1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Postponed video. Need recommendations on places to donate.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Nyynth, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I am thinking https://menieresresearchaustralia.org/

VeDA doesn't fund research. Hearing Health Foundation is a possibility, too.

2. James

James ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

May 12, 2014
    If I won the lottery that is where I would send a lot of money.

3. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    If anyone reading is wondering, postponed due to scheduling conflicts with participants. It's going up no later than early this week, no matter what circumstances.

I apologize, this is frustrating to me, as well.

4. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Wednesday will be the day we're doing it -- I do not know if it will go up Wednesday night or Thursday. Depends on how long it takes me to edit and record an introduction. I have a new group 100% on-board and available. Scrapped the previous.

I will stay this course till it's understood, treated, and prevented.

5. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    How can one determine if you, and/or Meniere's Research Fund, is legitimate?

6. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    There are a few organizations that deal with research. Hearing Health Foundation is another. And there's a Meniere's UK website. Part of the purpose in trying to organize an active group/think-tank was to refine where funding should go as well as challenge-concept. I've asked here repeatedly, both privately and publicly.

I did want greater group engagement. Unfortunately that group ended up being fairly small. Mbgphoto79 would vouch for my intentions. Maybe Mac, I'll let him speak for himself. I have made numerous threads to this end.

I've been somewhat public with my identity. You can investigate the websites yourself -- I have a bit. In fact, I really encourage investigation as I haven't had the chance to contact them personally. I invite everyone to independently verify the website so I do not link donations to the wrong place.

7. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    I can vouch for the above. Nyynth and I have spoken at length about MM off board. I will say he is smart as a whip and as passionate about finding a cure for this mess as anyone out there. The frustration lies in finding a way to direct the passion. So far he has done more research than most and has put forth a huge amount of his personal time and effort to raise awareness. The hardest part it seems is uniting the people for a cause.

8. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Place I'm uncertain about: The Whirled Foundation

Not sure if they support research. Interesting read there, though. About middle-ear dystonia.

9. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I appreciate that, mbgphoto.

I absolutely do not want to be donating to the wrong place. These websites are fairly difficult to choose between. I understand why menieresaustralia looks dubious. And, y'know, it might be. I'm coming here seeking collective advice about where I should donate. This was one of the places recommended to me by a person that appeared fairly involved. I'm not infallible, but I sincerely want to cure this.

I don't want to be the only person involved in these decisions. I want us to come together. The Discord was made for that reason. Real-time discussion. Democratic decision-making. Filtering out bad ideas with the wisdom of the crowd. Debate isn't allowed here -- and I don't want the Discord to become blood-sports, either. However, I do believe debate leads to better ideas and would like to see some healthy argument. Peer-review leads to better ideas. We have been abandoned by the medical community. We are all we have in this fight.

10. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I have no idea what you are looking to organize...but from my experience...I would work with this group.

https://hearinghealthfoundation.org/

They do 2 MM grants every year. I spoke to them about it. They were surprised how few scientists sent proposals for the grants. I believe they are 25k each. The recipients this year were Gail Ishiyama (UCLA) and Ian Swinburne (Harvard). The grants are funded by some anonymous family.

I would reach out to them. They have been around forever and are very well respected. Good luck.

11. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Hearing Health did seem like a good option when I checked out their site. I just wish it was more Meniere's-focused instead of, what looks like, about a third of their agenda. I spoke to a couple other people that said they appeared reputable, too. Might be the option I ultimately go with.

As far as what I'm trying to organize. Direction. Organize connections. Organize campaigns. Subject ideas to argument thereby refining them. This is a coping site. Every community I've found is about 'coping'. I'm not about coping. I don't require an online community for something that needs to come from within me. I understand why others would find it useful; if I talk to anyone about how it makes me feel I'd prefer something personal.

I want a different type of community ready to actively make solutions.

Thank you for weighing in. I'm increasingly more sympathetic to hearinghealthfoundatioon instead of menieresaustralia.

12. rwj6001

rwj6001 Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Toledo, Ohio
    If I might ask, if this "community" isn't for you and you don't need it, then why are you here? This isn't just a "coping" community, its a supportive community, one that has made many different options and treatment choices public for many people who didn't have a clue how to deal with this monster. It has provided an outlet for the frustrations and daily sufferings of many people who had no other outlet, and certainly no one else who could understand and/or relate to what they were talking about.

This site is all about "subjecting ideas to argument thereby refining them" AND "actively making solutions" how do you think others have managed to come up with the solutions we currently have? Some of these people have put in serious time and effort on this issue (John of Ohio, just to name one) and here you are coming off like you're some kind of expert on the subject.

I'm all for activism and awareness, but from what I've seen you've only been around here for a short time, and now, you're not at all satisfied with the type of "community" this is and are actively working to change it?

Give me a break. When you've been here for a while and done something useful (instead of making posts) then please feel free to "inform" me that I'm not actively doing enough about a disease that is damn near disabling me and many others.

Then, and only then, will I give a shit what you think about this community and any effort you are making towards changing it and/or motivating us.

13. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Guy always struck me as a psychotic high energy conman. From the start I knew he'd somehow bring money into this. And well, here we are.

14. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I comment on other posts in order to support people that do find utility in the comfort of an online community. Personally, I would rather speak to a person one on one if I'm seeking counsel. This is all I said.

I do not pretend to be an expert. I've read a variety of theories and I don't know which I subscribe to with confidence, anymore. I am asking for greater proactive involvement so as to fund the experts. I have pointed out in other threads what has been done by certain individuals is very commendable. I mentioned JOH by name. I've mentioned Mac by name. I've mentioned others by name.

This thread is a request for recommendations on places to donate. It has resulted in some productive conversation. I have linked, somewhere, studies to the antiviral effects of mushrooms. Every newcomer I see, I try to inform with the basics presented by this forum. I've also pointed out there's a study available on the WhirledFoundation website that is pretty interesting -- Meniere's possibly being caused by middle-ear dystonia. Certain types of debate do appear to be banned from this forum. It is in the stickied thread.

I am organizing and recording a video-challenge on my own time and am constantly at odds with myself over how I should introduce it and where I should link donations. I've posted all over the internet about this disease and actually managed to get it in front of an audience of a few hundred on a livestream. I've also contacted multiple Facebook groups to ensure the challenge-video is put in front of an audience.

You do not know what I have or haven't done and are assuming I've done nothing at all. I have not done as much as some people, but this is how I am trying. If you want to read malice in what I've written, I can't stop you, but I did _not_ intend it. This site has yielded some useful information -- unfortunately little corroborated with medical trials. This is the part I'd like to change. I'd like there to be more involvement from an interdisciplinary medical community and that is done by relating interest in the disease and funding.

This place is valuable. However, from what I've seen, after scouring hundreds of threads, there is little to no fundraising and no consensus on where donations should be made. I have found one video-challenge and it was a mother and her children on FB with marginal engagement. _Not that I'm trying to belittle her effort_, only that I feel another attempt should be made.

I feel for every person with this disease. I feel for every person that has had this disease. I feel for every person that will have this disease. I am sorry I didn't phrase something as delicately and with enough caveats as you would have preferred.

15. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWaVot7J1xs

Expand the first comment. Heather is my SO -- I was using her account because I hate seeing Meniere's videos crop-up in my feed. What links are provided there, Pupper?

16. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    Nyynth, if we've been abandoned by the medical community, it's because there's no money in it for them. With most medical studies and research projects, funding is usually established and given after a proposal for the project is done. Waving a check and saying, "Here's some money, now someone do some research" might not be the best approach. I may be oversimplifying your intentions but I think that if the medical community was interested in finding a direct cause and cure, they would be more vocal about it. It's not like they don't know Meniere's exists.

17. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I'll use the ALS example. Before the ice-bucket challenge, it was virtually unheard-of. Very little academic research. Few dedicated persons or labs. If interest doesn't exist, I believe it's our responsibility to create it. I've discussed on the forums how it may be in our interest to tackle an umbrella of diseases with hypovestibular symptoms or deafness. Industry is propelled by the amount of money and public interest in the field. Meniere's is far more common than ALS -- albeit not as bad, either, but massively more common.

The medical community is not the catalyst for where resources are allocated -- public interest delegates funding. I think expecting the medical community to some-day have our answer without any effort on our part simply shifts the onus on the medical community, rather than us. Without awareness and fundraising, the field will never grow or attract new people or disciplines. Consumers decide the market.

I do believe this is why it's critical we fund the correct organization and encourage viral-awareness so the funding doesn't simply disappear into a medical complex without resolution.

Members here could attest to the power of a devoted individual in changing the course of medicine. It's like any other market. There has to be a push for demand. We have to be the vocal party.

18. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Yeah, please elaborate on my brilliant plan to swindle money from a forum I'm not requesting donate directly and am asking where donations ought to be made, Pupper.

I'll be here when you've collected sufficient evidence to support your misguided witch-hunt.

19. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Nyynth, it was just my gut feel. Perhaps you're so odd you defy understanding. Plus I don't have the energy to care. If you have good intentions, I apologize. But for the sake of peace I won't be addressing you on this topic again.

20. Nyynth

Nyynth Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I'll ignore the veiled insult and choose to appreciate the cease-fire.