1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Newly Diagnosed- Learning and Confused

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MSmith, Aug 2, 2020.

1. MSmith

MSmith New Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I have recently been diagnosed. I have had vertigo issues off and on for years but was able to maintain them. Two weeks ago, began experiencing the pressure and fullness in my ears, ringing/echoing, and had two days of vertigo attacks that resulted in about two hours each day of not being able to function because of the vertigo. I was given steroids and diuretic and started working on the low sodium.

My getting better is inconsistent. My ears feel better, then worse. The fullness goes away and then randomly comes back. Is that typical? I have not had any more big vertigo spells but small ones each day since the big attacks. I’m trying to learn about the disease and learn how to manage but I feel very overwhelmed and scared. One minute I feel like things are better and the next worse without really a reason.

I feel like I went from functioning normally with occasional vertigo to now struggling each day. Is this how the disease started for others? Just looking for insight and advice for beginners to ease some anxiety.

2. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I have had it for 19 years but the big vertigo attacks only started last year. Mine did not start like yours, but is now similar to yours.
    I can go a few months with on and off vertigo of varying degrees, then several months of near perfect.
    That's just the way it is. Constant ringing, intermittent hyperacusis and deafness, etc. All not much fun, but it is what it is.
    I find moderate drinking helps, but just recently went on the wagon for a while.
    I just can't drink all the time, and I no longer enjoy it.
    I currently take no medication for Meniere's.

Jim

3. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Yes, what you describe sounds about right. I would encourage you to read the database potion of this forum. Read, read, read. Start JOH regime. Look into antivirals/Dr Gacek. Look in to MAV. Search these topics. Those are the things that people have found to help them. If those few things don’t help you can go a destructive surgical route. Many people come here desperate and find things that help, they get on with their lives and don’t come here often anymore. There are many excellent threads with fantastic advice in them here. Good luck!

4. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've had the fullness and deafness on and off in my left ear for 20 years but have just started experiencing the vertigo. I have had two full blown episodes with vomiting and the works. Totally unable to function for over an hour. But I'm also having days where I'm just walking around in a daze like my head is full of water. I lurch. And the whole time I'm worried it will go to the full blown thing, and at the worst time. I'm taking dramamine and that seems to help hold off the big one but not the general dizziness. But how can I even be sure of that? I'm off alcohol, salt, and I guess as much sugar as possible to seee if it helps. A drink I had last night triggered my second really bad episode. This really sucks!!!!