1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New experience - Vertigo?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Phillybirds20, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Phillybirds20

Phillybirds20 New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Hi everyone. I’m new here and would like to share my experience to see what you think.

Ive had tinnitus in my left ear for decades...probably since my teen years. I just turned 40 in December. I always had ear infections and fluid, and my mother refused to have them put tubes in. Well this has lead to the tinnitus and increased hearing loss in my left ear over time. I have had tubes in my right ear, but my hearing is good in that one.

I recently went to my ENT with increased tinnitus in that left ear and fullness. I thought it was maybe wax buildup and needed cleaning. Nope. He said I needed a hearing test, as my last one was in 2013. The left ear has gotten a lot worse. Speech recognition had gone from 80% down to below 50%, and he said there was “negative pressure” in the ear.

I need an MRI to check on things in there, and probably a hearing aid he said. Ugh. Well last night was the scariest thing I’ve encountered. I woke up and my vision was moving from right to left while I’m still. I started sweating profusely, nauseous. I was about to wake my wife up to take me to the ER as I was fearful I was having a cardiac issue. I waited it out and the symptoms disappeared as quickly as they came, all at the same time just vanished. That’s when I made the connection that this may be an inner ear issue.

After looking at the symptoms and searching online everything has pointed to this Meniere’s Dz. I’ve also had bad depression issues for over 12 years. Prior panic attacks, anxiety. Have been on meds since 2008. That’s secondary of course, but I’m wondering if it could all be connected.

What do you think? I haven’t gotten to tell
    my ENT about the episode as it’s now Saturday, but does it sound like the onset of Meniere’s?

2. Sandra005

Sandra005 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Hi I'm also new here and I know a little about meniers but still don't know if I have it as my symptoms could suggest any form of vertigo. I always thought the biggest symptom of meniers was vertigo tinnitus and hearing loss all at the same time of an attack but I suppose everyone is different. I think your vision experience Is a little vague. Was the room spinning or moving? Your hearing loss is from the tinnitus and mite not be due to meniers as you've had it from your teens. In my opinion it don't sound like meniers. Everyone is different but on average a vertigo attack lasts 20mins upwards but average 2 hrs.

3. Sandra005

Sandra005 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    And you stated you were still when having this experience. It could even be BPPV which is most likely if you've gotten it on waking up. I have bppv and get a floating sensation and find it hard to focus my eyes. When crystal are loose in the ears they float causing vertigo and that's why I sleep with 5 pillows. You can try the hallpike test or epley and you'll know if this is wat it is. If u experience vertigo then it's bppv.