1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New to the forum with labyrinthectomy questions

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Saera, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I had a BAHA (bone-anchored-hearing-aid) implant. It performs essentially the same function as the crossover hearing aids Mustang1 mentioned above, but the device is not in your ear. The device is basically a microphone to pick up sound on your deaf side and transmit vibrations through your skull that are picked up by your good ear for processing. It's like when you have a hearing test and they put the device behind your ear to test bone conduction. The two major companies offering the device are Cochlear and Oticon. When I asked about it at Mayo, the audiologist gave me a headband for each company to try out which sounded best to me. They're pretty similar, but individuals may prefer one over the other.

I have mixed feelings about the BAHA. It does not manipulate sound as well as some hearing aids, and it's not good sound quality for music. It's valuable, however, when it is connected via bluetooth directly to the TV for listening to news, TV shows, etc. With the bluetooth connection the sound goes directly to the skull without distortion from going through air, and it improves word recognition. My biggest reservation about it is that it is significant invasive surgery (hole drilled into skull), and I still feel occasional sensitivity around the implant. It's fully healed, but I think laying that side on the pillow may sometimes add a slight pressure that reminds me my skull is not completely intact. I tried CROS hearing aids prior to laby surgery but couldn't get a good fit and didn't like putting a hearing aid (basically a receiver matched to the mic in the bad ear) in to block my good ear. I chose to have the BAHA implanted at the same time as my laby so that it would be one surgical recovery instead of two. Knowing what I do now, I'm on the fence about whether I would do it again. PleaseNoDizzy also got a BAHA along with her laby, and she may have other thoughts about it.

I think it is helpful to get either CROS hearing aids or a BAHA when you've had a laby or when your hearing on the affected side has become mostly useless. Try the CROS first; you can always do a BAHA later. But don't expect the BAHA to give great advantage over the CROS. The primary benefit of either approach is that "head shadow" is eliminated. That means your head is not blocking sounds on your bad side from being picked up on your good side. In a social situation it means you can hear and converse with someone seated on your deaf side without having to turn your head backwards. I find that very worthwhile.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Yeah knowing what I know now I don’t know if I’d get the BAHA again. I don’t love it like I thought I would. Prior to my hearing getting super bad (pre laby) with distortion, the loss was significant and after a couple years of putting off the suggestions of my neuro-oto and ENT husband, I finally got a Widex (traditional aid) and fell in love. It made all the difference in the world for the year I was able to use it. Not only was hearing drastically improved, but the terrible fullness was almost gone and tinnitus greatly reduced. I had high hopes for the Baha but unfortunately it hasn’t been great. I wear the receiver usually when in social situations as it does help a tiny bit with hearing someone on my right side, in noisy environments, but generally it isn’t a game changer. And I still hate the feedback noises when you touch it accidentally, like lying on the couch or whatnot. I haven’t tried the tv/Bluetooth attachment but that might be nice. I have the tv probably up a notch or two from what normal hearing people. Even though that’s how my husband watches loud sports events, I know it’s a bit much for everything else.

And mine too is a bit sensitive even though fully healed. Lying on that side is ok but not totally comfortable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I have had teo cros aides and thrown them both away. But that is just me.

4. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    FYI- My hearing aids are Siemens Signia Pure Charge & Go 7Nx. I can set several different profiles from my phone or from either device. I can also adjust the volume from my bad ear to the good ear from the app.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Using the bluetooth connection to the TV lets you hear well and adjust your own volume while keeping the TV as quiet as anyone else in the room wishes. It's kind of fun because you can hear it as far as bluetooth reaches, even in another room with doors closed. Makes for some fun when you enter the room and have people believing you are clairvoyant.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I had a laby in 2013 on my right side and don't regret it one bit! it gave me my life back for several years. currently I am experiencing cochlear hydrops in my left ear, but antivirals are helping somewhat. As @June says: two steps forward one step back. Anyway, recovery from the laby wasn't too bad. I remember the first time waking up after the surgery was really weird as I didn't know what end was up, but that went away quickly. my anesthesiologist applied a scopolamine patch pre surgery, which I think helped. Although light headed and generally confused, recovery was ok--lots of walking is most helpful! Best thing...NO vertigo and NO drop attacks! I had both pre surgery--vertigo for 9 years and drops just prior to surgery, which led to my decision. I don't regret my decision at all to get the laby and I wish you the best of luck should you proceed! Feel free to PM if you have any questions!

Take care,
    Kevin

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1