1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Pterostilbene and resveratrol. Has anyone tried them?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by IvanA, Oct 31, 2020.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I've been looking for different antioxidants in case any could work for Meniere. I have not found anything directly indicated for Meniere, but you know that nobody bothers to try these things with the minority of Meniere patients.

The fact is that these two antioxidants seem to be the most powerful in the world and both have strong protective capacity against oxidation, are anti-inflammatory, could help regulate diabetes, etc.

Specifically, pterostilbene is much more powerful than resveratrol, but the latter is still much more powerful than any normal antioxidant I think.

Has anyone tried them? I think this may be of particular interest to Mindosa.

Edit: The other three most powerful antioxidants after these two were turmeric, vitamin D, and matcha tea (it is 100 times more antioxidant than normal green tea).

2. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Yes, I use resveratrol since I saw this:

My experience with fasting only on water

To be exact, these compounds are Stilbenes.

Stilbenes are a class of polyphenolic compounds, naturally found in a wide variety of dietary sources such as grapes, berries, peanuts, red wine, and some medicinal plants. There are several well-known stilbenes including trans-resveratrol, pterostilbene, and 3′-hydroxypterostilbene. The core chemical structure of stilbene compounds is 1,2-diphenylethylene. Recently, stilbenes have attracted extensive attention and interest due to their wide range of health-beneficial effects such as anti-inflammation, -carcinogenic, -diabetes, and -dyslipidemia activities.

Resveratrol is the most extensively studied stilbene found in grape skin, berries, peanuts, and some medicinal plants. Hundreds of studies have shown that resveratrol plays a critical role in human health and diseases due to its diverse biological and pharmacological actions including antioxidation, -inflammation, -carcinogenic, and -diabetic potencies. However, one potential issue surrounding resveratrol is that resveratrol has a very low bioavailability that may lower its biological effectiveness.

It has been demonstrated that resveratrol possesses the potential of lifespan extension in various organism and animal models. Most reports suggested that the mechanism in regard to longevity promotion by resveratrol is related to calorie restriction.

Pterostilbene, natural dimethylated analogue of resveratrol, is a stilbenoid phytochemical compound primarily found in blueberries, grapes, and a tree wood, Pterocarpus marsupium.

Recent reports indicate that pterostilbene possesses high potential in bioactivities than its analogue resveratrol. However, there were only few studies investigating the anti-aging effects of pterostilbene.

Pterostilbene also improved the cellular stress, inflammation, and Alzheimer’s disease pathology through upregulation of PPAR-α expression, showing higher modulator potential than resveratrol.

Methylated modification of resveratrol found in pterostilbene and 3′-hydroxypterostilbene appeared to have stronger biological properties.
    However, the human studies of stilbenoid compounds are still lacking, future clinical research for these compounds in chronic diseases is necessary to investigate their physiological and pharmacological effects and safety.

Source:
    Biological actions and molecular effects of resveratrol, pterostilbene, and 3′-hydroxypterostilbene - ScienceDirect

According to professor David Sinclair, if you are interested in taking resveratrol, you need to use Trans-resveratrol (98-99% purity). Most importantly it should be white, not brown (brown is no longer effective) and you need to take it with the fat (for example it could be yogurt) for better absorption.

3. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    In a pharmacokinetic study, pterostilbene was shown to have 80% oral bioavailability in comparison to only 20% for resveratrol. Thus, the findings of these studies indicated that pterostilbene, dimethyl ether of resveratrol, showed much greater bioavailability than resveratrol.

4. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I forgot to mention that I also use curcumin (turmeric). This compound has one of the strongest anti-inflammatory properties in nature and like stilbenes, it has a lot of other health benefits, one of these anticancer. Curcumin also strengthens intermittent fasting effect. In fact science just begun doing researches into these natural materials and we still don't know a lot about them.

Besides, one forum member mentioned that curcumin helps to alleviate ears pressure, I think this could be due to inner ear’s inflammation reduction.

If you deside to use curcumin, keep in mind that not all curcumin is equal. See how many curcuminoids your supplement has and also not all curcumin supplement forms are equal in case of absorption. Curcumin, like resveratrol, has absorption problems.

I also use vitamin D - is a must supplement in winter time.

5. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Is it worth taking turmeric in infusions? I have seen that they sell some that are turmeric with ginger, ginger also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.

6. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    The most important part is curcuminoids. Standart turmeric curcumin has not a lot of curcuminoids, so it's better to look for curcumin extract where specified exact % of curcuminoids. The more procentige of curminoinds, the stronger the effect of the supplement.

Also important to know, curcumin has poor absorbency. There are researches showing that if you take curcumin together with black pepper (piperine) you can increase curcumin absorbance thenfolds. So some supplement producers are selling curcumin together with piperine extract for better absorbency. But recently appeared on the market liquid curcumin and producers are claiming that they increased curcumin absorbance hundred folds compared to standard curcumin.

That forum member who mentioned curcumin helps to alleviate ears pressure wrote that when he tried liquid curcumin didn't want to return to standard curcumin anymore.

I personally haven't tried liquid curcumin yet. I started with the curcumin extract which one capsule has 450 mg curcuminoids + piperine extract. Later on I am going to try and liquid curcumin.

P.S.: don't know about the ginger.

7. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I just bought liquid turmeric with a little vitamin D to see if it works for strong wind storms so that my ear doesn't look like a drum.

Now I need to know how to buy Pterostilbene. Is there something to keep in mind or is it worth anyone? I've seen trans-pterostilbene for sale, but I don't know if it's the same.

To be honest, I've had a pretty good few months, but I prefer to keep trying things to see if I can improve even more.

8. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Don't know which pterostilbene is better to choose, but I think the dose matters. The higher amount of pterostilbene in one capsule is, the more effect should be.

I myself am going to add pterostilbene in the future, but for now I am trying to add or take out one thing at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    There is more curcumin benefits:

A 2018 study out of UCLA confirms that a daily dose of curcumin—the active ingredient in turmeric—improves memory and mood in people with age-related memory loss. In the double-blind, placebo-controlled study, forty adults between the ages of fifty and ninety who complained of memory issues were assigned to one of two groups. Group one received a placebo, while group two received 90 milligrams of curcumin twice daily for eighteen months. All forty participants took standardized cognitive assessments at the study’s inception and then at six-month intervals. Thirty of the participants also underwent positron emission tomography (PET) scans to monitor brain amyloids before starting and then again after eighteen months. The results revealed that the participants who took curcumin experienced markedly improved memory and attention abilities. In fact, the people taking curcumin improved their memory scores by an average of 28 percent over eighteen months. This group also noted mood improvements, and their brain PET scans showed less amyloid buildup. To reap curcumin’s maximum longevity benefits, take it in supplement form. Pair it with bromelain (a digestive enzyme found in pineapple), or take it in an oil-based capsule to increase your body’s ability to absorb and utilize curcumin.

10. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Here I want to mention and PYRROLOQUINOLINE QUINONE (PQQ).
    This antioxidant is about a hundred times as powerful as vitamin C at protecting your cells from free radicals to keep them young. It also stimulates NGF, which helps you grow new neurons, and has been found to enhance the regeneration of peripheral nerves that connect the brain and spinal cord to the rest of the body.

Research on mice supports PQQ’s ability to kick mitochondria into high gear. Specifically, it can increase mitochondrial density to provide more energy, reduce inflammation, boost metabolism, combat oxidative stress, improve learning and memory ability, and protect the heart.

PQQ also activates PCG-1 alpha in the same way that exercise and nicotine do, which sparks mitochondrial biogenesis. This means that one supplement can enhance your existing mitochondria and help you grow new ones, all while acting as an incredibly powerful antioxidant. It’s pretty much the holy grail of longevity.

I wrapped PQQ molecules in a protective coating of oil called a liposome to help them absorb.

11. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Found this info on vitamin D:

A recent study which came out last month by the 'Medical Hypothesis Journal' found that Vitamin D supplementation may help improve the symptoms of Ménière's.

This is because Vitamin D helps regulate the immune system, reduce inflammation and heal a leaky gut (the root cause of autoimmune conditions).

The benefit of Vitamin D in autoimmune conditions has been widely researched, but this is the first study specifically looking at the benefit of Vitamin D in Ménière's.

If you have never had your vitamin D levels checked I'd recommend taking 3000 IU per day. However people with Ménière's may need up to 4000 IU per day initially, but I'd only recommend taking this much if your vitamin D levels have been tested first. For a maintenance dose, I'd then recommend 2000 IU per day.

12. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    About vitamin D I had read some study that indicated that it could help Meniere, what I did not know were the doses. I have been taking 2000IU a day for months and now my curcumin has also so I am taking 2800IU every day, it is a bit difficult to reach 4000IU daily, but since I take my vitamin D I have noticed some improvement in my symptoms, but since I also take other vitamins and supplements, I cannot be sure that it is due specifically to vitamin D.

The PQQ sounds pretty good, but in the end you have to decide what to buy and what to take is too much money to buy absolutely all the supplements that "can" work. Which one do you think is better PQQ or pterostilbene?

13. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Vitamin D is very inexpensive and has such broad-ranging positive implications for optimal health that I consider it a must have supplement even for the average person. Not to mention Vitamin D deficiency is rampant.

Recommendations for the optimal amount for the average person is 1000iu - 4000iu daily. Amounts up to 10,000iu have not shown toxicity but this would not be recommended for a maintenance dose. I would agree with Mindosa on the 2000-3000iu daily supplementation range for anybody but especially we in the MD Club....

14. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    When taking Vitamin D3, make sure you also supplement with MK-7 Vitamin K2 to help your body absorb the D.

15. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Mi pills have 300 mcg vitamin K as phytonadione K1. 250% of the daily dose. I hope it is enough because I do not want to change vitamins, the ones I take are the best compound that I have found quality / price and they have all the vitamins in one capsule. Although I would not mind if they had more vitamin C (400mg, I preferred 1gr at least, but I cover it by eating kiwis that I love).

16. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    There is only one way to find out, to try it on yourself.

17. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I thought you only needed to take K2 together with vitamin D and alongside with calcium for better calcium absorption, but not for the better vitamin D absorption?