1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My story on trying to get a cochlear inplant

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yellowboy, Dec 1, 2022.

1. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I have tinnitus that is beyond maddening. In May I was in for my annual checkup (which as most of you know is a waste of time) with my ENT and he suggested I should get tested for a cochlear implant because my bad ear is useless (his exact words).. He told me that in England people are getting cochlears put in ears that can hear because they are finding the cochlears reduce tinnitus. The test is required for Medicare to pre appove payment for it.
    So in July I see his audiologist and she seemed surprised that he would even test me as my good ear is about 88 % with a hearing aid which was in my ear when they tested me. Needless to say my hearing was too good to qualify for it under Medicare. So I asked the doctor if I could pay for the cochlear out of pocket and he refused. said that would men gutting my ear and the hearing could come back. (really ??). I then requested another test a couple of months later - knowing what I had to do. I had to pay for the test out of pocket as Medicare only pays for 1 test a year. Of course I told them my tinnitus got worse since the last test which was true. However I still had to cheat in an attempt to qualify and the audiologist stopped the test because she said I was cheating. I told her I have suicidal tinnitus and didn't care about anything but stopping it. She said they could not approve it knowing (or suspecting) I was cheating. I wish he had not gotten my hopes up as he should have known I would not qualify. I am between a rock and a hard place.

2. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Sorry to learn of this struggle. As a CI recipient, I can tell you that it only masks tinnitus while you are wearing it. The second you take the processor off, the tinnitus is still there. I can sympathize with your struggle as I have tinnitus on both sides: high-pitched ringing in the right, low-pitched drone in the left in addition to pulsing whooshing sound in the left. Implant is in the right. Hope you can find some relief soon.

Kevin

3. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thank you for your response. I don't feel so bad now, and I see why the doctor would not agree to do it. He said there was no guarantee and that I might be dissapointed in the results.

4. Lilja

Lilja Member

Sep 14, 2021

5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    They’ve been doing some interesting research on tinnitus at the University of Minnesota. Here’s a link to one study: New research could help millions who suffer from tinnitus
    A few years ago Dr. Lim had been working with the Apparel Design program on a wearable shirt that would reduce tinnitus. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  6. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thank you for this - it is not available in the US but I just contacted them and am awaiting a reply. I am so desperate I would travel to Ireland for an evaluation without hesitation.