1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.
Vicki

New Surgery For Meniere's - Endolymphatic Duct Blockage (EBD)

Study/Paper Cited (optional):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25403881
  1. mtjbob

mtjbob New Member

May 13, 2016
    Just a brief follow up. I am one week post surgery. I feel better every morning, but by mid - late afternoon the pain and lightheadedness set back in. I guess it will be weeks or months before I am back to myself. Most challenging pain comes from the jaw which has inflammation and restricts movement. No pain from the surgery site at all. Not a drop of any liquid from the incisions. Hearing is very very muted still, worse than pre surgery, but that was expected... It may take 6 or more weeks to get better.

Tomorrow I have to gather myself up to go to the hospital for a hearing test. Part of the program... Will see the doctor right after.

No pain that Tylenol couldn't conquer, so thankful for that.

Eating three squares a day, but lots of chopped and easy to chew stuff.

Will follow up again in a few days.

For those that want more research, my doctor did a second study that was published in 2016. A bit harder to locate online, but discoverable in full free of charge.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    If you have the link for the second study published can you please share it with us?

3. mtjbob

mtjbob New Member

May 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2021
  4. mtjbob

mtjbob New Member

May 13, 2016
    My follow up post is being moderated... I guess because it includes a link. If it does not show up, and is permitted by the rules I will point people in the correct direction.

Cheers.

5. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016

6. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Please do.

7. mtjbob

mtjbob New Member

May 13, 2016
    Almost two months now. Can't say that I am feeling "great" but I have definitely improved. My hearing is coming back slowly as the fluids in the middle ear are resolving. I have other ear issues with overlapping symptoms, so still trying to sort out the differences. I am following up today because I, like Marta, felt like I was having an attack. No vertigo, but ear and head pressure. I also felt my eyes "slipping" slightly as if vertigo might happen. It started a couple of days ago, and tonight it was at its worst. Took some Valium and it helped. No vertigo. Definitely feel crappy though. I know the success of the surgery cannot be judged for at least 6 months. As long as there in no vertigo, and I become confident in that, I can learn to live with these "off" periods.

My doctor is quite sure that there is a migraine component, and I am inclined to believe him. My whole head is buzzing on my bad days. On the good days the fullness is less, but always there to some degree. Could also come from my dehiscence as could the migraines.

Next year I may have MFC surgery to repair that. Oh, the joy... Lol

Will post again in another month.

Cheers

8. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    No vertigo yay! To me it meant everything. I hope you continue to feel better. All the best :)