1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.
Vicki

New Surgery For Meniere's - Endolymphatic Duct Blockage (EBD)

Study/Paper Cited (optional):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25403881
  1. VikingMan

VikingMan Guest

Am I reading that right? 96% had no more vertigo at 2 years? That's like laby level efficacy numbers, isn't it? That is amazing. Where is this surgery being done?

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

It's being done in Canada, I am not sure if its being done anywhere else atm.

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    This is a great post Vicki thanks for sharing. It gives hope to anyone suffering from vertigo. We need to know that the medical field is working on our behalf!

4. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Vicki

You are indeed a
    Treasure!!!

Thank you

5. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Dr Hains mentions this new treamtnet for MM on his site under New treatments

•Endolymphatic Duct Blockage. Salibra and others (2014) reported that EDB resulted in 96.5% complete control of vertigo spells, with no adverse effects. Comment: Sounds wonderful -- but we would like to see this result replicated.

I am wondering since Dr Hains is aware of it if anyone in the USA is doing it. I just might call the Dr that developed the surgery next week and find out and let you all know.

The Abstract is my first post in this thread or refer to:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25403881

6. Michaelmusicianwithmenier

Michaelmusicianwithmenier New Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Great info Vicki!! It shows that there are positive steps bringing taken to end this disease. Where do you find all your info?

7. Michaelmusicianwithmenier

Michaelmusicianwithmenier New Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I forgot to thank you for all your time devoted to this. You are definitely a hero!

8. Vicki

Vicki Guest

aww thank you Michael, I work on the pc from early morning til evening (I have online pet boutiques and run and host gaming servers)
    When I take breaks from my work, it helps me to relax to search about Meniere's, my food allergies and other things I am suffering with.
    I have quite a few uncommon health issues. I tend to get illnesses with unknown causes and cures :(
    I have always loved learning, I tutored for 21 years. I don't like not knowing things LOL its a force that has always driven me to seek out information.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vicki

Vicki Guest

^edit: I meant to type.. I tend to get illnesses with unknown causes and unknown cures :(

10. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Here is his contact information for those interested.

Theme: Neuroscience

[email protected]

Voice:
    514 890-8000 ext. 14338

Fax:
    514 412-7246

Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Montreal
    Surgeon, Division of Otorhinolaryngology, CHUM
    Keywords
    Otology, neurotology, ototoxicity, otosclerosis, otospongiosis, tympanoplasty, cholesteatoma, hypoacousis, inner ear cells, bilateral caloric simultaneous stimulation of the vestibular system, superior semicircular canal dehiscence, vestibular schwannoma, Ménière disease.

Research Interests
    1) Development of a new technique to repair tympanic membrane perforation, performed under a local anesthesia in the office of the outpatient department: "Hyaluronic Acid Fat Graft Myringoplasty" (HAFGM);
    2) Put into practice a new test "Bilateral simultaneous caloric test" to determine the function of the superior semicircular canal;
    3) Prevention of cisplatin ototoxicity in patient treated by chemotherapy for cancer;
    4) Development of a new ossicular replacement prosthesis, optimal in the rehabilitation of moderate to severe hearing loss like in the case of advanced otosclerosis;
    5) Development of a new treatment for Ménière disease.

Publications
    Publications indexed on PubMed

• ENT Surgeon, Otology & Neurotology, CHU Sainte-Justine and Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont;
    • Associate Member, Research Centre, CHU Sainte-Justine;

11. vitolony

vitolony Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I was doing some research the other day and came across this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrk7OyAB_ss

About 2/3's of the way through the video, the speaker talks about "Endolymphatic Duct Blockage" surgery and an interesting animation is given for the surgery. I don't know if they are talking about the same thing as what the study you posted Vicki is referring to, but they are certainly called the same thing. This was from an ENT in Virginia, here in the states! A Dr. Christopher Chang. I'm assuming that since the procedure is talked about in their video that they are actually performing the surgery, though that is an assumption. If they aren't performing it, then I imagine they would know who is.

Here is his website.

http://www.fauquierent.net/

I'm not ready to go nuclear on this disease just yet, or I might call them myself and ask if they are actually performing this surgery and what their statistics are with it. Anyone interested might give them a call and ask...

12. Vicki

Vicki Guest

wow that is the EDB surgery he referred to. Great find!!

13. Vicki

Vicki Guest

yah when you call makes sure they verify its the new surgery developed by Dr Saliba In Canada.

14. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    ^^^^ very true

Nice video but I believe the rupture theory about mixing fluids has been disproven. The focus is now on the valve of Bath.

According to an email I received from Dr. A he knows of no o
    Dr's in USA performing his surgery as his breakthrough and paper was just released a few months ago.

I could be wrong and if I am I apologize.

Very interesting that's for sure.

15. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    Sorry I meant Dr. S

16. vitolony

vitolony Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Do you have any resources where I could learn about this? I'd be very interested in knowing more. The only explanation I've ever heard regarding the physical mechanism is the rupture theory and the endolymph rushing out due to it being over pressurized thus causing the vertigo.

17. Vicki

Vicki Guest

For anyone who wants here is the full study I purchased:

download it and save it, it is a pdf file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6233450/saliba%20surgery.pdf

18. serbian

serbian Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Many thanks Vicki!

19. Vicki

Vicki Guest

my pleasure :)

20. GLA

GLA Member

May 12, 2014
    I'd also like to read more about this. Thanks in advance, Bulldogs.