1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My experience with fasting only on water

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mindosa, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    So hearing all good stories about fasting I decided to try it myself whether it can affect my MD symptoms in the good ways. In the beginning I was thinking to fast only for 16 hours. I have read that after 16 hours of fasting, healing processes begins in the body. It starts using ketones for energy and overloads the immune system.

First 16 hours went quite easily, so I decided to proceed till 24 h and it was quite easy. After reaching 24h mark, my determination grew stronger and I decided to proceed till 48h and then till 72h. What an achievement! I never thought I could do that in my life! Again, my determination grew stronger and stronger and I proceeded. Then I noticed that after 3 days of fasting my tinnitus went down quite a lot! I was excited, finally the first results! Then I decided to proceed till 5 days and then till 7 days!

Reaching the last day was quite difficult to me, I was constantly very hungry and had almost no energy to work or doing sport. There were no big changes in my symptoms. My tinnitus after 3 days of fasting was still very quiet. Other symptoms like hearing fluctuations, sound distortions and fullness in the ears were not as strong as before, but still present and it could be just coincidence. So I decided to stop, it costed too much energy to proceed.

Unfortunately, after a week, my tinnitus has reached the former level.

Now I am wondering maybe 7 days was not enough to greatly reduce or eliminate my MD symptoms or it is just impossible?

It would be nice if someone could share their experience or thoughts!

2. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    My gosh I don't believe that starving yourself and depriving your body of needed nutrients will help you in any way. Where did you get the idea to do this? Did you read about this here on the forum? How could this help "eliminate ...symptoms"? Please be careful.
    I have had MM for decades. I suffer and I continue on living as best I can. To me, tinnitus is the least bothersome of the symptoms and I have it loud and 24/7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    It is possible that I am not the best sea to give advice since he tried everything in this forum and now I am risking something else as you already know.

But all the things that I have done at least I have looked for that have either a clinical trial behind (Antivirals), or a good amount of testimonies that affirm that it has worked for them (JOH) or at least that the theory on which they are based makes sense after asking someone skilled in the art like a doctor (what I'm trying now) or in your case, a nutritionist.

As far as I know, depriving your body of nutrients only helps the stomach or intestines to heal if you have a gastritis or gastrointeritis problem and it is never more than 24 hours of fasting, after that serum is given in small amounts or small healthy meals .

If fasting has reported any other benefit to your health, it is not because of the fast it is or because of the placebo effect or because you are normally consuming something that is toxic to your health and when you withdraw it you have noticed improvement. Examine your diet to see if you may be eating something that you are allergic or intolerant to (gluten, nickel, etc.) or that just feels bad.

4. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Well, if science, medicine and nutritionists had all answers about our bodies, there were no Meniere's, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other incurable diseases. Sounds right?

Ok, if you do your research about fasting, besides it’s not the same as starving, you can find that fasting is in every religion as a benefit for health. Our ancestors from the beginning of the human kind always were fasting, because they didn't have the food everyday 3 or 6 times per day. They needed to hunt or to find the food first and these days without the food helped them to mobilize human bodies for survival.

Fasting is written in our evolution and not only in humans but it's everywhere in the nature. And now, when we have the food 3 or 6 time per day and every day, our bodies lose this healing abilities and new diseases starting to occur like diabetes, obesity and so on..We never had these kind of diseases before and when doctors says, there is nothing we can do about your disease and you have to learn to live with that (sound familiar?) people starting to seek other options and starting to remember what humankind has forgotten.

Now there are lots of fasting clinics worldwide, because people don't want to live with that and you will be very surprised to know what kind of diseases you can rid of - exactly the ones which doctors says you need to learn to live with that!
    There are also lots of fasting systems. If you are "healthy" person you can fast without supervision 7 to 10 days, but longer you fast better results could be. There are lots of famous people's testimonials and I am sure you can find in your country too, just do your research.

When my MD symptoms started in late March of this year, I visited several doctors and I was diagnosed with hypertension (high blood pressure). I never had this kind of problem! Even quite recently in the end of 2019.

But recent events - my brother got cancer, then my mother also got cancer, I myself had a nose surgery and then Covid event with the quarantine when I am running my business and I was very concerned about the business future, apparently something in my body collapsed from the tension and I got hypertension and apparently MD. Everything this happened in several months, so I thought just great, life is beautiful!

So when I saw a tv show about one famous person's (in our country) fasting story and what health benefits he got, I started my own research. When I was quite confident in my research, I immediately started fasting.

So what I noticed that when began fasting, my blood pressure lowered. I am measuring my blood pressure every day and several times per day since my GP noticed hypertension in the beginning. The blood pressure stayed quite normal and after fasting and when I told about to my GP, she was not surprised at all. She already knew that fasting helps body to regulate blood pressure. I hope I permanently fixed my very high blood pressure.

Also, when I was fasting, there were no headaches which I have quite often. The head was very clear every day, but then when finished fasting, headaches returned after several days. Probably my headaches are somehow related to my food which I eat and my body don’t like it.

So for me, fasting didn’t sufficiently alleviate my MD symptoms, but because it could be related to my TMJ. You can’t fix lower jaw joint position with the fasting, it’s impossible.

Here you can find my post about TMJ:

TMJ

Today only the third day, when I am wearing TMJ appliance, but so far so good. Now I can listen to the music in my car when I am driving and it’s wonderful after these several months of sound distortions and Hyperacusis (sensitivity to sounds)! I definitely will post how it will go.

Besides, you will be surprised how close lower jaw joints to our inner ears are! Put your fingers deep as you can in your ears and try to chew and you will feel it. I was surprised!

So I hope this post was quite informative to everyone. Just do your research and Good luck!

5. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I almost forgot to mention, that in 2016, Japanese molecular scientist Yoshinori Ohsumi was awarded the NOBEL PRIZE for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy! Term autophagy from the Greek means for ‘self-eating’. Autophagy is vital processes in which the body’s cells “clean out” any unnecessary or damaged components. Researchers have linked autophagy to several positive health effects. They also believe that a person might be able to induce autophagy by fasting.

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2016

Just do your own research!

6. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  7. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I know, you are thinking now, if this all sounds good, why there are not enough good stories about fasting and especially in Meniere’s community as we are only just 0.2% of all population? Well, simply because most of us had newer try it. We are thinking that is not for me, I have not enough willpower to do this, I have week health and my doctor will not allow and so on, just you name it. Instead we choose new magic pill with the long side effect list or even surgery and that’s for almost everyone sounds safe and right, because someone approved it, someone decided for us, someone who make money from us.

Another reason you didn't hear about fasting benefits or did hear controversial info, because fasting is really bad for pharma companies and for some doctors too, simply because they can't make money from it! Just think about how much money they make every year! Pharmacy is a huge business and they could make it happen that you hear lots of controversies about fasting, just think about it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Would you like me to think about it silently to myself, or to think about it aloud, publically, here on the forum?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sandra005

Sandra005 Member

Jul 11, 2020

Sounds dangerous to me. Maybe a day or 2 but not 7 days. I can understand having something like meniers you'd try anything but I don't think this would help in any way. I actually sleep with the TV on which is quite loud to block out the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I will only say that our nomadic ancestors only lived 20 years, I would not take them as a health guide. Human life expectancy began to grow in sedentary ancient civilizations with the knowledge of cultivation, fishing and other sources of food, along with better comforts for sleeping, not being cold, etc. Obviously in this period those who lived the most were the wealthy classes, precisely the poor who had a poor diet and starved if the harvest was poor they did not live too long. Some pharaoh of Egypt lived 100 years, many Senators of Ancient Rome lived between 70 and 80 years, etc.

Don't think I don't know what is being said about the benefits of fasting, but you will also know that nothing is proven by a clinical trial. Although it is true and it is known that fasting does slow cellular aging and reduces the risk of cancer and also, what you say, seems to help reprogram T-cells of the immune system. But they are indications, it has not been demonstrated and it is not known what long-term effects fasting can have, perhaps long-term damage does not compensate for short-term improvement.

In any case, there are lots of ways to fast and even a nutritionist who believes in the benefits of fasting will not recommend opting for 72h fasts. There are three types of fasting much safer without putting your health at risk and especially without killing damaging both your neurons and hair cells due to lack of nutrients:
    -Fast one day a week.
    -Fast 12 hours a day and then eat a large amount of healthy food. Not processed, etc.
    -Maybe the least dangerous: Diner well and a large amount of healthy food and the rest of the day only take small amounts of vegetables or nuts.

Anyway, I would not opt for fasting as the first alternative treatment without first trying everything that is safer and it is known that some have worked for them: JOH, AV, check my cervicals and teeth, even the mushrooms that you mentioned, extract of marine pine and above all, I do not know why people do not start so they really have a medical clinical trial approved by the health of tons of countries of the first world for this disease: Betahistine can be taken up to 24mg every 8h (maybe more , worse ask a doctor) I am now on 24mg every 12h without great dizziness for almost a month and in fact tomorrow I am going to drop to 20mg every 12h to try to find the lowest maintenance dose.

Betahistine works on 80% of patients, it takes 1-2 months to take effect; but it is clearly noticeable because also if you stop taking them for two days the dizziness returns (verified at the end of April and on July 1 by me). They reduce the frequency of dizziness and dizziness as well as their duration and also speed up the recovery time of balance after an attack. It is not as effective on tinnitus, but 50-60% reported an improvement in tinnitus volume as well.

Try the drugs that science has proven can work first, the older you have to try other things little by little to find that it can work of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    If prolonged fasting sounds dangerous or mission impossible, you can always try intermittent fasting which are becoming more and more popular these days. You can search the internet and you will find a lot of intermittent fasting systems and you can chose which is best for you.

12. Sandra005

Sandra005 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I do believe giving your body a rest is important so I'll definitely have a look into it. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sandra005

Sandra005 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I head Ginkgo bilobais good for dizziness not so sure about meniers though.

14. Sandra005

Sandra005 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Just
    Just read that it is good for vertigo

15. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Apparently I am "not alone" in this forum who did fasting. Dscubs member writes:

Fasting for a day or two always helps to relieve tinnitus and dizziness - for a couple of days to about 2 weeks.

You can find his all post here:

Looking for new insight ...

Very interesting post to read and to think! Fasting helped me for tinnitus and dizziness also, the head was very clear!

16. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    The purpose of this post is to share my and others fasting experiences and got results. This information could be vital for those who is desperate for the relieve and who tried everything and didn't help.

I would be very appreciative for others to be actively involved in sharing their experiences!

17. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    To clarify, so members know what it is you're asking of them: you want members to share their fasting experiences, but not their thoughts on fasting, & you only want members to share their fasting experiences if their fasting experience produced positive results?

18. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Our bodies are depleted from ongoing MM symptoms. Prolonged fasting can only exacerbate that depletion. Do your own research of course.

19. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    @Mindosa while I disagree with your fasting regimen I like that you are exploring.

20. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Decided to share this Fasting for Meniere's Disease experience: