1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New Meniere's Patient--Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by ctgibs, Aug 2, 2014.

1. ctgibs

ctgibs New Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Are others bothered by loud, sudden noises, especially when going through a series of attacks? How do you cope with this? I have two young children and they are loud! Is there an ear plug I could wear?

2. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I sometimes use those wax earplugs they sell at the pharmacy for children swimming. I've tried others but the wax ones work the best for me.

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I too am noise sensitive, which is also a symptom of MAV. I do not have children but I do something that might sound odd and weird and also funny. I put on ear muffs, even in my house and for some reason its soothing especially when my tinnitus is off the charts.

4. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I always have ear plugs with me and on days where the noises make me the hurt, I put them in. Surprisingly, I have less issues now since I started wearing a hearing aid. (Weird because I would think that hearing better would make it worse, but it does not for me...it is better.)

5. valsc0508

valsc0508 New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I was noise sensitive also with two loud children. I read that you shouldn't overuse ear plugs when you have hyperacusis. So I only used them in some situations. I became more used to it over time. And eventually I stopped being bothered by it. The less I thought about it and worried about it, the better it got.

6. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    My niece & nephew are loud, boisterous balls of blond adorable. They're essentially walking megaphones, & she's just starting to enter the I-am-protagonist-hear-my-cacophony stage.

However their volume turns to silence as soon as we start making balloon animals. (planetary mobiles works well too)

Is there anything which requires a certain level of concentration on their behalf which you can unleash when you're needing lower levels of volume?