1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New member, face numb

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Rieska, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Rieska

Rieska New Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Hello,

I was diagnosed with Merniere's just a month ago. And thinking back several years some of the symptoms make sense:

I have had my right ear buzzing now and then for years, I can't remember when it buzzed the first time but probably a decade ago(I am 38 years old). Sometimes it has buzzed for a day or few, and onetime it buzzed for a month, that time doctors did not have any explanation for the buzz, a slight hearing loss(-30dB) on lower frequencies was diagnosed then with the buzz. When the ear has not been buzzing, I have "perfect" hearing as the doctors say.

Also, for some years, I have had random little balance problems, like doing something in some tight spot around the house and turning around my balance was a bit off. Quite little, but something I noticed. Doctors had no opinion on this when I once asked a few years back. I kind of neglected these symptoms to be due the tight spots I have in between my shoulderblades/back. Always when I had these little balance problems it was during a time when my back was super-tight(I work with computers, so I just sit all day).

Ok, last summer I got my first real "balance attack", I do not know can you call it vertigo as the world did not go around but it was when I walked to try to figure it out it was like my body felt it was going really heavily to the right and it was difficult to walk straight.
    This was diagnosed as vestibular neuritis. I got a cortisone description for it.

Terrible med for me that cortisone, it was a short and heavy description but it took months for my body to recover. (cold sweating was the main symptom).

January this year, "balance attack" again. Little nausea, no meds.
    After these two balance attach my calves and toes was tingling when driving the car, something to do with my eyes and when the scenery goes by in the vision, I do not know how to explain this in English.

May this year, Vertigo and vomit. Buzzing, low frequency hearing loss with buzz again and diagnosis as Merniere's. After the vertigo attack I had a few smaller really short attacks related to balance not working. (I was on a pier and my son rocked the pier, terrible. Other I do not know how to explain in English)

I live in Europe so I am eating Betaserc(betahistine) right now.
    Betaserc for me at least took the buzzing from the ear away(I was buzzing when I got the description->eat meds->buzzing stopped->wen't few days without meds for trial->buzzing came back->after that I have eaten meds regularly). And this general brainfuzz/odd feeling in my head has gone, thought at some times I am super fatigued and I just take several naps during the day, some days I do not have fatigue. I hear some whining though now more as the buzz has disappeared, not sure why.

OK, long story short I just wanted to ask right now that how many of you having Merniere's have had also facial numbness ?

My right cheek was a bit numb after the last vertigo for a week, the doctor did not really take any real comment about the feelings in my face. It was not numb for a few weeks after that but yesterday it came back.

OK, I might have MAV or acoustic neuroma, I do not know. I will talk to the doctor again next week about this facial numbness.

What else, oh yes I have had herpes in my lips so that might have gone to the ear.
    But buzzing on/off, lightheadedness and little dizziness (without vertigo or without "balance attack") I have had for years, perhaps over a decade.

Best regards,
    Rieska

2. Rieska

Rieska New Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Hello,

Oh yes, I forgot to mention.
    After the first "balance attack" doctors noticed slight nystagmus in my right eye with tests with frenzell's goggles. Also feeling pressure in the ear is not uncommon for me, sometimes the ear is "popping". So with these I also agree with the doctor that I might have Merniere's. There is propably a lot more I forgot to mention. My left ear is not perfectly healthy either but all symptoms and weirdnessess in that ear is in a way lower magnitude.

The facial numbness is just something not necessarily agreeing as Merniere here. But as said, I will also talk to the doctor next week and perhaps ask for more tests.

Br,
    Rieska

3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    We are not doctors to tell you what you have, but for everything you say you would need an MRI to start ruling out the most serious and urgent; after that you would have to keep trying until you find something that works for you.

Obviously nothing prevents you from starting to test and rule things out while medical tests arrive. In the web database you can see things that have worked for other users, I suppose you already saw it because you mention herpes. Normally if you are not very bad I would say try the JOH regimen with monolaurin and vitamin B; but since you seem to be quite bad I would recommend you to try the antivirals directly and if cyclovir does not work, try vanaciclovir because there are users that only one of them worked for them. In the database you have more information and opinions of users who take them.

On the other hand, although it is not the direct cause, stress, tension and nerves can greatly aggravate your symptoms. Try to learn to relax and if you can, find a cranial osteopath and examine you; The more I read about it, the more cases I find of "meniere" that were cured or relieved by an osteopath as they were caused by cervical and cranial tension.

Much encouragement and luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Have you had an mri to rule out acoustic neuroma? You need to Do that if you have not. An acoustic neuroma is not all that rare and if you have one it needs to be addressed asap. i had one. You need to make sure you know what is going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rieska

Rieska New Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Hello,

Thank you for all your replies.
    Sorry for late reply, I wanted to wait until MRI.
    I had MRI yesterday and got the results today, thankfully it was clean.

My cheek has feeling, and is not drooping, it is just a bit numb, but not everyday.

I do not know can I describe this clearly in English but we talked with the doctor that it might be just that my body is so sensitive that dealing with different situations it might occur in these weird feelings. I remember some years back my whole back was tingling a lot in warm shower, when packing shopping backs at grocery store when "starting to sweat" on bike rides...etc...

Also to mention I am super sensitive to smells and chemicals, I have used only kids shower soap and toothpaste for years because the adult versions gives me burning or smart sensations. Also I cannot use any fabric softener in washing machine for the clothes and only odorless detergent.

Damp or Mold/rotten buildings cause all sorts of symptoms, pressure in chest, neck stiffness, headache the following days, dizziness when in the building, and the worst symptom has honestly been diarrhea for two days, that was terrible. And in our country there is a lot of damp issues in buildings.

So, as so far my doctor is agreeing with the symptoms as Meniere for the vertigo/balance issues and I'll continue try to take care of that.

I have tired to learn to relax more during the past year and personally currently I do not feel stressed, though before christmas/early spring was very stressful and poor sleep for a long time from other reasons than health issues and that might have still have something that my body has not recovered.

Br,
    Rieska