1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Question for those on a/v

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nicmger, May 15, 2014.

1. Vicki

Vicki Guest

This is the study I was thinking of:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15577784
    Randomized double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial of famciclovir for reduction of Ménière's disease symptoms.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To conduct a clinical trial of famciclovir for symptom control in Meniere's disease.

STUDY DESIGN AND SETTING:

Randomized, double-blinded placebo-controlled clinical trial in a tertiary referral center, with 12 subjects in the active treatment arm and 11 subjects in the placebo arm.

RESULTS:

There were no serious adverse events. Twenty-five percent of the famciclovir group and 18% of the placebo group showed a reduction in number of vertigo spells, the primary efficacy endpoint. This difference was not statistically significant. All subjects improved in dizziness and health-related quality of life. There was a trend for the famciclovir arm to have less fluctuation in hearing relative to the placebo arm.

CONCLUSION:

No dramatic effects of famciclovir were found on vertigo or dizziness. Some promising effects on reduction of the fluctuation in hearing were observed.

SIGNIFICANCE:

Famciclovir may suppress the fluctuation of hearing in Meniere's disease, but had a minimal effect on vertigo or dizziness symptoms in this study. The probable multifactorial etiology in Meniere's disease requires that further studies be conducted to determine the effects of antiviral medications.

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I believe this is the very same study. It is case of not proving something being a whole different ball game than proving not.

3. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Oh my. This is confusing. I am all set to start Acyclovir next week, and now I'm wondering if that is the best choice. I think the way I'm reading this is that all the anti-virals tend to help with the hearing, but the famciclovir does not help with the vertigo. So probably it's fine.

I don't seem to have pure MM vertigo (just MAV and BPPV), but fullness, fluctuating and progressive hearing loss, and tinnitus. I just had a hearing test yesterday and it was alarming to learn that my hearing continues to worsen--both in volume and I had a big hit is word recognition. Just in one ear, fortunately.

What I most want is to stop the hearing loss and keep this from going to the other ear. Second most want less tinnitus. I seem to be able to handle the vertigo other ways. I like that the Acyclovir has a long history because I'm a very allergic person, but is there another anti-viral I should be looking into?

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Famvir helps with both. That is a misinterpretation of an old study. I would start with what you can get hold of. Both famvir and acyclovir worked for me. You can always switch from one to another if need be down the road. My dr at House Ear clinic uses Famvir so that is what I take. Many people use acyclovir because it is cheaper. Generics of all these are available. If you use acyclovir, it is important to spread it evenly throughout the day.

I too am allergic to about everything but happily not with acyclovir or famvir. Some people have reported side effects with valtrex but not with the other two. Good luck. Remember these things take a while to work.

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Lysine has proven effective in suppressing herpes viruses. It can be taken along with prescription antiherpetic drugs such as acyclovir. These two agents are complementary. Lysine can also help prevent a new infection in the still-good ear. It can also be taken chronically without side effects (it's a natural amino acid in protein foods --- but is effective against herpes only when taken alone, without food).

The new report showing that pycnogenol can be effective in suppressing tinnitus is something to consider (understanding, however, that it can take 3 months or longer to be effective).

Info on lysine in my PDF, here:
    http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf

Pycnogenol info here:
    http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=333.0

--John of Ohio

6. Vicki

Vicki Guest

acyclovir,as well as Valtrex and its generics also help save and restore some hearing. Dr. Gacek just published a paper in April showing this
    http://www.amjoto.com/article/S0196-0709(14)00072-6/abstract

7. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Wonder if she could play around with "when" she takes the two doses? Like 8pm and 8am...would the half life of the drug be sufficient to carry her through? Or change it to the times of day that she is the most symptomatic (assuming there is a time that is more than others). I have been doing the evening/morning dose. Main reason is that I read somewhere that the body does more healing at night when sleeping so my thought is that if I take the dose a few hours before bedtime perhaps combined with my body's "natural" attempt to heal it could increase the impact of the med. Don't know that i am right but it sounds good to me! :) LOL

8. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Thanks nicmger I gave her your suggestion, she was taking 1 at 9 am an 1 at 9 pm.

9. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Vicki, another though would be to try taking a 2nd every other day instead of everyday? Or cutting the pil in half and taking a 1/2 dose of the 2nd?