1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Question for those on a/v

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nicmger, May 15, 2014.

1. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    A question for those on anti-virals. I started a/v just over a month ago. Taking generic Valtrex.

The initial prescription was filled at Target. My insurance requires any med that needs refills to be filled through mail order.

I had been felling quite good, no ringing, no pressure, no vertigo AND even a slight improvement in my hearing which was exciting because it was better than the past couple of years "best".

The past week is the "new/refill" from the mail order. Different lab. I have noticed that the ringing is back and hearing not as improved as just prior.

So...question is whether the change is "just because" fluctuation of my body's response to the medication OR is it that the new manufacturer's product is not as good as the previous? (I know they are "supposed" to be the same but it doesn't seem like it is working as well and an internet search seems to have some negative feedback of the generic of this from Milan lab.)

Thoughts?

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I have read this a few times from people on the forums and from searching the net, that not all generics in Valtrex are the same and some do not work as well and some get side effects from one generic and not the other. If you can somehow get the one you were taking and you go back to feeling better that would be the real test if it was the different manufacturer or not.

I take acyclovir so it has not happen to me, but I have heard of this.

3. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I called the mail order pharmacy and their pharmacist insists that "all generics are the same". I have emailed the doctor. I even called Target for the cash price and was going to try to fill one month there (where I got the first) but the cash price...for the generic...was $664. UGH...I knew the total of the first fill of my copayment and the insurance portion was only $110 total. I was willing to pay the $110 to give it a try (like you said to confirm if it was the manufacturer) but $664 for 30 days is a bit rich for me.

4. Vicki

Vicki Guest

OMG that's crazy, can you get a prescription discount card and see what it would cost then? my state NY gives them out for free. Do they cover brand name Valtrex? maybe your doc can write a script for that and you can be covered?

5. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

May 14, 2014
    Give the Costco pharmacy a call and ask their price. You don't even need to be a member to have an Rx filled. Their prices are usually lower than others.

6. Vicki

Vicki Guest

good idea! about Costco also walgreens and some other pharmacies have 4 dollar prescriptions, maybe an av is one of them?

7. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I will check with Costco tomorrow. "Funny" thing is that I actually challenged Target pharmacy by asking why the total between insurance and my copayment was $110 but if I wanted to pay straight cash they wanted $664? They said it was a contract discount price offered to insurance only. Crazy...you would think that cash would talk!

I am waiting to hear back from my doctor. I asked if he could/would write the prescription specifying "northstar" lab or the brand. We will see what he says...and what I find out from Costco tomorrow. I will also look for a discount pharmacy card to see what/if that could help!

Thanks!

8. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Also, many people on AVs find their symptoms getting worse before they get better. So it could be that too.

9. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I had heard that but other than the first 7-10 days or so when at a certain time (about 4 hrs after each dose) where the ringing increased significantly for about 2 hrs; everything else settle down included the ringing and pressure and have been doing great. Feeling great.

10. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I think it's crazy that you would have to pay more for cash than for the insurance price! I hope your Dr will help. At least then if you see a positive result, you'll know it's the med. I never got worse before I got better with Acyclovir but it took a long time to get really good results.
    Good luck to you.

11. deadeye

deadeye Member

May 12, 2014
    been on acylovir about 10 mths now have had some relief but last 3 weeks have slid back to old self and it really sucks if they had made a difference has anyone out there relapsed and it stopped working? i'm so frustrated have had a few steps backward but after a week i got better this one is sticking with me and my balance throughout the day is a battle again went into walmart yesterday and got so sick at my stomach thanks

12. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Sorry to hear that deadeye, could there be something else causing your setback? Have you noticed any dietary changes you have made? or allergy symptoms acting up? Spring is really bad for many of US MM sufferers, I have had to increase my dose several times since Spring started. and I heard this allergy season is real bad. Possibly a systemic fungal infection going on?

13. angrychicken

angrychicken New Member

May 13, 2014
    I've had relief from AVs (generic valcyclovir) for the past 6 months and every time I get a refill is seems like the color of the pills is different! I've had white, light blue and dark blue. I haven't been keeping track of where they are coming from since I haven't noticed a difference.

14. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    WOW, thanks for the advise folks. Really didn't think that there would be THAT big of a variance in the cash price offered....BUT I just filled a month supply at Costco (from the same manufacturer as Target so will be able to confirm if that makes a difference) for $95/cash. Vs $664.

CRAZY. Would not have checked without the advice from everyone here.

So...THANK YOU!!

15. Vicki

Vicki Guest

wow that's great!

16. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I have had relapses and they generally last about 6 weeks. However, I don't take AV's all the time and the lapses happened usually when I am not taking them. Bit in the very beginning, I did have a relapse while I was still taking them. It happened at this time of year which is allergy season for me. It is what got me started on allergy shots. In my case, my relapse from allergies was qualitatively a little different than my symptoms before av's. Hang in there and try to mitigate any seasonal stresses on the body and see if the body doesn't recoup. Good luck.

17. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    One of the places that really set me off during this period was the produce section of our grocery store. Not sure what was there.

18. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I'm glad you were able to get what you need, keep us posted.

19. deadeye

deadeye Member

May 12, 2014
    Allergy shots the only answer for allergies?been done that road for several yrs with no luck thanks

20. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Technically according to test I don't have allergies...but I have all of the symptoms at certain times of years. Immunologist told me it is that my body doesn't process the irritants correctly but not an allergy. I have nasal sprays which help alot. I started taking NasaCort (OTC) and that seems to have helped with the last parts that the prescriptions sprays didn't cover. It is night and day difference for me since I first added the nasal sprays.