1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My computer geek 6th grader has me in an awkward dilemma!!! Help

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bulldogs, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    My wife and I give our 6th grader 20.00 a week for allowance and he must deposit it in his little checking account. With this money he is responsible for all his expenses with his friends such as movies going to eat at the mall ect.. and paying for his shoes. He likes the Kevin Durants and I refuse to pay for expensive sneakers. He must budget his money and make decisions for himself.

My mom and my brother also give him 500.00 for xmas and 100.00 for his birthday that must be put in his account. His allowance and his gifts from my brather and mom are his and my wife and I cannot touch it..... that is our agreement with him. If you spend your money and want more tough... you did not manage and budget wisely!!!

Here it goes.... he is a computer and science geek and loves everything technology. I told him tonight he needs to get some more sneakers and he told me he has no money for them at this time. I got a little upset and he went to my wife and told her the deal.

He told my wife he has has taken all his gifts this year and most if his allowance and has been buying ethereum, litecoin and bitcoin this year. She had never heard of it and for the most part I had heard of it but have no idea how to buy it and never thought twice about it.

Well well well....aftwo lots of questioning and threatening to take away his allowance he told me that he had taken all his money this year he told me it was about 1400.00 dollars so far and it is worth Lost 30k. He told me his goal is to pay for his college because he felt my wife and I should not have to do that so he invested it in the only thing he knew about being the technology worm he is.

You tell me what should I do? He has turned 1400.00 into almost 30k in less than a year by investing his money but now has no money to buy his shoes or go the movies with friends which is what the allowance and gifts were for.

A 6th grader sitting on 30k in ethereum, litecoin and bitcoin. He told me his goal is 100k in next 2 years and pay for his college.

....I told the Chief you gotta be fucking kidding me.

How is that for getting flowed on a Sunday night at the dinner table.

I am really at a loss but also very very proud of his thinking, I had no idea what this kid was doing on his Ipad at night. I still don't understand understand what he is doing but it's his money and I gave him his 20.00 allowance tonight for the week.

Unbelievable

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I wish I could curse up a storm on this forum but I can't. So let me just say that that is freaking hilarious!

I knew bitcoin's value had skyrocketed from years ago. Especially recently. Even Goldman Sachs is taking it seriously now. Seems like your son has good instincts. Or simply has reckless youth on his side.

I'm ok with the bitcoin as it's pretty legitimate. I don't know much about the other two. They'd worry me.

Also, is there a way to verify what he's saying he's made?

I don't know what to tell you. It's a nice problem to have. Good for him. Though if I were you I'd draw a line when he starts making you call him daddy.

I don't know what to say. You should call the Dr. Phil show. Seriously, they'd probably love to have you guys on with this story.

3. If that is the worst problem you ever experience from this child, buy the boy some shoes...and get some tips for the rest of us. :)

In all seriousness though, he still broke your rules, so it might be a good idea to tell him that while you are proud of him and appreciate his thoughtfulness with regard to paying for college, in the future you want him to talk to you about it. That way you at least know what is going on and can help him make good decisions, or won't be caught off guard. You're a very good business man if memory serves.

4. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    My son did not show me the account but he did show my wife and brother and they were able to verify it. She told me It is at a website called Coinbase she wrote everything down with notes as she was talking to my son.

She asked him how he heard about it and he said his friends at the country club do it and told him about it. These kids he plays golf and swims with are anywhere between 6th grade and high school.

5. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Impressive!!

6. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Have you considered monitoring your grade six, probably 11/12 year old son’s online activity?
    What’s unbelievable to me is that you weren’t already.

7. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    I do monitor his online activity, he is 12. These kids today know far more about technology and covering their tracks and deleting/erasing their footprints than you could imagine. He also told me most of his activity (buying) was being done at school or the public library.

I give him him allowance, birthday and Christmas money without any strings attached. If he wants to buy Tom Brady Jersey or Sneakers or go to movies ect....he can do what he wants. I'm still not buying him his basketball shoes he wants and tryout are this weekend.

I know that he will run to his uncle/my brother (he and my son are very close and i am sure brother knows everything and i will see him Friday when he takes care of the lawn) but I am staying out of it.

My son toldthe Chief all his friends all do it with their allowinces.

He did tell me though if it falls below a certain point he will sell it.

I have no idea what ehtereum, litecoin or ripple or bitcoin is. It is far beyond my ability to comprehend. This shit is a virtual currency. WTF

I told my son if I can't see it or smell it I don't mess with it and I am not changhng.

8. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Bulldogs, you sound like a good dad. I like your approach.

P.S. I fully agree with you discouraging the vice of celebrity/athlete worship and the exploitive product prices that come with it.

9. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
  10. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Oh, my bad. I thought that when you said you had no idea what your son was doing on his iPad at night that you meant that you had no idea what he was doing on his iPad.

11. Yes, Mel, he did. That's why my comment made reference to, "that way you at least know what is going on...won't be caught off guard."

Since when do kids get so much money nowadays anyway? Is it just me? I never received an allowance, though I had friends who did, and I worked odd jobs to make money. I was told this would make me appreciate the value of a dollar. Times are very, very different. Is it due to safety reasons that parents are scared to allow their children to perform the jobs that past generations considered rites of passage? You know, life guard, babysitting, cutting the grass? Is it stranger danger?

12. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Wow. Great phrase. I really relate to that.

I was playing an arcade game in a section of an arcade that was a bit removed from the main game area, but still IN the same area. A woman and her 8 or 10 year old kid came by and the kid started walking over to see me play. The woman shouted, "Anna stay away from there!" I just turned and looked at her like, "you have GOT to be kidding me." It's like I was playing naked or something.

Another time I was bike riding with my dog. I use an 25 foot retractable leash. We ended up in the cul-de-sac and a mom was planting flowers and her two kids were playing near her. They were far up on their rich-house big lawn. No where near the street. I was winding my way around the circle. She glared at me the whole time. I mean tracked me like a lion tracks prey. With an intimidating expression. Her gaze was It was so blatant and long that I had every right to yell, "what the f*** are you staring at lady?" Like I was somehow going to snatch her kid up, throw her on my back, while managing my cocker spaniel and riding my bike at the same time.

There have been many time such experiences, granted to a MUCH lesser degree. I get it. But some mom's need to be taught how to be more subtle about it, without making the guy feel like a convicted molester.

13. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    I bet your parents took care of your shoes, movies ect... i made the conscious decision to make my kids accountable and responsible about money. When it is gone, it is gone and they get no more. That way they are very careful how they spend and budget....something most college kids and adults can't even do hence the of dollars in credit card debt people carry around, its an albatross around their neck. Valuing a dollar is knowing it does not grow on trees and you must make tough decisions about what is important.

As for the 20.00 a week.... As a parent i feel that is suitable for a 6th grader (12 years old). For gods sake a movie can cost that much and going to get a pizza with friends is that much. He has tough decisions to make and budget.

you worked odd jobs, hence you feel he does not help around the house and the allowance is just a gimmie. He has to keep his room clean, make his bed, help with dishes, take out the trash, ect.....

Full Disclosure: if he has to babysit his 2 other younger siblings for whatever reason we do pay him 10.00 an hour, that is less than the 12.00 an hour kids in the neighborhood babysit for.

14. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Possibly.

On a related note, of late I've considered a correlation between stranger danger—a generation under 24-hour parental supervision—& the censorship, deplatforming (as a new form of rebuttal, apparently), safe spaces, & trigger warnings that we're currently experiencing in general, though particularly on college campuses.

If I remeber correctly, you recently mentioned the negative consequences of good intentions, oui?

15. That sounds about right, Nathan. I saw an article headline regarding Cambridge students receiving trigger warnings...for Shakespeare?!

Bulldogs, You aren't a helicopter parent, so your kid had enough independence to make $30,000! I think independent kids(to a point) are preferable to those that can't handle life.

16. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *nods … is nodding. Is nodding a lot.

What are you saying, Autumn? That rational & healthy ground often exists somewhere between polar absurdities?!

Heresy!

17. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    That's some sort of kung fu take down right there! LOL

18. It came into my head kind of like the warning on McDonald's coffee, you know..."Warning coffee is hot". I had to throw that in there for the same reason.

19. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I noticed that pizza boxes, at least here in AU, now feature the warning "open box before eating pizza". When I noticed this I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ironically, I now feel the need to warn potential readers that my indecisiveness to lament in response to having read this warning, didn't occur due to my desire to eat the box.

Often I wonder, & feel guilty when I do, whether or not completely circumventing natural selection is a good idea.

At minimum, if you're inclined to eat a pizza before opening the box, please, please do so before you breed.

20. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    Well, Well, Well.......My son quietly opened my bedroom door last night for what i thought was a good night hug and kiss (The Chief and i were flipping back and forth between HGTV and the Redskins/Cowboys game) as it was around 9:30 and he said he just finished his homework.

BUT

he wanted to talk to me about his Bitcoin, Litecoin and Etheruem.....I have no clue about any of this stuff but he said he we need to talk!!!

To make a long story short he said he was not comfortable with having so much money and wanted to sell some of his cryptocurrencies and if he could transfer some of his money to my bank account and have me keep it for him when he wants it.

I said sure just trying to be nice and told him he has an account at Schwab that mommy and i have for him and he could just do that if he wanted, but he could not touch it once it was in Schwab. He said ok.

He said he did not want to sell all his bitcoin, litecoin and ethereum just some of it. Not wanting to get involved and wanting him to gain confidence i gave him his account number to schwab to have it transfered.

This morning i checked to see if he did it and low and behold his account balance increased by almost 40k.

I just looked at a website he gave me and saw that this stuff was over 10K for a bitcoin and litecoin and ethereum was going crazy as well.

I told him i would not interfere but i feel i have a right to know what is gong on and just how much this kid has in cryptocurrencies and where this is all going.

As of a few weeks ago he is still getting his allowance but he is also working at one of the funeral homes here in the area for me on the weekends doing odd jobs like helping wash the vehicles, helping with vacuuming and other odd jobs for extra money.

At first i was like ok this will crash and burn and he will learn a lesson but now i am concerned and feel i need to know more even though i promised not to get involved.

Tough call for me but he is only in the 6th grade and yet he is well on his way to paying for his education and car and who knows what else.

I will talk to the Chief tonight about it as well as my brother as he is one who set this account up for my son.