1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Nystagmus and tinnitus

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Linda Lou, May 13, 2014.

1. Linda Lou

Linda Lou Diagnosed with Meniere's in March 2014

May 13, 2014
    Pasadena, CA
    Hi, all --

This is my first post. I was diagnosed with Meniere's in March but have been having problems for months. When I have a big episode, my eyes twitch to the left accompanied by a loud, low whooshing in my ear that sounds like the light sabers in Star Wars. Strange! Is that at all common? Also, I had one episode in February when I walked to the kitchen in the middle of the night and all of a sudden couldn't stand up. I had to crawl to bed. Yuck! This is a strange disorder. :-\

2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    " Yuck! This is a strange disorder." - you got that part right! No more middle of the night snacks for you!

3. Chrisk

Chrisk Member

May 12, 2014
    The eye thing (Nystagmus) is very common in MM, in fact, it's used in the detection of MM via the Videonystagmography (VNG) test. When the brain receives signals from the ears that the head is spinning the eyes try and counter the spin.

We all perceive our tinnitus differently, some describe it like you have. Mine comes and goes but is usually far more bothersome during an attack, even though I've had a VNS the attacks still occur, the spinning signal just can't get to my brain. But tinnitus is common in MM as well. Without these two symptoms I'd be hard press to consider the ailment MM.

4. Linda Lou

Linda Lou Diagnosed with Meniere's in March 2014

May 13, 2014
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks to you both. It's good to know that this problem is one I can chalk up to Meniere's. Annoying, but -- thank God -- not fatal! At first the neurologist thought I had an acoustic neuroma or a tumor or stroke in my cerebellum. I'll take Meniere's over either of those in a heartbeat!