1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Question about attack I had last night

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Star, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Star

Star New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    In the past when I had vertigo attacks they were a few hours. Couldn't walk and was nauseous but that was it.

Last night I started having INTENSE ear pain. Curl up in ball crying pain. Then vertigo hit and nausea and vomiting. My ear with the pain so muffled. I definitely wasn't hearing as well. I eventually dosed off with the TV on and when I woke up my hearing had cleared. The TV was loud and it was same show. The whole attack lasted 5 hours.

I've never had the hearing be affected. Is that what it's like? I assumed you couldn't hear at all in the affected ear if hearing was involved.

Thanks

2. Star

Star New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    crikets eh...guess I'm the only one dealing with this. *sarcasm*

I have disappointed in the support in this forum. Thank you SurferGirl as the only one to respond to my introduction post.

3. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Hi star
    I never had any ear ache/ pain while having/ before/ after an attack. My hearing was always down before and during an attack. However it would always clear after one, going back to what was normal in my case.
    You mentioned a 5 hour long attack. I would say you were lucky to have had it for such a short period of time. My attacks lasted anything between 15-22 hours.
    All the best to you

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Hi Star,

Intense pain is not a symptom of Meniere's. Some people have reported having some pain at times, but nothing like you have described. As Marta stated, hearing is usually down and clears after an attack.

Was your attack five hours of vertigo?

5. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Intense pain can mean the endolymphatic sac has filled but not burst....yet. When it bursts the fluid goes into the other compartments and can cause vertigo. At least that is one theory. I buy it. I have had bad pain in my bad ear.

BTW... don't get your panities all in a bunch if people don't get right back to you. I doubt anyone checks it every day. This is the first time i've seen your post.

6. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    I've never had severe pain, but I do have some mild pain in my ear sometimes, nothing that I can't ignore by distracting myself. Maybe it's placebo, but I think drinking a hot infusion of ginger helps.

7. Star

Star New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    Thank you all for your responses. Apologies for getting a little worked up. Actually went on to have a full meltdown yesterday. It's so hard having so much pain, dizziness, and brain fog and trying to schedule appointments. So many appointments. I had to cancel a bunch of PT appointments for my daughter because I can't drive at the moment. I'm afraid to take uber or the bus because I don't want vomiting attack on bus. Bad anytime really with covid times. I found out yesterday that the pain clinic never sent my jaw referral out. Well she did send it to my PCP but it was addressed to TMJ dental clinic. It takes at least 2 weeks for them to approve the referral and then they are booking 3 to 4 months out. So par the course but so frustrating. Thanks again.

8. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I agree with Cheryl. Severe pain does not sound like MD. Is the pain central to ur ear or is it like a massive headache? Regardless, find yourself a neuro/ oto and get an mri if you have not already done so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Star

Star New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    MRI of brain? MRI of ear? MRI of jaw? The ear pressure is down now. I've been low salt for 4 days. I see my original ENT tomorrow. (In my congnitive haze I remembered her as the audiologist and saw a new one who ordered the pressure testing and gave me a virtual appointment that was pretty limited because he couldn't exam me and I'm a new patient.) I'll see what she has to say.

10. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    The typical menieres related mri is looking for a tumor in your brain.

11. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    The MRI is just to rule out a brain tumor.

12. NLS

NLS New Member

May 14, 2021
    Hello Star,

I've just read your post.

I have never had severe pain in my affected ear prior to a vertigo attack but I have experienced intense pressure within the ear as well as a loss in hearing. This builds up over perhaps 20 minutes but as soon as the vertigo starts the feeling of pressure begins to reduce and I get a tickling feeling as if fluid is actually running out of my ear canal. It isn't of course. Once I was convinced my ear canal must be actually blocked and put ear drops into it in an effort to clear it - there was no physical blockage in fact. My attacks last from 3 to 6 hours and I have never had one last longer than that although the well known after effects of unsteadiness and disorientation etc. last up to 18 hours.

13. Star

Star New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    I am waiting on MRI in July. I think because of the tmj/neuraglia issues too it a muckier picture. So definitely good to get MRI. Feeling better with low salt diet. Diuretics reduced that low level dizziness but I couldn't tolerate side effects.