1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Post Labyrinthectomy - daily progress journal

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Blakeh, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Bingo!!!!!
    What Red Said ^^
    Congratulations Blake. Go out and enjoy your life….you slayed the beast.

The first thing I realized was I had no more anxiety about vertigo knowing it will never come again after my Laby 10 years ago and my energy returned to normal.

Enjoy your newfound freedom and normal life.

Joe/Bulldogs

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Luis, I am excited for you. It has changed my life so I’m sure it can change yours. Freedom is ahead. Keep us posted.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Thanks Blake! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks, Red! I’ve appreciated your support and cheering along the way!

5. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks, Joe. I could not be happier with how things turned out.

6. Beaux

Beaux New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Blake...thank you for the post-op feedback. I am working on my appointment to see the Surgeon and discuss Labrynthectomy. I am quite anxious about it, but spent part of my day reading your post-op journey. You are younger than me, but I am still thinking about moving forward with the surgery. You have really given me the motivation I needed. I am currently struggling with the residual dizziness and foggy head following my last vertigo attack and it is hard to see to type this post. It is taking me a few minutes to get this done. My journey has been like most others. No one knew why or what I was having initially (about 25 years ago). Diagnosed in 2007 and started on diuretics, Meclizine, low sodium diet, no ETOH or caffeine, etc... The vertigo attacks were mild and infrequent at first and increased over the years. Now the vertigo can last for hours and I cannot shut my eyes without vomiting or dry heaving. The anxiety is overwhelming as I wait for the next bad bout. The residual dizziness that follows and the fullness in my bad ear has really magnified and I am losing my quality of life...not able to drive and leaving the house has become difficult. The timing of it all has been the hardest...long story. Anyway, enough about me. Thank you. You have given me hope again. The kindness shown you on this page has restored my confidence. While I am blessed beyond measure, I would really love to have some quality of life again and I am now considering the next big move. I have run out of options. Tried steroid shots and Betahistine. Again...thank you and best wishes in your days, weeks, and months to come. Jim

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Jim,

I can relate 100% to your symptoms. I know exactly what that feels like. I’m sorry you are going through that.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Blake

• Like Like x 2
  8. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Hi Blake! How are you going? Tell us what are you feeling after a few month of making your Labrynthectomy. Regards!

9. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Luis,
    I am feeling like a new person. I feel completely normal, and am free to do (and eat) anything I want.

I could not be more pleased with the results. If anyone out there suffering with Menieres, there is a way out. My only regret is not doing the labyrinthectomy sooner.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Thanks for your answer Blake! Very happy for you :):):):)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Beaux

Beaux New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Good afternoon everyone. Soon to be a genuine member of this group. My Labrynthectomy is scheduled for 8 Feb 2022...two weeks from today. I am definitely nervous and the ole' second thoughts of doubt have been playing with my mind lately, but I am pressing on to finish this race. I hope to follow Blake's lead and share some post-op data as I am able. I have been dealing with Meniere's since 2007 and so ready to be free. Prayers and thoughts are appreciated and I thank you in advance. More to come in a couple of weeks. Jim

• Like Like x 1
  12. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Hello Jim! Good luck for you Labrynthectomy. Create a new post with you story and tell us your feedback after you Labrynthectomy! All the best! Luis

• Like Like x 1
  13. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Jim best of luck to you! I am pretty sure you not only will finish the race but will beat the beast! God bless.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hey Jim
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers.

Soon you will be living a normal life and mm will be forever a thing of the past.

Joe

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Jim, I’m excited and happy for you. Relief is soon to come. I am responding late to your post because I’m busy on vactation in Miami, smoking cigars, walking the town, eating whatever I please, taking runs in the morning after a few caffeine filled espressos. Obviously none of this would be possible if I didn’t have the surgery. It changed my life!
    Can’t wait to hear your progress!

Blake

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Jim, all the best to you! Keep us posted please

17. Beaux

Beaux New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes. One week away! I got excited when I filled my pill box today and realized no more diuretic or potassium after surgery. Wow! I have been living in a constant state of dehydration for many years and struggling these last few years with keeping my potassium level in the normal range. I will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Beaux

Beaux New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Well, tomorrow is the big day. Still waiting for my report time, but we are headed to New Orleans today since we live a couple hours away from the hospital. I do not think I have been more anxious about surgery...and I have already had one hip replaced (lol). I will post something when I can or have my wife take care of it for me. Prayers appreciated. Jim

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Beaux

Beaux New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Well, the surgery was yesterday. Went into it expecting the worst post-op experience but not as terrible as anticipated. Side of head and face swollen. Stayed in recovery most of the day waiting for a bed. I have a few moments here and there with pain in ear and surrounding tissue. No nausea thus far. Dizziness with any movement especially turning head. Walked from gurney to bed when taken to room. Walked three times thus far…two in room and one in hallway. Super sweet staff. Eating a little but appetite not great. I will keep you posted as I can. Thanks for the prayers. Jim

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Robert S

Robert S Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Jim, so happy the surgery has gone well. Such relief to have it behind you. Rest well, and when you feel up to it let us know how you're doing.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1