1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Pycnogenol- new study

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by gfsound, Jul 24, 2014.

1. gfsound

gfsound New Member

May 13, 2014
    Looks promising!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/study-finds-pycnogenol-effective-in-improving-inner-ear-circulation-with-relief-of-symptoms-of-menieres-disease-including-tinnitus-268456582.html

HOBOKEN, N.J., July 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- A new study published in the June issue of the Minerva Medica found that supplementation with Pycnogenol® (pic-noj-en-all), a natural antioxidant plant extract from French maritime pine tree bark, significantly improves inner-ear blood flow, making it a natural option for those seeking relief from symptoms of Meniere's disease such as dizziness, ringing in the ear, hearing loss, inner-ear pressure and unsteady balance. These chronic symptoms can affect quality of life and result in missed work days, falls and lead to depression. Researchers found that nearly 90 percent of patients were free of all inner-ear-related symptoms within six months of supplementing with Pycnogenol®.

"More than 50 million Americans suffer from Meniere's disease and tinnitus, and because symptoms are often varied and inconsistent, these inner-ear issues are difficult to diagnose and treat," said Dr. Steven Lamm, a physician and nutritional medicine expert. "Building on previous research, this study suggests that Pycnogenol® is a safe and natural option that may bring significant relief to those suffering from these conditions within a relatively short period of time."

In the study conducted at the Italian Chieti-Pescara University, researchers treated and monitored 107 patients between the ages of 35 and 55 who were diagnosed with Meniere's disease and suffering from symptoms like tinnitus. All patients were managed with best available management (BM) which included anticholinergics, benzodiazepines, antihistamines, corticosteroids, low salt diet and avoidance of caffeine, alcohol or other stimulants. In addition to BM treatments, the Pycnogenol® group supplemented with 150mg/day of the patented pine bark extract. Results were recorded based on observational and reported scales for symptoms such as tinnitus, feeling of pressure and unsteady gait.

Inner-ear blood flow velocity was measured using a high-resolution, linear imaging probe. At baseline, flow velocity at the level of the affected ear was significantly lower in comparison with the other ear showing cochlear hypoperfusion.

There was more significant improvement in all registry items at both three and six months in the Pycnogenol® group as compared to the control group. After six months of observation, nearly 90 percent (87.3%) of subjects in the Pycnogenol® group were asymptomatic, as compared to just more than 34 percent (34.6%) in the control group.

Over the course of six months, researchers also found Pycnogenol® to:

Significantly improve inner-ear blood flow and reduce pressure as compared to control group (higher flow, higher diastolic component (p<0.05))
    Significantly improve patient-reported tinnitus as compared to control group (p<0.05 at three and six months)
    Reduce the number of missed work days due to inner-ear ailments as compared to control group (p<0.05)

"The important effect of Pycnogenol® on improving microcirculation makes it a safe and natural option for those seeking relief from the symptoms of Meniere's disease, including tinnitus," said Dr. Gianni Belcaro, lead researcher of the study. "Because Pycnogenol® also has proven anti-inflammatory activity and antioxidant action, it may also help protect against the onset of tinnitus."

This study confirms previous findings from the catalog of research on tinnitus and inner-ear ailments including a 2010 study that found Pycnogenol® to be effective to significantly relieve tinnitus symptoms by improving blood flow in the inner ear. To review the clinical research and additional information on Pycnogenol® visit www.Pycnogenol.com.

About Pycnogenol®
    Pycnogenol® is a natural plant extract originating from the bark of the maritime pine that grows along the coast of southwest France and is found to contain a unique combination of procyanidins, bioflavonoids and organic acids, which offer extensive natural health benefits. The extract has been widely studied for the past 40 years and has more than 340 published studies and review articles ensuring safety and efficacy as an ingredient.Today, Pycnogenol® is available in more than 700 dietary supplements, multi-vitamins and health products worldwide. For more information, visit www.pycnogenol.com.

About Horphag Research (USA) Inc.
    Horphag Research (USA) Inc., based in Hoboken, New Jersey, is the North American distributor for Pycnogenol® (pic-noj-en-all) brand French maritime pine bark extract on behalf of Horphag Research. Pycnogenol® is a registered trademark of Horphag Research Ltd. For its patented ingredient, Pycnogenol®, Horphag Research has been awarded the Frost & Sullivan Excellence in Research Award, Nutraceutical Business & Technology Safety & Quality Award, SupplySide West Scientific Excellence Award and The American Botanical Council's Tyler Research Award. Horphag Research (USA) has the exclusive rights to market and sell Pycnogenol® in North America and benefits from more than 40 years of scientific research assuring the safety and efficacy of Pycnogenol® as a dietary supplement. For more information about Pycnogenol® visit www.pycnogenol.com.

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120607/MM20529-a

Krissy Zotaley
    312-981-8553
    [email protected]

SOURCE Pycnogenol

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Sounds great in fact I give French martime pine bark to my dogs for their tumors, and their cancerous tumors have shrunk some, I do give them other herbal meds for their conditions but French maritime pine bark is 25% stronger antioxidant than vitamin c.

Thanks for posting gfsound..how are you feeling these days?

3. gfsound

gfsound New Member

May 13, 2014
    Been up and down. No vertigo or significant dizziness since Germany. Will probably be going back for my second (and final) round of shots before my serum expires. Also have been on SS, so I'm throwing everything I can at it. Mostly I'm much better than I was before Germany, so I feel like I'm headed in the right direction, but not out of the woods yet.

4. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I am so happy to hear you are still vertigo free, that's wonderful news! I hope SS's treatment takes care of the rest for you! Seems like the treatment in Germany was successful in the way of relieving your vertigo.

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    I, too, was going to post this informtion. Glad it got up.

Pycnogenol is but another substance that markedly increases circulation through the inner ear, helping to drain off the excess fluids of the hydrops condition. This increased circulation may also facilitate leukocyte suppression of herpes viruses in the inner ear.

Serc, (beta-histine) is commonly prescribed for Meniere's by physicians in all parts of the world except the US (where the FDA holds that it has no efficacy. It is known to increase inner ear circulation; as does lemon bioflavonoids, ginkgo extract, and vinpocetine.

Pycnogenol is an over the counter supplement that has been on the market for a several years, with high margins of safety and other health benefits.

--John of Ohio

6. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    The article points out that Pycnogenol is also effective in reducing tinnitus symptoms. If so, that's big, as there are simply no good treatments for tinnitus.

Give Pycnogenol a try, for both Meniere's and tinnitus. In the study, assessments were at both 3- and 6-month treatment periods --- so, as with most other MM treatments, don't expect any instant results. Persist for 3 to 6 months.

Let us know how this works. Would be just wonderful if the results of the study could be replicated by folks here.

--John of Ohio

7. deadeye

deadeye Member

May 12, 2014
    any brand or type we should look for?

8. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Here's one:
    http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Pycnogenol?csrc=PPCADW-Vitacost+Pycnogenol&mtp=sV5mFOZHt-dc|pcrid|48426451931|mt|p&gclid=CP7f9Kr83r8CFQwV7AodGX4AIg

--John of Ohio

9. Vicki

Vicki Guest

also deadeye if you go to the site listed in the study it has a shop link with all the stores online and brick and mortar that sells it:
    http://www.pycnogenol.com/about/shop/

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    IF blood flow in the inner ear is indeed the problem ... then this would be promising but I think there may be some doubt about that now.

11. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

May 14, 2014
    Does anyone else think it's odd that when searching "pycnogenol" in PubMed, many of the studies done are authored by the same people? I guess if the group authored studies involving the effect pycnogenol has on the same symptom group (i.e., tinnitus or heart disease) it would make more sense. But, the group has written about its impact on ailments as diverse as tinnitus, mental alertness, psoriasis, venous insufficiency, hemorrhoids, atherosclerosis and athletic performance all in 2014.

Does that seem weird to anyone else? Makes me wonder what the relationship is between the researchers and the manufacturer.

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    good question

13. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

May 14, 2014
    Interestingly, the same group of researchers from Italy also published a study in 2013 entitled: Lady Prelox® improves sexual function in generally healthy women of reproductive age.

Guess who manufactures Lady Prelox? Yep- Horphag Research. The same company that manufactures pycnogenol...

14. Vicki

Vicki Guest

interesting. I do know that it is helping my dogs pertaining to their tumors. A western herbalist prescribed it for them. But yeah it does open things up for questioning about the validity of the studies.

15. deadeye

deadeye Member

May 12, 2014
    you guys are good

16. rondrums51

rondrums51 Diagnosed 2004, went bilateral 2013

May 12, 2014
    Southwest Florida coast
    The study was apparently financed by the manufacturer, and the website is a public relations web site hired by the manufacturer. Not saying it won't help, just a heads up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I searched pub med for studies involving French maritime pine bark, although there are studies by that research group, there are also studies for different ailments and diseases for French maritime pine bark by others in japan, Korea, USA, Iran etc, that makes no note of them being connected with that research company.

18. Vicki

Vicki Guest

here is a link to the search I did:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=french+maritme+pine+bark

19. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

May 14, 2014
    As an aside, if you want to read a fascinating book about the back-door associations between industry (pharm/food commodities) and researchers/public health associations, check out "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz. It's nauseating.

20. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    For those questioning the pycnogenol paper, which described very positive results with both Meniere's symptoms and tinnitus, do you likewise question the validating clinical studies done for each prescription drug? Virtually all of those are conducted by and paid for by the manufacturers and sellers of the drugs. The FDA finds these studies to be valid and bases their approval of those prescription drugs on those manufacturer-financed studies. If this pycnogenol study is invalid merely because it was financed by the manufacturer, where does that leave all the other such validation studies by drug companies?

The real question is not who paid for or conducted the study; it's if the study results are truthful. Better minds than any of us here, in the peer review panel that approved publication of the study in the medical journal, have scrutinized the study data and found them scientifically appropriate for publication.

If I had either Meniere's symptoms (I no longer do, because of a regimen I devised -- http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf), or if I had tinnitus, I'd be taking pycnogenol right now. I hope some others will, and in 3 to 6 months (the study period for effectiveness) will report back their personal results.

Meniere's symptoms are bad enough, but tinnitus simpy has no effective treatment that I know of. Treatment efficacy by pycnogenol would be a major advancement against this condition.

Let's see if a) anyone underakes pycnogenol treatment for 3 to 6 months, and b) what their results are. If you decide to go forward with this, tell readers here that you are begining.

My best to all in this.

--John of Ohio