1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Possible MM?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by antibus, May 3, 2021.

1. antibus

antibus New Member

May 3, 2021
    Actually, I don't know if my hearing fluctuates or if I just have this feeling because of anxiety or something. I'm actually a hypochondriac, which you probably already guessed by now. Sometimes it seems more noticeable. Btw. I only notice it when I "close" the unaffected ear.

I definitely still don't hear as good as in the other ear. So, I'm wondering if I should again go to the ENT or just wait for a couple of days/weeks as it might still be the healing process about 14 days after the SSHL?

So, the strange thing is, the fullness is in the left ear but SSHL was in the right ear. Does this mean, I'm one of the lucky guys who have it in both ears even from the beginning? My ENT on the other hand told me, the ear fullness is very likely from neck problems which definitely have and I'm in the process of checking this out. But still I'm afraid I have MM even in both ears!

2. antibus

antibus New Member

May 3, 2021
    Actually I read that Labyrinthitis has similar symptoms as MM with the only difference that the SSHL is in the high frequencies. Is this always the case? Doesn't this rule out Labyrinthitis as causing factor for me as my SSHL was low pitch 120 and 250Hz?

3. antibus

antibus New Member

May 3, 2021
    Can I have Labyrinthitis without vertigo I am wondering. I am actually now at the point that I think I have MM. I still have fluctuating hearing loss in right ear (tested with tone generator). And ear fullness in the left ear. Does this mean I likely have MM in both ears?

Or what else can cause fluctuating hearing loss?

4. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    My ENT would not "officially" diagnose me with meniers until I actually experienced vertigo. So I went years with all the symptoms but vertigo. I was pretty sure I had Meniers but was just lucky not to have the worst of it. Till that changed... lucky me. As already mentioned in this thread, there are many other things that can cause the hearing loss we are talking about. I was a scuba diver from the time I was 14 and ruptured my left eardrum a number of times diving. One theory for my fluctuating hearing loss was that I had damaged my inner ear or maybe bent the eustachian tube. Allergies were another possible contributing factor. Meniers is still a mystery to the doctors so the best we can do is experiment with the various medications and find the triggers to avoid.