1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Otonomy Inc - Otividex

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mac, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Good evening everyone,

Otonomy Inc announced today very strong results for their Menieres drug Otividex in their phase 3 trial in Europe. As many of you may know... their phase 3 in the US did not achieve strong results.

For anyone who has ever had success using steroids to treat Menieres...this is amazing news.

Rather than have steroid shot that stays in the inner ear for 30-60 minutes...this new drug turns into a gel and stays inn your ear for 3-4 months. It really is a game changer.

I implore all of you who believe you may get benefit from this to reach out to the FDA and let them know that there is currently no approved drug for Menieres. This is by NO means a cure but it may well help many people with their symptoms and we all know that is this helps just one person...it is worth it.

My fear is that the FDA may make them re-do their US trial...That would only delay the release. Which unfortunately would lead to more people not having options for treatment.

I will be writing my letter to Dr. Scott Gottleib (FDA commish) this weekend. I have written two letters before. I got responses both times. They hear you when you reach out.

The more they hear from us the more attention this disease gets. Hopefully this drug can help some of us. Hope you all have a great night.

2. I WAS excited about this when they did the failed US trial. While I'm sure this method may be great/life changing for some, I'm closely related to someone who was in the trial. They know they received the medication, and it didn't do anything. :-\
    Props for bringing up another potential treatment/news on it though, as we all like to stay abreast of the latest treatments and availability. If we all look long and hard enough, something will come around eventually, right?! ;D

3. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Autumn,

I agree...I think we all know that this disease is not a one size fits all cure. For some...Valtrex is a game changer. For others, it does nothing. For many JOH is amazing. For others it does nothing. Same is true with Chiropractors, TMJ, allergy and diet changes. We all have different symptoms so I am not sure there will ever be a "cure."

I am 38. I have had MM for 10 years. I am completely deaf in my right ear and have permanent vestibular issues. I had a shunt placed last October. It didn't work. I am way past a steroid shot doing anything.

However, I believe this is bigger than that. I am writing a letter to the FDA for people I have never met. It may help them. I know early on...steroids were helpful for me. That changed as the disease progressed.

95 percent of the people I meet in my life have never heard of MM...you think thats any different at the FDA? do you think people wake up everyday at the FDA saying...boy we really need to cure MM? The answer is obviously no.

I think we as a group need to take this opportunity to make our voices heard. Write a letter to the FDA explaining what MM is and how its changed your life. How its changed your families life. If you don't believe in this particular drug...don't mention it. This is a rare opportunity where MM is actually getting some press coverage.

There is and old saying..."The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

I think this is a great chance for us to make some noise in DC. If not for you...for someone you may never meet.

4. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I'm curious as to why they had good results in Europe but not the U.S. Here is the press release:

http://investors.otonomy.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=234082&p=irol-newsArticle_Print&ID=2315557

5. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I wonder where in Europe. Lots of different standards there, depending on western bloc, eastern bloc, etc.

6. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    One month before my surgery ( September 2016) I got a phone call form an ENT form my hospital inviting me to take part in the trial of this new drug. I refused as steroid injections did not help me at all. However I do believe there are people who can benefit form this drug.

7. Mac,

Seems I offended you unintentionally, mostly because a)I was really only responding to the first part of what you wrote, as I did NOT read carefully enough and b)because I shouldn’t have tried to respond to your post so late at night! Bad move! For the record, I think being an activist regarding this disease is ALWAYS worthwhile. I support you. I support people trying any method they deem fit to fight this disease. Also, I only meant I wasn’t as excited as I was initially when it was explained to my family member. My supposedly good ear doesn’t seem to be doing well anymore. I’ll try steroid injections, and I’d try the experimental one too, before I’d have another surgical labyrinthectomy!

8. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Hey Autumn,

Ha. No offense here. I am here to support everyone! It’s all good on my end. I do believe strongly that MM gets no respect in the world of research. Remember it’s all about money. If researchers see the FDA approve this drug and watch Otonomy turn a profit... hopefully that will inspire more researchers to solve inner ear disorders.

I am so sorry to hear about your good ear. Hoping it is just a bump in the raid. Keep your head up!! Who knows maybe this steroid gel could help that ear!! Never know

9. johns

johns New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    I'm agree with you Mac. Squeaky wheels get greased. No need to even cite the negative aspect of how some of the abhorrent personalities that bubble to the top in politics just because they are so darn squeaky. I sent Dr. Gotleib an old fashioned paper letter. I even lifted some of your language. Thanks for the suggestion.

I got steroid shots from Dr. Hammerschlag in NYC and after they made the vertigo worse for a while I seem to not get the crippling, horrible, nasty, stay in bed for 3 days kind of vertigo I used to. But my hearing got worse and stayed worse after the shots. It used to fluctuate. Now all I hear out of my bad ear if someone tries to talk to me from that side is Alvin and the chipmunks far off in the distance :)

I am now a big fan of the EDB (Endolymphatic Duct Blockage) surgery and trying to find someone in the NYC area who will do it. But absent that if Otividex was approved I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for your post.

10. hebejoy

hebejoy New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Hi this is Hebe. I live in New York and had the EDB surgery in April 2016 (about 19 months ago).

Marta let me know that someone posted this: "I am now a big fan of the EDB (Endolymphatic Duct Blockage) surgery and trying to find someone in the NYC area who will do it."

I was in a very bad way prior to surgery. Have had Meniere's for about 10 years now and have had my share of terrible attacks. (I used to keep track of them, rating them 1-10 for how awful they were !!. Then they just got worse and more often so I gave up). Steroids worked for me over the years for the first 2 or 3 times, but then they were not helping at all and now I react really badly to them so no more for me.

Around March 2016 I was getting really bad. Nothing was working and I could get no relief. I was desperate. My doctor and I had talked often about options and I finally said I was ready for surgery. At that time the EDB version was quite new. The 3 versions I was given were decompression of the endolymphatic sac; a shunt; and now the clipping of the duct (EDB). I read what I could and, even though my doctor had never done this version before, I opted for it. The research showed good results and I was ready to jump in.

The Surgery was easy. I have been with Dr. George Alexiades (Weill Cornell) for many many years and he is a competent surgeon. Everything went well and I slowly regained my confidence and thought I was ready for life again. I don't know what happened or why, but this summer I started to get vertigo symptoms again. This was 14 months after my EDB surgery. I used to start with getting fullness in the ear and then the engines started roaring. Starting like a car engine and getting louder to a jet engine, I knew I was going to have an attack. Now, however, there was no fullness - the duct to the sac was clipped so there was no fluid buildup in the endolymphatic sac - makes sense - but the my other premonitions were accurate. I went to see Dr Alexiades and I went on steroids (a big mistake) and then it happened. In June (2017) I had a really bad attack (about 12 on my scale of 1-10 !!). I was so depressed and SO VERY disappointed.
    I couldn't shake it either. Six weeks later I went to the doctor again and said I thought another attack was imminent. He thought not as it was 6 weeks from my big attack. But I was right and 4 days later it happened again (about a 5 on my scale this time, but it happened).

I am not saying that the EDB surgery was not successful, and it gave me huge relief at the time. But I do know it is not a complete cure.

I have been on hydrochlorothiazide (water pill) 25 mg daily since 2009 and was hoping to wean off this. After the 1 year of surgery I got down to 4 a week. I am now back to one a day and will be forever I expect.
    In 2014 I started on Betahistine after some nasty attacks. I was on 3 a day (16mg) originally then was taking 2 a day through the years. After 1 year of surgery I went to one a day then stopped. I am now back on 2 a day and will stay that way for fear of more attacks.
    Maybe I should have stayed on these drugs and not stopped them - maybe that was why I had attacks after surgery. I will not stop taking them again unless someone comes up with a really good alternative.
    I read about cranial osteopathy and have now been trying that for a few months - not sure how much it is helping.

Maybe this is it for me. Staying stable and always staying aware of the monster that lurks.
    Of course, I still have the tinnitus and the hearing in that ear is worse. I will look into getting a hearing aid at some stage.
    For now I am back to day-to-day.

We all know that everyone's story is different. I hope this helps someone.
    I am happy to share any more details that you want to know about the surgery or anything else.
    Anyone is welcome to contact me directly at [email protected]

ALL THE BEST TO all of you out there whose life gets rocky sometimes.

11. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Surgery and/or steroids can definitely work for some, but the only problem is that it does not treat the underlying cause, and it cannot stop someone from going bilateral. If, and i recognize this is a big if, the underlying cause is viral related, then surgery only treats the symptoms and not the root cause.

12. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    John,

Good man writing the letter. I have my entire immediate family writing one as well. I may ask a few close friends to join the cause.

This is not about this drug...or any other drug for that matter. It's about making our voices heard. They don't know our stories or our struggles. If you google MM...it really doesn't sound that bad.

Who knows...Maybe this leads to a more effective antiviral medication... Maybe it leads to a more effective surgery... Maybe it leads to nothing.

Worst case scenario...MM will be on the radar in Washington DC...and that my friends is long overdue.

Hope all of you have a great day!

13. Okay, I’ll just plead dumb. :) Please spell it out for those of us who aren’t as quick as you?

1)EXACTLY WHO do you want letter addressed??
    2)Address??
    3)what content do you think should be in the letter?

So, maybe PM me??? I like things spelled out so I don’t screw them up.

14. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    attn // Dr Scott Gottleib - FDA commissioner

Food and Drug Administration
    10903 New Hampshire Drive
    Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002

Just tell them your story. Tell them how few options you have as someone diagnosed with MM. In fact... there is still not 1 approved drug for MM. It was discovered in the 1860's. Many of the surgeries we have are over 50 years old. Some are almost barbaric in nature.

The FDA needs to know what we go through. What our families go through. In my opinion...they have no clue. Its up to us to let them know.

Hopefully the more noise we make...the more research gets done. The less noise we make... the more content they think we are with the stars quo. In fact...if you google MM - it basically says most cases can be easily managed through a low salt diet and lifestyle changes...This is what people read and subsequently think.

It is up to us to let them know what really goes on for many of us.

Thanks!!

15. AWESOME
    Just didn’t know if we could do things like that in the forum, honestly, hence PM request.

16. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Autumn,

My bad! I am no the sharpest stick...lol

Have a great night!

17. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Hebe
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It should be helpful for those who are considering the surgery. She here is always pros and cons. I hope you find your remedy. Stay well!

18. Sorry Mac,
    I only JUST read this. Haven’t been on much/not trusting myself to respond without enough O2 LOL

(I tend to be too cautious, but that’s because I can’t always remember all the rules without rereading) :D

19. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Pretty great research going on at Stamford. If you have a moment watch the video (below). One of the lead scientists mentions that hearing loss research lacks funding because they have no voice in DC. As he refers to it...they have no lobby.

They are hoping to cure hearing loss in 10 years. So awesome that they are working for us. Lets keep making our voices heard.

https://hearinglosscure.stanford.edu

20. johns

johns New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Hey Mac,
    I got this reply, to my letter, from the FDA. Thought you (and others) might be interested. It doesn't say much but its nice to know someone up there (over there) is saying the words "Meniere's Disease". BTW: Does anybody remember why we sometimes call Meniere's Disease "MM" and not always "MD"?

This is in response to your November 9, 2017, letter to Dr. Scott Gottlieb, Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), requesting the FDA to approve Otividex (OTO-104) for the treatment of Meniere’s disease as soon as possible. Your letter was forwarded to the Division of Drug Information in FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) for a response.

Thank you for writing and expressing your concerns. We appreciate your desire to have new drugs approved as fast as possible to treat Meniere’s disease and are acutely aware the impact this disease has on a person’s quality of life. However, please understand that information about an investigational drug or an application under review is considered confidential and can only be disclosed to (or by) the drug sponsor as per regulations (see 21 CFR 312.130 and 21 CFR 314.430, respectively). These citations are federal regulations that do not allow us to release information for any product that is not approved by FDA.

FDA's mission is to ensure that products approved for human use are not only effective but safe. We recognize the importance of the development of novel and promising new therapies for diseases for which current treatment is unsatisfactory. Although the Agency cannot provide a definitive timeline for approval of these new therapies, FDA scientists are committed to continuing to work closely with all sponsors developing promising new therapies to help meet serious unmet medical needs.

Thank you, again, for writing.

Sincerely,

/s/
    Donald Dobbs
    Division of Drug Information
    Office of Communications
    Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
    Food and Drug Administration