1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Question for those on a/v

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nicmger, May 15, 2014.

1. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Update....so far, so good. I started back on the other manufacturer's pills and the ringing has reduced again along with the pressure. Hearing seems better. With this disease who knows if it is the meds or the "just because" or the placebo effect. Doesn't matter to me as long as it continues!! :D ;D

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Great! news I am happy you are back to feeling better :)

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Hi deadeye I was hoping you are back to feeling better.
    You can try OTC allergy meds or nasal sprays I have read several posts on the old forums that it helps them with MM symptoms.

4. deadeye

deadeye Member

May 12, 2014
    will do thanks so much

5. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    So I scheduled a hearing test for next week. It will be interesting what it shows. I think my hearing, today, is better than it has been for a few years. I can hold the phone to my ear and actually hear the dial tone and the words (while not as loud or clear as the right ear) are understood without it sounding like "wah wa wah wah wa wah". Hopefully this trend continues.

For sure my pressure has been minimal, ringing low more like "air" sounds and no vertigo. Since getting back on the first manufacturer's med the ringing went right away within two days.

Fingers crossed. I would love love love to see some positive trend on my hearing test - that would be proof where the rest could be "just because". I have not had any increase in hearing (only worse) for 2 years.

I will keep everyone posted. So far so good.

6. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Nice improvements! I hope you get good results on your hearing test. fingers crossed!

7. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    So, hearing test results (a year since last tested). No further reduction in hearing in the low registers, there was one low tone that did get slightly better (good news is that it was/is my worst tone for hearing so any improvement is good!). No significant changes in the upper register tones - not better/not worse. There was one mid-tone that improved significantly - from 40 to 20. I would like to believe that is a sign of perhaps a bit more improvement with the a/v.

Now I have to scan the results and send to Dr Gacek. Hopefully this is enough to continue the a/v. I have made it through three significant weather storms on the a/v with no symptom increase which is good for me!

8. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Sounds good! nicgmer seems like the AVs are doing right by you :)

9. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Great news. I was told the highest registers are the least likely to improve. That was true in my case.

10. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Dr. Gacek reviewed my hearing test. Said it was not surprising that there was not more improvement because it depends on the length of time the hearing has been gone and severity.

The tone that improved so much was the 2000Hz - and that one is back to perfect. SO if I could just get everyone to talk in the same tone I would be great! ;D

11. Vicki

Vicki Guest

LOL glad that tone is back to perfect..awesome! and glad the Av's are making you feel better :)

12. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Update: 3 months in taking Valtrex. While one (meaning me) never knows for sure if I am "better" or if it is "just one of those good periods" I will share that I have been doing pretty good. Minimal ringing; occasional pressure. No vertigo so far. A couple of weeks ago was an "off" weekend - pressure skyrocketed, ringing increased but I took the extra Valtrex on those two days and I never went dizzy. Definitely felt like it could happen at any moment but very thankful it didn't.

Haven't had any bad side effects either.

I still end each day giving thanks for "a good ear day" and "not going dizzy". That thanks is first and last each night. :)

13. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Great news! Keep doing what is working. It took me quite a while to get full (meaning into normal range) hearing improvement in all frequencies. Don't remember how long, but longer than 3 months.

14. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Awesome! BTW what is the dosage you are on? and what dosage did you increase when having a bad day?

15. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I am taking Valtrex 1g/day. On the off days I took an extra one.

16. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Thank you, I have a friend that seems to do okay on 3 grams but when she reduces to 2 her symptoms come back. We are not sure being on 3 grams for so many months is a good thing. Any ideas?

17. Pakrat3

Pakrat3 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I was wondering the same thing. I have CH in one ear, and am doing everything I can to prevent escalation to full blown Meniere's. I too have been on high dose Acyclovir (2400mg/day), until just a few days ago when I was fortunate enough to switch over to Valacyclovir. I too have been having some problems backing my dosage down. Seems like whenever I back down on the Acyclovir, almost immediately, I can start to feel the fullness coming back and increasing tinnitus. Once this happens, I go back to the higher dosage, and everything seems to normalize again. This is concerning because my common sense is telling me I probably can't sustain a dosage like this forever. My GP has been ordering regular blood tests, and I know that is key. The big concern is Kidney function and other blood chemistry. The Valacyclovir is supposed to be a more efficient variant in the Acyclovir family, so I was hoping maybe I could get by with less. Some have said we need to stay on the higher dosage well after things get better, in order to make sure the virus is good and suppressed. I might be a little too quick to start backing down...not sure. Anyone else have anything to add?

18. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Consider famvir too. I was told by my dr, it is the best of all the antivirals to cross the blood brain barrier.

19. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I may be wrong but I somehow get the impression from studies I have read famvir is best for hearing and acyclovir or valtrex is best for vertigo.

20. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I think in the Famvir study which was placebo controlled, NOBODY got vertigo, neither placebo nor famvir group so no claim about vertigo could be made where as there was indications that the favir group did have improved hearing. But still, noone got vertigo. The doctor was at a loss to explain those results. But I think it is a misinterpretation to think therefore famvir is not as effective with vertigo. Anecdotally, I think a lot of people got relief from vertigo with famvir. And some like myself, have not progressed to vertigo from hearing only issues because of famvir.