1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Post Labyrinthectomy - daily progress journal

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Blakeh, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 5

Another good start to the morning. Coffee with caffeine ;)

Ear tinnitus gives the same loud cracking and popping. Ear pain is the same 2-3 out of 10.

Continuing to take Tylenol and ibuprofen along with Zofran.

I have a airex balance pad I’m standing on to help with balance. My father in law is a physical therapist so he is helping me. I will officially start physical therapy after my two week post op doctor appointment.

I went out and walked again today, felt a little better and was able to go outside and talk with a friend for about 30 minutes.

Overall I feel much better than I anticipated.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    @Blakeh, you seem to be tracking well with what I remember from my recovery in 2013 (although I had the additional complication of a cerebral spinal fluid leak, which needed to be patched). Great stuff, and keep it coming! Wishing you the best.

Kevin

3. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Bam !!!!!you did it Blake

life will be normal in 2 or 3 weeks with no issues and mm will forever be gone. No more anxiety about this crap.

walk walk walk
    Also perfectly normal for the ear to feel like that. Lot of swelling and healing going on.

Give it two weeks and it will all feel normal with hopefully no tinnitus as you progress or very little Tinnitus to where you don’t notice it. All that pressure/Hypercisis ect….gone forever soon

Joe

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Joe,

Thanks so much, and that’s exactly what I want to hear. Thank you.

Blake

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 6

Woke up feeling noticeably better (more balanced).

In the morning I went for my longest walk, probably 15 minutes. Overall it felt really good.

I added doing some exercises on the airex pad, just stepping up and down and turning my head left to right, down and up while standing on pad.

I live in NYC and walked to lunch with my wife and sat down at a restaurant. Which was great considering prior to surgery I had not left the house in a month.

Several breaks were needed on the way to and from the restaurant. I assume its a lot for my brain to process. I laid down for about two hours after lunch.

After hearing how bad recovery was for many others, I’m feeling much better than I anticipated.

I have practically no pain in my ear, it definitely feels like something was done to my ear, but I don’t feel pain.

The loud tinnitus is still present with loud, strange popping and cracking.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks, Kevin. I really appreciate it. I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Another step forward! You are doing great. Keep up the good work and great attitude.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Blaked, until you had the surgery I think you were taking Serc, correct? After the surgery do you keep some medication for meniere's disease?

9. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    @redwing1951

Thank you. I’m happy with how everything is going. I appreciate all the support.

10. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I have taken just about every pill or potion for Menieres. By the time the surgery was scheduled I was only taking antivirals and that was just because I had them.

I have stopped taking the antivirals after the surgery.

I do plan on taking basic vitamins for health.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    The ear you had surgery on, how was the hearing before you had the surgery? How do you feel after having the surgery to have lost hearing completely from that ear? Does not being able to hear completely from that ear bother you? In the ear that you don't have Meniere, can you hear 100%?

12. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 7

Woke up feeling good again, just a little off balance.

After a few cups of coffee, I went on a morning walk for about 15 minutes.

This afternoon I went on a second walk.

My ear pain is minimal. The loud tinnitus with cracking and popping persist but that’s nothing I’m worried about.

This is my 7th post, after today I will stop the daily updates and check back in one week. I do feel much better 7 days post surgery than I did before I had the surgery. That is very promising for me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Luis,

My hearing was tested again prior to surgery, and for all intents and purposes my hearing was nonexistent. I could hear sounds but not make out words.

Regarding my lack of hearing after the surgery, I do not really care. Before the surgery I was unemployable and unable to function normally. I'm just grateful to not be sick all the time and have a chance at living normally.

My right ear hearing will suffice as there is no deficit in my hearing from that ear.

• Like Like x 2
  14. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Great! Thanks for you feedback! I'm going to wait the news in 7 days! I will send good energy directly from Portugal this week! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Luis you sound like a really great person and hopefully a candidate for the laby. I am following you and hopeful that you too will be successful in getting the monkey off your back!

• Like Like x 2
  17. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Maybe I just don't know enough about this disease and I do want to stay positive but is there not a chance a patient can go bilateral after a labyrinthectomy? Assuming the viral neuropathy/issue etc is still in the body, can't it still travel through the nervous system to the other ear?

Either way I'm wishing all the best for Blake and so happy for the great recovery thus far.

18. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi,

Yes there is a chance Menieres could go to my other ear (bi lateral).

Although it has not done so yet, and it’s been about 8 years.

Blake

• Like Like x 1
  19. Qntario

Qntario Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Thanks for the updates! I'll hopefully be getting a Laby soon. Its great to hear you're doing so well. Did you do any gentamicin before the Laby? Your recovery is going fast!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi,

I skipped the gentamicin after researching on this forum. From
    what I have read, it does not give you the guarantee of no more vertigo. Several people ended up getting the laby after gentamicin so I decided not to waste my time and just go with the laby.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1