1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Preparation for a Five hour plane flight-please help.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Jimmy Alvin, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    I am flying on Sunday for five hours to Las Vegas. I am scared about the flight. Can you all give me tips and suggestions on what to do to prepare? I am taking my anti-dizzy drug which my ENT gave me (forgot the name), my Xanax, and nasal sprays. I have also cut the salt further, and trying to diet before the trip. My friends and family have suggested that I not go, but dammit, I am going!!! I used to love Vegas but so scared to go--I haven't been in almost two years. My last airline trip was not good. A long dizzy spell, and ears which felt like they were exploding with pressure that would not release....also severe pain for a few days. I suppose I should have the barf bag close by.

2. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Try not to think negative thoughts and enjoy the trip.

I generally mix valium with whiskey and sleep. :)

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Worrying about it is not going to change what it is going to be. In fact it could bring on an attack...deep breaths and meditation could be helpful. And I agree think positive.

4. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    I have never had a problem flying and I was getting a few attacks a week. I just take a valium before boarding. I just flew Monday and the descent was pretty hairy as we hit alot of turbulence and I didn't get dizzy at all. Try not to stress it - get plenty of rest before you leave and don't overdo it - make sure you can plan some down time or even naps if you know you will be out late at night... eat well... you will be just fine. ( I also went on a cruise in July that i was freaking out about and ended up being fine the whole trip).

5. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    What a wonderful site this is where I get to hear about your lives, your symptoms, treatment, fears, courage, caring and successes. Jimmy I'm thrilled for you that your taking a trip and hope that u feel well. Maybe being on AVs will be different. I haven't flown in a couple of years.
    I agree, I'd take xanax before the flight and meditate on peace, calm and fun in Vegas!
    Thanks for all your honest sharing; sounds like your life has improved.

6. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I had a horrible time on the plan in 2012 and don't expect to fly again for a very long time. But I know other people with MM do fine on planes. I have some peculiarity about air pressure changes. I am also very sensitive to noise.

If I absolutely had to go on a plane, I'd be sure to bring FlyFit Ear Plugs, both for the noise and the air pressure: https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/flyfit/. (I even wear these when I go up a big hill, that's how bad it is for me.) An easier-to-find brand called "EarPlanes" does the same thing, but they aren't nearly as comfortable, and I couldn't tolerate them for an entire flight.

I'd also bring acupressure wrist bands (I use sea bands brand) for potential nausea.

I'm sure all your preparations will help a lot. Have a wonderful trip!

7. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Thanks by the bay, I got the ear plugs!!! Thank you.... and my xanax and anti dizzy medicine is ready to go! Hearing is good today but tinnitus increased from yesterday. Isn't it weird that my tinnitus has gotten worse but my hearing better? God, how strange is that? Also today some pain in the left ear and my ear drum seems to stick in the out position frequently today. There is never a dull moment with this illness. Unfortunately these dull moments are pretty horrible. I think my ear tube is coming out of my left ear after six months.

8. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Ready to go on Sunday at 3pm. You should see all the medicine and equipment I have packed! I had to laugh. Xanax, valtrex, dizzy medicine, sleep apnea machine and associated supplies, several nasal sprays, migraine medicine, sinus rinse material, ear plugs, hearing aid case with extra batteries, liquid steroids for the ears and nose, and all of the other medicines I am taking. I think I am going to have to start using my fishing tackle box for all of this. Thanks to all of my friends on this site. You have been with me thick and then, and I love you all for it. You are helping me survive this.

9. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Jimmie try to relax a little and enjoy the trip. As we've all been told, anxiety can create it's own set of problems. I'm taking the high road and gonna say "you'll be fine". I certainly hope you are able to have a good time!!

10. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    So Jimmie, how did the flight go for you???

11. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    For me having all that kind of stuff ready helps me decrease my anxiety. I get the worries done ahead and then enjoy the trip!

Jimmie, I hope it's going wonderfully!!