1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My First Post: Beginning the Journey on Antivirals (Famciclovir)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by EkkoMusic, Jul 26, 2021.

1. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Hello all! I’ve been monitoring here for a while after dealing with mild cochlear hydrops for 13 months. I’ve had occasional bouts of low-frequency diplacusis, and lately a lot of aural fullness (my main complaint) as well as a recent episode of hearing loss. What’s odd is I suffered a high-frequency loss (3k went down 30 dB or so while the rest was unaffected) so it’s admittedly confusing if I’m actually dealing with Hydrops, but for now we are proceeding as if it’s so.

Due to the overwhelming success stories of antivirals here, I convinced my neurotologist to prescribe me Famciclovir, and I am currently on day 6.

I was also on prednisone at the time of starting due to my loss, so the experience thus far may be muddled by that. On my third day of Famciclovir, I experienced another high-frequency hearing loss in my bad ear (even while simultaneously on the prednisone!). However, this loss lasted only two hours before self-resolving. It was very strange—my high ‘white noise’ tinnitus in my bad ear disappeared, but I also realized that I could only hear up to 12.5k instead of my regular 15k in that ear (I regularly test this with a tone generator). I have no explanation for this brief, sudden occurrence, apart from I have read that the virus likes to make “one last stand” at the introduction of antivirals. My hope is that this was a sign of something working.
    Beyond that, I seem to still have a little lingering fullness and ear aching following the steroid taper.

My main questions for now:
    1. I was put on Famciclovir 500 mg 2x daily (so 1g per day) as my initial dose. I’ve read this may be considered a low dose in comparison to other antivirals, but is this an appropriate starting dose for Famciclovir?
    2. I’ve also read about the brands of Famciclovir mattering but I do not have a great grasp on all that yet. I just know people keep mentioning “Northstar” but say it is expensive. Could someone catch me up on this arena so I can make sure I’m getting the best version? I believe the brand I have is from Teva.
    Thank you all! I am excited to join the community here and look forward to any and all thoughts you may have as I begin this treatment.

• Like Like x 1
  2. meemil

meemil New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Hey, just wanted to chime in and say that I have the exact same stuff as you for 3 years now, low frequency diplacusis that comes and goes once in month or so, usually with hearing loss episodes (used to be very bad with ear going half deaf and lasted for days about 1-2 years ago, now they only last 30 mins to 2 hours and affect a narrow frequency band).
    My hearing loss episodes also have gone anywhere from 500hz to 13k, most often in the 1-3k range. Also both of my ears have been affected from the beginning, though left slightly more often.

I never tried a round of antivirals but rather a natural antiviral called L-lysine. I'm also treating Lyme Disease as all this stuff started after an bad infection with bunch of other neurological symptoms.

Very interested to hear updates on your situation as it closely reflects what I've been going through.

3. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Hey! Yes wow, this actually does sound very similar to me! The one thing that really sticks out to me is the fact that a narrow frequency band is affected. I've found, just in the last six months, several new tinnitus tones pop up for me and I always use a tone generator to discover a permenant hearing dropout that maybe occurs over a range of only 50 Hz - 1,000 Hz before getting back to normal, making these losses virtually hidden by a normal audiogram. It's very strange, and yes I have one in my left (good) ear as well. Does this sound similar to you as well? How else have you been treating this besides the L-lysine (and speaking of, would you recommend I try that as well?)

Again, I've only had this for 13 months, so it sounds like you're a bit ahead of me with 3 years. But, I'm glad to hear it sounds like it's been getting better? At least, the frequency/severity of attacks seems to be less and less? Would love to hear how it's all progressed for you so I can maybe know what to expect myself. Again my neurotologist and I are a bit puzzled by the high-frequency involvement but yes we're just going with Cochlear Hydrops for now.

4. meemil

meemil New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Yes, my visits at the doctor were puzzling too, high frequency issues and also bilateral from the start got them confused. By the way, looking at your name, I assume you work with music too? I'm actually a music producer/mixing engineer so been researching this like crazy haha.

And exactly! Loss is not visible in a regular audiogram but noticeable in a sine wave sweep. Has yours always returned to the baseline too?

For me it's been a rough ride. I feel this is a very personal journey and I'm still not 100% sure if I'm doing the right thing. Basically all started for me after getting a bad summer flu with a rash all over my body in army. 1-2 months after that I started developing all sorts of neurological symptoms, aches, muscle twitching, and also the cochlear hydrops while the rashes still present. Read up on it and figured that I might've gotten a chronic infection from a tick during the summer as I served military in an area with lots of ticks. I started on a natural treatment for Lyme and co-infections as I'm terrified of long term antibiotics and been actually seeing some improvement. I still have hydrops episodes quite regularly but they are way less intense and shorter to what I used to have. This spring I was virtually symptom free from everything and started slacking on the treatment. Hydrops came back with all the other neuro symptoms, so I've been slowly building up on the protocol again. But even then, it's still been way better than what I started with.

I've also had some dizziness sometimes, but that's always been when I have no issues with hearing/fullness/tinnitus. So idk if that's hydrops or just part of the countless other neuro symptoms I have.

You have a background story you're willing to share? Honestly first time I've found such a close match for symptoms during these 3 years.

5. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Yes! Young and into music as well so it’s nice to have a little edge on understanding sound and having some tools to test things.

My episodes of low-frequency diplacusis would always self-resolve after a week or two. My first episodes of high-frequency hearing loss went on for two weeks without resolving so I went on prednisone. With this latest episode of hearing loss at 3k, I went on steroids within six hours. Just don’t want to risk permanent damage!

Interesting to hear this began with a summer flu for you—again makes me suspect a viral component perhaps!

What is your long-term treatment for Lyme that has given you some benefit?

I’m so glad to hear confirmation that your Hydrops episodes have become less intense. At what point did this start happening for you?

My background is rather simple I think: I’d have week-or-so-long episodes of low-frequency diplacusis and nothing else for six months, an episode occurring about every two months. After six months of that, I had my first episode of a plugged-up ear and high-frequency hearing loss. Needed prednisone after two weeks of it not resolving on its own. From there, started betahistine and haven’t really had low-frequency diplacusis since, though I began experiencing aural fullness in my bad (right) ear and tinnitus appearing in both ears. Only last week did I have this next hearing loss episode, again recovered with steroids. Just started famciclovir and will see how that goes.

6. meemil

meemil New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    About the tools, I recommend getting a hearing test app on your phone if you already don't have one. A pair of studio headphones and screenshotting an audiogram when your hearing is normal and comparing that to a worsening is a good way to check for any bigger fluctuations.

As for prednisone, that stuff can work for tougher episodes. I used to take that in the beginning but honestly in my case it was not the best idea as it weakens the immune system, and doesn't always work very well for hydrops cases.

For me, I started with the help of this forum. JOH and large doses of C-vit. That did help for a few months but still got a bad episode with all frequencies messed up and noticeable hearing loss in lower frequencies.
    That's when I started researching more and connecting the dots with my other (also increased) symptoms.

This article particularly was eye opening:
    Audiologist: "There's a huge connection" between Lyme disease and profound hearing loss. | HuffPost

Did some blood tests and got a positive for Bartonella and which is a co-infection of Lyme and lyme itself came back as indecisive. Might still be a viral component as well, but I feel mine is mainly caused by an immune response to the bacteria.
    The treatment I'm using is combination of natural antimicrobials that herbalist Stephen Buhner has written a lot about. When I started that with full doses, I woke up in middle of the night, drenched with horrible chest and leg pains, palpitations and one of the worst hydrops episodes. Some people call that a "herx" reaction due to bacteria die off. Backed down quite a bit on the doses and started slowly raising which led to a gradual improving.
    As I mentioned, I still get the diplacusis episodes, but they're narrow band (like range of few hundred hz), short and no ear fullness, which used to be a very annoying symptom for me.
    Also my hearing hasn't taken any permanent damage so far.

Can you recall anything weird happening before the hydrops started for you? Any weird symptoms that feel unrelated, head trauma, allergic reactions etc.? "Cochlear/endolymphatic hydrops" is just a name for symptom combo which has a root cause afterall.

Also interesting to hear that betahistine has so far helped with your diplacusis! I've noticed that benadryl might help too, but hard to say for sure as stuff fluctuates.