase blood flow to my ear, Valium etc) but nothing seemed to help stop the attacks before they started. A few years after my initial diagnosis I was told I had gone bilateral. Even before going bilateral, my attacks were always very random and I was never able to predict when they might occur. Sometimes I’d have several attacks per week, sometimes 2 per month and then sometimes I’d go many months without any at all.

I found I couldn’t work outside of my home anymore so I quit my 25 year career as a hairstylist, started a cleaning company which I run from my home and just sort of lived with the attacks when they would hit me. Valium and lots of rest were how I got by.

About 3 years ago I started taking the JOH lite regimen (L-Lysine, Vinpocetine and Lemon Bioflavonoids) which greatly helped reduce the severity and frequency of my attacks but I still had breakthrough attacks from time to time. To this day I am very grateful to John, not only for sharing his regimen with all of us but also for the advice and help he offered me personally. I was very relieved to have the vertigo attacks lessened but I still felt that one attack per week or month or year was more than I wanted.

I tried numerous times to get either my OTO or PCP to prescribe antivirals for me but both refused saying they saw no correlation between the Herpes Virus and Meniere’s Disease (mind you, each time I went to see the good doctors I had either new or old cold sores that were healing on my lips but still they refused to prescribe antivirals.) I even had documentation on Dr. Gacek’s success with antivirals but that didn’t sway them one bit.

So last year I started taking Lauricidin and since then I’ve had no vertigo attacks. I’ve had a few times where I felt on the verge of an attack but never actually suffered one. I’ve also been cold sore free the entire time as well. I take 2 teaspoons of Lauricidin 3 times a day after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Another plus, I usually end up catching a cold (or two), the flu or a stomach virus during the peak season but this year I didn’t even have so much as a sniffle. I also suffered with a lot of digestive issues and that’s improved as well.

As with any MM plan of attack, there is no ‘one size fits all’ treatment plan. What works for me may not work for someone else but if, like me, you’re reluctant to go the invasive route or have been unable to convince your doctor to prescribe antivirals, monolaurin might be worth a try.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to ask here or send me a private message and I’ll do my best to help in any way I can. :)

Best wishes and blessings to all!
    Lulu ♥

• Like Like x 2
  2. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Lulu, I am glad you are feeling so good!! When did you first notice the change? How quickly did it kick in?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Lulu! so glad you are doing so well! and thanks so much for your update. Its wonderful to hear! {{{{HUGS}}}}

4. Vicki

Vicki Guest

for anyone interested here is one of the threads about monolaurin
    http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=1058.0

and here is the study
    http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=1053.0

5. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi Marta :)

I took my first dose of Lauricidin the day after I'd had a vertigo attack and (thank goodness) I haven't had another attack since then. At the time I was having about 2 attacks per month so until I had a whole spin-free month under my belt I was a little skeptical as to whether it was indeed the Lauricidin working or that perhaps I'd gone into remission. Prior to this, the longest period of time I'd ever gone without an attack was about 8 months so I feel fairly confident in saying I do believe it's the monolaurin that is keeping the vertigo at bay and not merely spontaneous remission.

If you (or anyone else) decides to give it a try, I would recommend starting with a very low dose such as 1/4 teaspoon once or twice a day and slowly upping your dosage to a full teaspoon (or more if needed) 3 times a day. Each time I upped my dosage I experienced flu-like symptoms (body aches, chills, nausea and feeling kind of icky all over) which lasted a few days. Also, take it with a cold drink as anything hot like coffee or hot tea will melt the pellets before you've had a chance to swallow them and they don't taste too good. :D

Best wishes to you!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi Vicki :)

Sending a huge (((hug))) and a big thank you right back to you!

I'm doing so much better than I was this time last year. I still have some 'off' days here and there (mostly weather and/or stress related) but not having my head in the commode a few days every month? I must admit it's not too shabby. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Vicki, thank you for the links. have a good day! ☀️

8. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    Very pleased for you Lulu. We all know that its different strokes for different folks and it may not work for some but to think that
    it could work for others is great news.

Long may your relief from vertigo continue.

9. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi Frank :)

Thank you for your kind thoughts and good wishes. I hope the vertigo beast has been absent from your life as well and will remain so.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    John of Ohio, what is your opinion on monolaurin?

11. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Worth trying. But I would not substitute it for any of more proven, demonstrated approaches to treating Meniere's (my regimen, antiherpetics, in particular).

If I had symptoms now (I don't. My regimen has kept me symptom-free for about a decade), I'd add a monolaurin element. Dosage and dosing schedule of this has not been very well laid out. Those matters need to be determined and laid out here for viewers. Right now, I don't know how much should be taken, or when; or, when positive results might first appear.

Those who have successfully used monolaurin have a responsibility to carefully lay out all the details. What was the exact product used? How much? When? For how long? What was the sequence of symptomatic suppression (if any)?

If a number of people diligently attend to these issues, and present results here, another big step in Meniere's treatment might result. If a proper and diligent course of monolaurin can have the same symptom-suppressing results my regimen and antiherpetics have had, this will be wonderful. Prescriptions are not needed for the components of my regimen; nor for monolaurin.

Hope this can be a third, widely successful new Meniere's treatment approach.

Ok, once again, let's learn of the details. What specific product? Where to purchase? How much to take each day? When? And finally, what has been timing and nature of the results? All of those are the matters I investigated in my many years of work on my regimen, laid out here: http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf

It does appear that monolaurin has antiherpetic qualities. Hope it can be used against Meniere's. But that will happen only if a number of people diligently, as described, do and post the required work. (I can't, as I no longer have symptoms).

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vicki

Vicki Guest

marta you should read through the threads I posted and this is what Lulu used I believe

https://www.lauricidin.com/
    and these are the FAQS and doses the company recommends. But there is die off effects so anyone who is going to try it go slow.
    https://www.lauricidin.com/faq

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    It might be good to give Lulu the time to come back around and tell us the particulars on what she used. I'm sure she will. She's helpful like that.

So happy for you, Lulu. May you continue to have success!

14. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    In response to John's questions:

What specific product? I've been taking the Lauricidin brand of monolaurin.

Where to purchase? I purchase it directly from the manufacturer's website which Vicki kindly provided the link to in her post above.

How much to take each day? When? I take 2 scoops (the supplement comes with a scoop which is the equivalent of one teaspoon) of Lauricidin 3 times a day after breakfast, lunch and dinner. The recommended use provided with the pellets is as follows:

Initial dose: 1/4 scoop 2-3 times daily for one week
    Increase dose to: 1/2 scoop 1-3 times daily for a week
    Maintenance dose: 1 full scoop 2-3 times daily
    The maximum recommended dose is 2-4 scoops 2-3 times daily

And finally, what has been timing and nature of the results? At the time I began taking Lauricidin I was having about two attacks per month. I took my first dose the day after I'd had an attack so I should have been due for another attack approximately 2 weeks later but I never had one and haven't had one since.

Lauricidin is the only thing I've been taking for almost a year now. I stopped taking the JOH regimen when I began taking monolaurin so I could give it a fair try. I felt that was the only way I could be certain to tell whether it was working on its own as opposed to working in combination with other supplements I was taking.

I would encourage everyone to please read the entire thread that was originally posted regarding monolaurin. There were several of us who tried it and not everyone experienced results (good or bad) from it. As with any MM treatment, it's up to each person to decide for his/herself whether it's something they're interested in trying. I'm simply sharing what my experience has been with it.

For anyone who may have missed it in Vicki's post above, here's the link to the original thread that she posted about monolaurin: http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=1058.0

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  15. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Thank you Cheryl. It's good to see you again! :)

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Right back at ya, Lulu. You should visit us more often. Since you're doing so well, though, I suppose you are off enjoying life. Good for you! It couldn't have happened to a nicer person. I wish everyone here were so fortunate.

17. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Thank you John and Lulu for your comments! Very much appreciated !!

18. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Lulu - I am so happy that you found something that works for you. At the end of the day - THAT is the key! SO SO happy that you have been able to not worry and enjoy life for a year!

19. prozeal

prozeal Member

May 9, 2015
    Hi Lulu, I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Thanks very much for coming back and updating us on your success!
    What you did was amazing in that you didn't take anything else but the Lauricidin so there is no confusion of what else may have worked.

20. James

James ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

May 12, 2014
    Lulu,
    I am so happy for you! It's about time you got some relief.Here's to many more days of health for you!