1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Nerologist has me confused ear question?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Karenplus8, May 19, 2014.

1. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    In the past month I have had an MRI and an MRA and the month before I had a vng and an Echo. My nero called to tell me that my MRA was normal and wanted to know if I still had facial numbness. I said yes I do but its the worst when my ears are full and hearing is difficult. I asked him if my inner ear being swollen could cause my facial numbness. He said no that the facial nerve isn't connected or in the ear. I looked it up and the facial nerve runs right next to the vestibular and acoustic neuroma so if I had swelling enough to push on that nerve would I not get facial numbness? Does anyone else have this problem??

2. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I could be wrong but I thought I read that MAV (migraine associated vertigo) can cause some of the numbness. Have they discussed MAV with you?

3. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    Yes but I don't get headaches :eek:

4. DL Bach

DL Bach Member

May 18, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Migraines aren't always headaches. They can present in many ways. In fact I once had what my doc called an ocular migraine. Lost all my vision while driving for about 10 seconds. They can also present as dizziness. You should sit down and have a very frank conversation with your doctor.

5. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I agree with Debbie, Karen if you haven't already take a look at this post in the database

http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=32.0

You can also go to the old forums database and read the many posts in that MAV thread.

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Acoustic neuroma is a benign tumor on the 8th nerve. The facial nerve (7) is right next to the hearing and balance nerve (8). A tumor on the 8th nerve can cause hearing and balance problems not unlike MM. The tumor can also get large enough to attack the facial nerve and cause numbness etc. However, that is just what the MRI is done to rule out. If the MRI is clear, I would not think that is what it is. Did the dr tell you the MRI was clear? If so, I don't think you have to worry about an acoustic neuroma.

7. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    My MRI and my MRA where both clear

8. 1Dizzybee

1Dizzybee New Member

May 12, 2014
    Tennessee
    I've actually been diagnosed with migraine. I don't really get headaches just almost constant mild dizziness. I would talk with your neuro about it. There's a separate forum for that, not sure I'm allowed to say what it is ;) Migraine can cause all kinds of strange stuff.

9. vasu

vasu New Member

May 12, 2014
    That's interesting. Do you have any classic menieres symptoms like unilateral fluctuating hearing loss? I had cluster migraines 10 years ago that suddenly stopped. Then 5 years ago cochlear hydrops that lasted 4 months. I've had a recurrence again now. I've always wondered if my condition is a presentation of Migraine.

10. 1Dizzybee

1Dizzybee New Member

May 12, 2014
    Tennessee
    I have no hearing loss whatsoever. My tinnitus also seems to be more "in my head" than in my ears. I occasionally get a high pitched "E" sound in my left ear but that's about it. But my hearing is perfect. I've read that hearing loss can be associated with migraine as well, though.

11. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    I have low hum all the time in my right ear. My hearing changes all the time and sometimes I get the bad speaker crackle like a punch to the head in my right ear when people talk loud or I have to yell.

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    That is typical of cochlear hydrops or at least in my case it was.